Howdy Folks,
I need some help planning a 2012 Disneyland vacation. It feels kinda funny - I usually help everyone else I know plan their WDW vacations. I have been to Disneyland once by myself (when stationed in San Diego, about 1987) and then DW, DS and I in 1993. We are seasoned WDW park commandos, and the DW is starting to get tired of WDW (it's still the same, we've done that already, etc.). Last year was a cruise vacation, this year we are exploring New Mexico. I have put my foot down and decided that 2012 would be a Return to Disney. I am the vacation planner. As in the last five years, it will be just the DW and I (son in college). The reason I have chosen DL this time was twofold - we have never seen the CA park, and I just found out that DL still has Mr. Toads Wild Ride and the original Tiki Serenade!
OK, here is where the planning gets much harder than a trip to WDW, so I have lots and lots of questions. I will try to break them down into individual questions.

1 - I guess that DL does not offer the equivalent of DME. What is the most cost-effective way to get to the resort area without renting a car? When making trial reservations I was offered a choice to use Disneyland Motor Coach, but I couldn't tell if it added to the cost or who even runs the service after I selected it.

2 - How exactly does the "Dine in the Magic Meal Plan work? It doesn't have a very clear description on the official Disneyland website. It seems that you are issued some type of coupon or voucher, but it doesn't specify whether it applies to CS or TS, or whether it can be used for character dining. Can someone explain this to me in basic terms? Is it even worth booking?

3 - The next question is a no-brainer for WDW, but for DL I am conflicted: To stay on the property or not? I looked at their resort hotel prices and nearly choked! They don't have any rates comparable to a moderate with the Magic Your Way plan (i.e., POR, our favorite). The best price I could find was about $315 per night at the Disney's Paradice Pier! I looked at booking the Ramada (a "Good Neighbor Hotel") through their site and found it more in line with my expectations. It is shown as being across the street, and from satellite view it seems to be about 3 blocks from the main entrance. Will we be disappointed not staying on-site (and saving about $800)?

4 - Time of year, which is best? We always travel to WDW in early to middle February, but we are adaptable. Low crowds and most available rides (fewest refurb, re-themings in progress). Is it ever blistering hot there like in Orlando?

5 - Which airport is usually the best? I suppose that LAX would have the most choices, best price - but are there any secrets I need to know?

6 - Park admission. It seems like they do not offer base ticket options except for the 2-day resort ticket. I would prefer having daily non-park hopper passes. We don't park-hop at WDW, and I am not sure if there is a need to at DL (remember, we've only been there twice, before DCA)?

7 - Will four days be enough time to see and do it all? I am kinda' budgeting two days for DL and two days for DCA. Does that seem reasonable?

8 - uhhmmmm, all I can think of right now, but you can bet there will be more later!

Thanks in advance.