This is for anyone that is planning on driving down I-75 through Georgia on their way to Florida. Be very careful of your speed while in Georgia. Pay close attention to speed limit changes. I-75 through Georgia is heavily patrolled for speeding both by the GSP (Georgia State Patrol) and local law enforcement. Many counties in Georgia use traffic violations to provide additional revenue to their county. As such they aggressively enforce speed limits and impose heavy fines on those they ticket. Most speed enforcement on Georgia interstates is done with laser. Even if you have a top of the line radar/laser detector, you will get no warning until its too late.

One area that is particularly bad is Tift County in south Georgia. They are notorious for running multiple traps on I-75 around the city of Tifton. They can and will write you up for going faster than you were actually going. Possibly from error, but more likely to impose heavier fines. If you are going over 80 mph, don't be surprised to get a ticket for going 90. The fine in Tift county for going 89 mph is $245. But the fine for 90 mph (just 1 mph faster) is $700! If that isn't bad enough, starting in January Georgia will be imposing a "super speeder" fine of an additional $200 if you are ticketed for going 85 mph or more. So you could easily end up with a $900 ticket for going 85 mph.

I know some of you reading this will think, "just don't speed and you will be fine". This is true but the reality is that most of us speed. If for no other reason than to keep pace with the traffic. In addition, if you are like me and want to travel down long stretches of interstate on cruise control without having to frequently alter speed and change lanes (either to get around slower vehicles or to allow faster vehicles to pass), you will find yourself in the left lane going 10-15 mph over the speed limit. Don't let this happen. Its very easy to do even if you aren't in a hurry. But it will eventually get you a ticket with a hefty fine. It did me.

I am not suggesting anyone break any traffic laws. But I will tell you (based on Georgia traffic laws and my own experience living in Georgia) most Georgia law enforcement agencies will not bother with you if you are going no more than 9 mph over the speed limit unless you are in a school or work zone.

So please watch your speed. Particularly around Tifton, GA.