Day 6-Free Day
So today was to be our “free” day. A day in which we didn’t have much planned except a late dinner at Ohana in which we could watch Hallowishes while we dined on Polynesian food. Except I had made one other “plan” although there was no guarantee we would do it…. DH and I got up late that morning and made it out of the room by 10:30. We decided that yes, we would go ahead and do that plan…. Eat at Beaches and Cream.
We took a bus to Hollywood Studios and then a boat to the Beach Club. We wandered around a bit and then shortly after 11am we found Beaches and Cream. We settled into a practically empty restaurant and ordered us some burgers and fries. Yummy! The bread here for the burgers is very good, not your traditional Disney burger. I really wanted the No Way Jose, and I thought DH would too because he loves peanut butter and chocolate, but alas, he didn’t want it, so we got the Milky Way Sundae instead. It was good, but I still wished for that No Way Jose.
After our yummy lunch, we decided to just walk into Epcot since it was so close. We walked very slowly (full of food and me feeling sick with my cold). We decided to spend some time on future world. I can’t remember the order of everything, but I know we did Test Track… then we did something we never get the chance to do, we went into Innoventions! We started on the Test Track side because we were looking forward to Storm Struck. In this mini attraction you sit in a very small theatre and wear 3D glasses. Through bursts of wind and water and the video on the screens and your 3D glasses, they simulate a Hurricane and what it can do to a house… then as a group you answer questions on the individual touch screens in front of you about how to better build a house to withstand a Hurricane and then they run the simulation again. It was very well done in my opinion and since we just went through a Hurricane for real at our house, an interesting little experience. If you have extra time or really like Innoventions, I recommend this attraction/exhibit. After Storm Struck we went into the House of Innoventions, which is just a group of displays that show you really cool stuff you might not ever be able to afford. It was still fun. After this we wandered through the Land side of Innoventions on our way to The Land and noticed the Segway attraction. You can actually have a chance to ride a Segway on an enclosed track for a few minutes. You have to listen to their rules and sign a waiver in case you get hurt or something and then they let you drive one! DH and I decided we would come back on our last full day to do this. They also have video games set up right outside the Segway attraction, and Cars was the most popular game!
We walked over to Soarin next and by this time we were hungry again. We stopped at Sunshine Seasons Food court and shared a turkey sandwich, coke, and Butterfinger cheesecake. This food court is really good and the sandwich was so good we returned later in the trip to get the same one! We rode both Soarin and Living with the Land before we decided to make our way to Ohana as it was getting late. I know it seems we ate and then ate again, but we spent some serious time in The Land that day.
We took a Monorail (come to think of it, we might have been able to just take a monorail from the Transportation and Ticket Center but we took the Express Monorail instead) over to MK and then were deciding whether we should take a boat or the Monorail to the Polynesian. We decided on a boat, because it was such a nice day. There was a boat leaving and there were people waiting, but we really wanted to get out on the water… so we waited, and waited, and waited… and then the boat came and our Ohana reservation was in 15 minutes and there were people in front of us and the boat was small, and then the boat driver tied up effectively in the middle of the line of people waiting and then proceeded to let people on who had just walked up a minute before and not the people who had been waiting over 10 minutes. When other guests tried to be polite and let those people on first, the boat driver said “I don’t care where they were waiting, the sign says to wait here” We all got mad about this. DH and I were standing just past the “new” front of line and I just knew because he was loading this way that we would be the last and not get to get on the small boat because he was letting all these other people on that hadn’t been waiting and then I was not getting on that boat in front of people who had missed the prior boat because it was full, so we left and ran to the monorail. On our way out I heard a guest ask the boat drivers name because he was so rude about the whole thing and I am sure he was reported. Not sure if he was reprimanded or not, but I did not seem him again the next day.
We rushed to the Monorail upset we had spent so much time waiting for a boat that couldn’t take us over. We got right on the monorail and sweated through the next 2 stops and then got off at the Polynesian and checked in right at 8pm… Whew! And of course now I think we could have bypassed that MK travel nightmare altogether! Oh well.
We got seated about 15 minutes later… at the best seat in the house! It was right at the window with an unobstructed view of the castle! Wow, I have eaten at Ohana many times, but never with this view. We were excited.
They served us all the wonderful goodies that come with Ohana, including the pineapple bread! I always wish that my stomach could be bigger if just for this meal only because there is so much to eat. DH was a little sad they traded the sausage for the skewered shrimp as he does not like seafood much and he loves sausage, but it was all still very good! The dumplings are out of this world good.
When 9:30 rolled around Hallowishes started and I was so happy with our seat! Plus, I just love the fireworks; they are even awesome from afar. We ate our bread pudding and DH asked for the pineapple and Caramel, which they will give you if you ask for it. We waddled out of there and took a bus back to Pop from MK.
We fell asleep after a wonderful day to the sounds of Seinfeld and friends!