Quantcast Dining Plan Gripe - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewgin View Post
    The thing is, you can read and read and read and feel as if you fully understand everything there is to know about something, such as the DDP. But, until you are down there and faced with the counter and the activity and the excitement and the choices, you don't know for sure that you really do understand all there is to know.
    This is a good point. I think some guests look at CMs as adversaries instead of guides. Too often I see such folks objecting to or arguing with the CM. I know quite a bit about the Dining Plan -- practically STUDYING it clinically for over a year and half! Yet, while there in front of a CM, who is telling me that X is included and Y is not, I instinctively know to accept what the CM says, rather than argue the point. I think if Disney could communicate better that the CM is the final arbiter, and if the CMs stick to their guns (and their management backs them up) it will help smooth things out.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How I dealt with the DP

Whenever I was in line at a restaurant, and they took my order, I said to the Cast Member, "I am on the dining plan. Could you please explain to me what I get at this restaurant?" They would then say, "Entree, dessert, drink," "Combo, dessert, drink," or whatever the deal was at that restaurant. It took 2-3 minutes. Tops.

There were more delays with people whose children were screaming "I want chicken fingers!" at places where they weren't served, people who didn't read the menu before getting in line, etc.

In general, I felt that the service at the counter service restaurants was very slow, and that if the ordering process was any faster they wouldn't be able to handle it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post

There were more delays with people whose children were screaming "I want chicken fingers!" at places where they weren't served, people who didn't read the menu before getting in line, etc.
    This was my experience at DL this last week. Note: there is no DDP at DL. Anyway, I was at Taste Pilots and they have these automated machines, so you wait in line with the menus right above your head and then you get to the machine (the machines worked really well, btw). By the time you make it to the machine during the crowded lunch hour, you have had ample time to figure out what you want to get. Did this happen? No. Families get to the machine and then decide what they are going to get *sheesh* My time at the machine (which I had never operated before and was not complicated) was under a minute, ordering for 5 people.

But it's the same outside of Disney, people just don't take the time to figure out their order before they get in line.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    ... So I got up to the register and said:

Dining Plan, 2 adults
    Rotisserie, fries, coke, carrot cake
    Rotisserie, fries, water, chocolate cake ...
    LTG has got the answer for CS right here. Disney should suggest (boldly and clearly) that this is how you should order at a CS on the DDP. Race tracks do the same thing to speed bettors thru the lines.

Also, they should use some color coding on the menu items. Red, yellow, green. Red=Entree, Red/Yellow=Combo, Yellow=Side, and Snack/Dessert=Green. Build a traffic light and you have a meal.

Also also, make the magnetic stripe thing better. I had to get rekeyed 3 times my last trip and the key never worked well at the checkout. Yes, I used the protective sleeve each time and kept it away from all my other cards/metal.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my 2 cents....I have been to Disney and used the Dining Plan multiple times..so I am okay, however, I recently went with my family who are newbies.

While we (in my opinion) didn't have problems in the parks at the CS locations, our hotel was a different story. This is where I think Disney could make improvements. The food court in at POFQ was insane. Because there are so many choices and you have to go to a different place to get a dessert and they only have 1 CM working the dessert area, it bottlenecked greatly! Also, our party got separated as we all wanted different things, so my family was VERY frustrated as we had just checked in at went straight to eat lunch...so of course they had not read the paperwork!

Even after they got the jist of the plan, our hotel food court still caused alot of confusion.
    DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    However, it is a dual-edge sword, especially in the case of CS. Every extra minute you help the guest right in front of you is another minute you're delaying the guest behind that guest. A CM's time, in that circumstance is a Zero Sum Game. The total amount of "satisfaction" available is practically a fixed quantity, and so it becomes a matter of how to fairly allocate the available satisfaction among the guests waiting.
    I agree with Katiebell, It isn't her problem as a CSR to look at the big picture. That is management's problem. If she takes the time to inform/educate the people she is serving, maybe the people behind them will listen up and hear how things work and avoid asking the same question. If line ups are too long, then management needs to open up more registers or help out by talking to people in line before they reach the register to place their order.

A CSR should never feel rushed through their customers order. When that happens, miscommunication results. When miscommunication happens, customer dissatisfaction results. When customer dissatisfaction happens, unemployment results.

