We are so excited - We are going to Ireland!

Finally, we are making some headway on our traveling wish list!

It will be the first time for my husband and myself and we'll be there the first week in June for 9 full days (losing 2 for flying).

We will be staying with friends at their home in Dundalk (Louth) for most the trip. However, we will be flying to Shannon first and will spend at least 2 nights there to explore in our own.

I would love to stay in a castle, but I don't know if this will be financially possible. We're looking to stay somewhere nice, but not $400 a night nice. We will also rent a car, so I better learn how to drive a manual since they seem to be half the price (luckily my husband drives a manual and is a pro at it)!

I really trust all of your opinions on this board, as most of you have proven to be travelers who like to experience as much as you can and have good taste.

So, anything anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. What's a must-see? Any places you stayed that you loved? Any great tips?

1 of the people we are staying with was born and raised in Ireland, so we will have a great guide. But, we tend to be more Type A and are definitely planners so I'd love to have a list prepared of what we'd like to do so we maximize our time

Thanks in advance for your help!