First, an apology to all my dear friends here on INTERCOT. I have not posted regularly since June and disappeared without notice. Please know I am doing well, and I vanished out of necessity, not choice. The grind of covering Syracuse football and basketball, coupled with the expected intensity of a semester of school, has rendered me extraordinarily busy.

Therefore, I told few people here I was even traveling to Walt Disney World this past week. So consider this thread your fair warning. My family and I enjoyed four nights at the Contemporary (and I personally reveled in a fifth night at Pop Century, but that's a story for a different, future report).

From reading my posts, you probably know Disney dining is one of my favorite aspects our beloved vacation destination, so I bring to you a series of detailed reviews, critiquing all the restaurants -- table and counter service -- we enjoyed during these past few days.

Enjoy, and I look forward to reading everybody's responses.

Dec. 26
Wofgang Puck Express (Downtown Disney Marketplace)
Diners: Jared (me!)

Appetizers ordered
Tortilla soup -- A bowl of fire-roasted tomatoes, tortilla strips, and goat cheese.

Entrees ordered
Barbecue chicken focaccia -- Sliced chicken breast in our sweet and tangy bbq sauce with melted provolone cheese, tomato, and red onions. Served with Yukon Gold parmesan potato chips.

At least five or six people recommended I try Wolfgang Puck Express, calling it one of the best counter service locations in Disney. Since I was alone waiting for my family to arrive the next day, I had a perfect chance to explore Downtown Disney on my own and experience this restaurant.

The place absolutely lived up to the hype. Though the prices are certainly more expensive than your average quick service place, the food quality makes up the difference.

It was after 9 p.m. when I arrived, and it was crowded, but i still managed to find a nice corner table with a couch-style seat facing a window. I started with the tortilla soup, which unfortunately came out at the same time as the sandwich. I suppose that's just how this restaurant serves. Not a big deal, but I would have appreciated my server spacing my soup and sandwich.

The soup was probably the best food item I ate all trip. I loved it so much, I had another bowl the next day, which you will learn about in a future post. The dish is rich and chunky, with a strong roasted tomato taste, and the tortilla strips add a necessary crunch. If you like goat cheese, like I do, this soup is perfect. The cheese is dolloped atop the soup, allowing the diner to stir it in as he chooses. The small amount of cheese allows for a nice smooth finish, and it fits well with an otherwise thick soup. I had heard great things about this and the butternut squash soup. I know I made the right decision.

After eating that soup, the sandwich didn't stand a chance of living up. But it was quite delicious, and I would order it again. The barbecue sauce was thick and tangy. No doubt one of the best barbecue sauces I have ever tried. The bread was a thick sliced Italian focaccia -- certainly a step above your average roll or bun. One word of caution here: The red onions are serious! I love raw onions, but I realize many people don't. There is a distinct onion flavor to this dish, and the onions are chopped into nicely-sized pieces. I thought it enhanced the sandwich, but they are not necessary.

Wolfgang Puck Express is certainly one of the best counter service locations in the World. There were at least 10 items on the menu I wanted to try. Fortunately, I chose well for my first try. The Cast Member who took my order suggested the foccacia. Good call. I ate here again with my family the next day, and I will be able to share further impressions.

Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop (Downtown Disney Marketplace)
Diners: Jared, Talie (my lovely girlfriend)

Items ordered: A scoop of premium vanilla ice cream, paired with a warm Ghirardelli double chocolate brownie, smothered with hot fudge sauce and topped with whipped cream, chopped almonds and a cherry.

How my girlfriend, Talie, became involved on this night on such short notice is a romantic and lovely story that I will tell in my upcoming full trip report. Just accept she is now here, and we are off to have dessert.

I have to be honest here. I was disappointed, albeit slightly, with this sundae. The brownie was so rich it was almost hard to eat. Hard to explain exactly what I mean. It was such a dense, fudgy brownie, it was like eating a solid block of pure chocolate. I love chocolate. This was too much for me. Still, that didn't detract from the ice cream and the unbelievable hot fudge. I don't know how they do it, but that hot fudge is sinfully delicious. Next time, I would skip the brownie and go for the regular hot fudge sundae.

Finally, despite my minor criticisms, the entire sundae was gone and eaten in a matter of minutes. That speaks volumes.

Okay! That's enough for now. I have to go pick up Bethany (BronxTigger), and then it's off to Connecticut for an INTERCOT meet. Enjoy the first day of eating, and I'll be back soon with another installment.