Post Thanks / Like

However, it is a dual-edge sword, especially in the case of CS. Every extra minute you help the guest right in front of you is another minute you're delaying the guest behind that guest. A CM's time, in that circumstance is a Zero Sum Game. The total amount of "satisfaction" available is practically a fixed quantity, and so it becomes a matter of how to fairly allocate the available satisfaction among the guests waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson The Lab View Post
    I agree with Katiebell, It isn't her problem as a CSR to look at the big picture. That is management's problem. If she takes the time to inform/educate the people she is serving, maybe the people behind them will listen up and hear how things work and avoid asking the same question. If line ups are too long, then management needs to open up more registers or help out by talking to people in line before they reach the register to place their order.

A CSR should never feel rushed through their customers order. When that happens, miscommunication results. When miscommunication happens, customer dissatisfaction results. When customer dissatisfaction happens, unemployment results.
    At my job, my call times are never the fastest -- in fact, I often barely make my numbers. But I get commendations from customers all the time, and I frequently get customers who come on the phone angry, not understanding their bill, feeling they are being cheated, demanding a supervisor -- and by the time the call is finished, they are calm, understand their charges, and are sometimes still wanting to speak to my supervisor -- to tell him they appreciate that I took the time to really listen to their concerns and really help them. You can be as efficient as possible, but the bottom line is you will always have to find the balance between speed and quality. I will zip through the work that is going smoothly and answer routine questions quickly, but if I get a customer who really needs my help, then by golly, I'm going to take the time to help them. Period. The customer may not always be right, but the customer is the reason I even have a job, and I never forget that.

Funny thing is...my original comment wasn't even speaking from the standpoint of if I was a Disney CM. I was saying if I was a customer in line and could see that the guest in front of me was having a hard time understanding the plan -- and especially if the Disney CM wasn't helping them or explaining things well -- rather than getting impatient and annoyed with them for delaying me and messing up my vacation, I'd be more likely to try to offer them some help and friendly advice.
    Katiebell, Citizen of Disneyland

Never wear anything that panics the cat. ~ P.J. O'Rourke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katiebell View Post
    The customer may not always be right, but the customer is the reason I even have a job, and I never forget that.

Funny thing is...my original comment wasn't even speaking from the standpoint of if I was a Disney CM.
    thats right...I was taught that customers aren't a distraction from our work, they are the reason we have work. If a CM was helping me understand something and the person behind me was 'sighing' and 'moaning' I think I might be tempted to turn around and say "it might be quicker if you go wait in another line, this might take a while." haha

Post Thanks / Like

I think a color coding items is a GREAT idea this way it breaks the language barrier also. I also like the idea of having a cash only line.
    12/98' Caribbean Beach
    2/00' Dixie Landings
    11/01' Port Orleans-RS
    11/03' Port Orleans-RS
    2/05' Beach Club Villas
    3/07' Port Orleans-RS
    2/08' All Star Sports (for 1.5 days, but we still count it!)
    12/09' Port Orleans-FQ

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Katiebell, It isn't her problem as a CSR to look at the big picture. That is management's problem.
    And CSRs need to do what they're told to do by management, even if that is to balance the time spent with each customer, among the available CSRs.

A CSR should never feel rushed
    That's a nice sentiment, but the reality is often very different, and just throwing more CSRs at the problem is not necessarily the answer, since that causes more cost, and if cost exceeds revenue, then the service gets terminated. Customers are not always (not typically?) willing to pay extra for better service like that. Often, customers just want a low-cost alternative, even when that means less service from CSRs.
    bicker

Post Thanks / Like

And CSRs need to do what they're told to do by management, even if that is to balance the time spent with each customer, among the available CSRs.
    Yeah, I usually do what I'm told....unless it doesn't make sense. Then I do what it takes to help the customer. (I challenge anyone in management to come sit in my chair and try to do my job for a day. Just try. )

That's a nice sentiment, but the reality is often very different, and just throwing more CSRs at the problem is not necessarily the answer,
    Oh, goodness, yes, please do not throw us. We CSR's do NOT like to be thrown at anything. We bruise easily.

...since that causes more cost, and if cost exceeds revenue, then the service gets terminated. Customers are not always (not typically?) willing to pay extra for better service like that. Often, customers just want a low-cost alternative, even when that means less service from CSRs.
    It depends on the service, and how important it is to the customer. People aren't likely to pay more at McDonald's to get TLC -- if they mess up my order, oh well, I know it's probably a bunch of HS students getting minimum wage, and I just try to smile and be nice when I ask them politely to please fix it.

If my car insurance company messes up...there could be big problems. I am willing to pay more for my car insurance specifically because I love the company and have always without fail received excellent customer service. If there comes a day those customer service expectations are not met, I will start looking for a less expensive company.

If I had the money, you bet I'd be staying on the Concierge level of the GF, and there are others who are certainly willing/able to pay it. Since I will be staying at the Pop (just so I have a place to lay my sleepy head for 6 hours a night ), I know it's a value resort and my expectations for service are certainly different -- but I still expect friendly, efficient Disney-like staff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tez View Post
    I think a color coding items is a GREAT idea this way it breaks the language barrier also. I also like the idea of having a cash only line.
    Problem with color coding is that there are many color blind people. That's why I suggested symbols. Of course you can color code the symbols
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katiebell View Post
    It depends on the service, and how important it is to the customer.
    Absolutely. What we've seen, though, at WDW, is a lot more of the "save me some money" perspective, as opposed to the "put on the Ritz" perspective, in recent years.
    bicker

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. What we've seen, though, at WDW, is a lot more of the "save me some money" perspective, as opposed to the "put on the Ritz" perspective, in recent years.
    THAT is an accurate and profound statment...
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dining Plan

I think Disney has done a good job trying to communicate about the DDP.

As soon as you make something fool proof someone will invent a better fool.

OK, not everyone is a planning fanatic like many of us (it's part of the fun!) but I am frankly surprised at how many families save and take time off from work and buy plane tickets and show up at their resort, pick up thier room keys and then say, "Now what?"

I've talked to co-workers. "We're going to Disney World next week! We bought the dining thingy." "Have you made any dining reservations?" "No. Why? Can't you just eat whatever you want whenever you want?"

Then there are the people who try to stretch the system. "Can I have a cheesburger for dessert?" "Can I get half a chicken meal and half a beef meal? Would that be one meal?"

Many CS locations and snack stands have DDP symbols by snack qualified menu choices. A symbol for CS would be a good idea.

A separate line for DDP is a terrible idea! So is a separate line for value resort or non-resort guests or guests under a certain height.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    As soon as you make something fool proof someone will invent a better fool.
    Brilliant, I've never heard that. I'm stealing it, hope there isn't a copyright on it...

Then there are the people who try to stretch the system. "Can I have a cheesburger for dessert?" "Can I get half a chicken meal and half a beef meal? Would that be one meal?"
    I plan on going to an all-you-care-to-eat buffet, pointing to the entire prime rib on the carving station, and telling the CM, "OK, I care to eat all of that." Just to see the look on their face. ITA, it doesn't have to be this hard. If I want a sundae for breakfast, I'll use a snack credit.

A separate line for DDP is a terrible idea! So is a separate line for value resort or non-resort guests or guests under a certain height.
    Thank you. Again, ITA.

Post Thanks / Like

It may seem terrible to you, but Disney has begun experimenting with a cash only line and I can't help but wonder if this is why.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

A cash-only line can be set up without additional connected POS equipment. I suspect that's why they're experimenting with cash-only lines.
    bicker

Post Thanks / Like

"If line ups are too long, then management needs to open up more registers or help out by talking to people in line before they reach the register to place their order."

I think the idea of having a CM (or even supervisor) "walk the line" to see if people have any questions or don't understand how to order is a GREAT idea. Not only for DDP folks but others who may need some assistance (language issues, questions about products, sizes etc). Since folks are waiting in line anyway, why not use the time wisely? May not be feasible all the time but maybe during peak hours when lines are long (and since supervisors generally don't work the registers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmallan View Post
    Maybe they should have a special line at the CS restaurants for families on the DDP!

Yes, yes and YES! I love getting in line behind folks who have to discuss every single thing with the cashier.

Meanwhile, my food is forming icicles because it's so cold.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: