Quantcast Do you ever think about moving?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you ever think about moving?

Every so often, I think about moving to Florida, but although I don't have much family up here other than my dad, brother, sis in law and nephew, I still can't bring myself to move. But, I really want to move so I can visit Disney whenver I want. Does anyone else ever think about moving to FL?
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

Post Thanks / Like

Default All The Time!

I left the fitness industry to become a flight attendent so I could get the flight bennies to Orlando!
    I make my regular flight announcments and on my Orlando flights I also announce park hours for the night and EMH.
    I did the college program and since then have moaned and groaned about how cold New England is.
    So what if Orlando is one of THE most dangerous cities in the US? There's rental property in Celebration, right? Let's Thelma and Louise it and move! (only, no car off cliff deal)
    07-08 Prem Annual Pass-logged 27 days!
    06 Off Prop- Renaissance
    06 PC
    06 Off Prop-DTD
    05 Off Prop- DTD
    05 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    04 WL
    03 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    02 College Program
    99 ASM
    96 Off Property-Magic Music Days
    94 POR (Dixiel Landings forever)

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, but then I talk to an old college buddy who lives about an hour south of WDW and listen to him complain about the three hurricanes that crossed over his house/town a couple years ago; the incessant attacks of the local insect population; the summer heat; etc. and decide that I might be able to enjoy being a 'snow bird' but couldn't hack moving there on a permanent basis!

I will be content to anticipate upcoming visits to WDW as a change of pace from the 'great white north.'

Post Thanks / Like

If my wife would agree to it, and we were more comfortable financially, I'd go in a second...
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about the hurricanes. I think that is one of the big things that is holding me back, I couldn't imagine living somewhere where the possibility of losing our house every hurricane season is so great. We are lucky, we live about 35 minutes northeast of Philadelphia PA, we don't get hurricanes unless it's a tail end of one, no earthquakes, no tornados, not even really big snowstorms, thank GOD!! I wish I could win the lottery, the first thing I would do is purchase a condo close to Disney and then purchase life time passes!
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

Post Thanks / Like

Believe me, I have thought about it, time and time again. However, I don't think that my wife would ever go for it. Being that we were born and raised in California, the thought of dealing with the humidity and the insects is enough to keep us here. However, the thought of a lower cost of living keeps us thinking. Yet, where we are now, we are only about a 7 hour drive from DLR. It is nice to have that option and not have the humidity. However, DLR is no WDW by a long shot.

Maybe I should get my wife to get a job with the airlines so that we could just fly free. Probably not going to happen, but hey, doesn't hurt to dream.

If we were to move, we would probably go to Georgia since that is where my company's HQ is located. Then at least we would be within driving distance!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

We even took a day out of our last trip and took a tour of Celebration with a realtor. For some reason we just can't make the move. We come up with several reasons not to do it..but we always find another excuse to cancel it out.
    I guess the #1 and #2 decisons are..
    1. we think living too close to WDW would ruin the magic of our yearly trips.
    2. of course money..if we didn't have to work
    we would be there tommorrow, and probably have jobs at WDW..

we keep talking about it..who knows..someday maybe
    First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about it. Celebration looks nice. But my husband has spent a lot of time in various parts of FL on business and he really doesn't like it as a potential place to live. Doesn't mind visiting. But doesn't think we'd be very comfortable living there.

We did make a move from Massachusetts to Michigan(Canton) at one point and never fit in, so I'm hesitant to run off and try something new again. I didn't realize I was such a creature of habit and familiarity until that move. We lasted a year and a half and came back to MA.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

BelleWanaB.....since when is Orlando the most dangerous place to be, are you referring to hurricanes ???
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySue View Post
    BelleWanaB.....since when is Orlando the most dangerous place to be, are you referring to hurricanes ???
    I think that she was refering to crime/violence dangerous. Orlando was number 7 on the Morgan Quito list of most dangerous cities in 2006! It was above cities like Compton, Atlanta, and Miami with 1807.5 violent incidents per 100,000. Who would have thought? Let's see where it ends uo this year!

Post Thanks / Like

One of my professors keeps trying to offer me a job in Miami (teaching). My school has a branch campus there and they are trying to recruit people, so I could move there with a job and be not too far from WDW. But....Miami? I dunno...
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

BronxTigger, I'm from Miami, born and raised. So if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer! On the positive side, you'd only be 225 miles away (about 3.5 hrs by car)!! Which is still too far IMO.
    Next Trip: October 19-21, 2007
    All You Need is Love

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I have thrown around the idea of moving to FL. DH worked at WDW for 3 yrs after he graduated from college and he loved it. His dad lives in Tampa (thus our annual summer visits to FL). But my family lives in NY, DH's mom lives around the corner from us, we both love our jobs, and we love our house. Plus we're both teachers and haven't heard the greatest things about working in FL schools (DH's stepmom works in Tampa schools).

We actually talked about moving down to FL for a summer. We would find a short term rental and work part-time in the parks. That might actually happen sometime in the next couple of years. DH thinks that working at the parks will cure me of my Disney obsession. (I think it will just make it worse!)

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to move to FL My Dh says he doesn't want to though. FL is one of 2 states that does not reciprocate his Pharmacist license. I do not think he wants to take any more tests
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I did it!!

Since I was 12 I've always wanted to live in Orlando, 3 years ago I got the chance to move to Miami and didn't like the traffic and craziness in south florida so last week my fiance and I up and moved to Orlando, we may be crazy but hey I just had lunch at Downtown Disney and was home in 20 minutes!

Post Thanks / Like

Part of the reason we moved to Georgia from Michigan was for that very reason! (We did get better jobs in moving here, too). We live in North Georgia, so we still get a LITTLE winter, and the summers, although hot, are not nearly as hot and humid as FL. We are having some issues with pollen right now, though (pollen count of 5937 yesterday - glad I'm not allergic! - they blow it around with leaf blowers it's so thick!). Our annual trip to the World is a lot easier now, though. Less than a 9 hour drive. Makes me happy!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: