Quantcast Birthday Dinner?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Birthday Dinner?

A good friend of mine will be celebrating his 22nd birthday during our May trip. Unfortunately, my two favorites (Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki and Le Cellier) will be closed during this time. He has never been to WDW and I want the whole trip to be as amazing and memorable as possible. We'll also be there with two other friends; one is a totally "foodie" and the other is pretty open and easy going.

I'd like to go somewhere a little unusual, but very fun. We're all in college, so our budgets are limited. This will probably be our big splurge meal, but I'd like to keep it under $40 per person.

We're all of drinking age and I know that most of us will probably want to drink something, so that would possibly put the price over $40, but since alcohol is an option, that would be fine. That would be everyone's own choice/responsibility.

My first thought was 'Ohana. I've heard such good things about it on the boards, but I've never been. I also thought about a late lunch at Mama Melrose and eventually arriving early enough at Fantasmic! to get good seats.

I think character meals would be out, just because he's never really had a "grown up" birthday party before.

The only other place that would definitely be out would probably be Coral Reef because I have a deep rooted fear of deep water. I am usually in panic mode by the time we leave The Seas anyway; I really don't want to add to it. I guess that could make for a memorable night, but not the way I want.

I should probably apologize for my tendency to ramble! Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated!
    Favorite trips:
    Citrus Bowl with the Pride of the Southland: 12/2001
    Pop Century: 08/2004
    Pop Century: 12/2006
    Pop Century: 05/2007

º0ºShannonº0º

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the Biergarten at Epcot?

Post Thanks / Like

'Ohana could be fun. Good drinks and affordable, plus you can get into the whole Polynesian atmosphere (there's live music, and the water pageant and Wishes on the beach afterwards).
    Rose and Crown at Illuminations time would also be great. Even if you don't get patio seating, they have their own viewing area plus decent food and a jovial pub atmosphere. Don't rule out Marrakesh. The birthday partier can get up and belly dance!

Mama Melrose may be a bit of a letdown, especially if you have a "Foodie" among you. Similarly, Biergarten may not be the best choice with a Foodie along. Coral Reef is not a personal favorite, especially if you are looking for superlative service.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would say Ohana or Jiko. Both are great! Jiko is more upscale and intimate, Ohana is more "fun" with the characters. Both have really good food.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

I just called and got a 5:10 spot at 'Ohana! It was that or 8:55 and I didn't really want to miss the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes. If nothing else, we can wander around the Poly and GF for awhile afterward.

I'm so excited! I have to remember to call and get a cake. Thanks for all of the help! Intercot is the best!
    Favorite trips:

º0ºShannonº0º

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingSideways View Post
    I'm so excited! I have to remember to call and get a cake. Thanks for all of the help! Intercot is the best!
    I think you've made a good choice. Keep in mind if you noted the birthday on your ADR and mention it at check in they will bring your friend a cupcake slice of cake with a candle if you ask. (instead of paying etc for a whole cake at a meal where dessert is included).

Just thought I'd mention that option since you said budget was important.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

We really enjoyed Brown Derby in MGM and Rose & Crown in Epcot

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offwego View Post
    I think you've made a good choice. Keep in mind if you noted the birthday on your ADR and mention it at check in they will bring your friend a cupcake slice of cake with a candle if you ask. (instead of paying etc for a whole cake at a meal where dessert is included).

Just thought I'd mention that option since you said budget was important.
    Oh! Thank you so much! I had no idea. I have to say, I'm looking forward to embarrassing him to death with all of this.
    Favorite trips:

º0ºShannonº0º

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgaribaldi View Post
    We really enjoyed Brown Derby in MGM and Rose & Crown in Epcot
    I love Rose & Crown! One of my friends on this trip, spent a summer at Cambridge (she's a smart cookie, that one!) and I definitely plan to take her there for a pint!

I just hope that she'll follow me to Mexico afterward.

I just noticed that you'll be at Pop just before us. Too bad that our trips won't overlap. I'd love to say hello!
    Favorite trips:

º0ºShannonº0º

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: