Quantcast Dining Plan Gripe - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a first time DDP plan user in the story I told. The reason I knew what to do was because of the folks here at Intercot, who I personally know have given you lots of advice, but also because after standing in line for ten minutes I had figured out what was going on.
    Last edited by Figment!; 03-21-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: .
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is, you can read and read and read and feel as if you fully understand everything there is to know about something, such as the DDP. But, until you are down there and faced with the counter and the activity and the excitement and the choices, you don't know for sure that you really do understand all there is to know.

I'm scared to death I'm going to get there and have this same problem. Not know what sides are really sides and what desserts are really desserts and not snacks. I'm concerned that I've booked TS locations that are not going to please everyone. Or, what if my kids ask for something totally off the wall that they aren't allowed to have because it's not on the kid's menu. It's frustrating sitting here in my home. I can't imagine how I'll feel once I'm there!

I'm just saying, be patient. Those people are not intentionally trying to ruin your vacation by making you wait in line. If you see someone struggling, offer to help them out. Don't just stand there making it worse huffing and pacing (not saying you did but most people can clearly tell when someone is irritated at them) making a stressful situation even more so.
    Gina

To be said on April 30,
    "Wake up girls, we're going to meet Mickey today!"

First trip: April '07 and we can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

While I understand frustration when having to wait longer than normal for something, I have to play devil's advocate here...
    I think alot of people do not realize that a vacation to WDW takes more than a just "click and go" effort. Our first trip was last year and thankfully I have a disney afficianado for a cousin and she gave me all sorts of tips and websites so I was able to be in the know.....
    But I was talking to another mom at a birthday party the other day and she said they had just booked a trip to WDW in August with the DDP. When I asked what ADRs they had made she had NO clue that they had to make advance reservations!! So I gave her as much info as I could, this website address and my old Birnbaum's travel guide. Hopefully I helped.

My point here is that planning a successful Disney vacation is no small feat! I think the dining plan is wonderful but being a newbie is a scary thing and sometimes even reading the literature doesn't give you an idea of what it's actually going to be like!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dewgin View Post
    I'm just saying, be patient. Those people are not intentionally trying to ruin your vacation by making you wait in line. If you see someone struggling, offer to help them out. Don't just stand there making it worse huffing and pacing (not saying you did but most people can clearly tell when someone is irritated at them) making a stressful situation even more so.
    Well said.

If a couple extra minutes is going to cause that much grief, they someone really needs to relax.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but my life is way too short to allow myself to be so stressed out over minor inconviences. Face it, we're all confused at some point, regardless of how much we think we know, and we've all, at one time or another, been the reason for a delay, and no doubt will be again at some point.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Moderator Note

Okay folks, it is becoming apparent that not much good can come from a discussion on "Why and/or how Guests do not understand the dining plan".

In order to keep the general idea of this thread alive and open, let's shift the focus to "what can Disney do to make the Dining Plan more clear" and "alleviate the impact of those who may not understand the Dining Plan".

To nudge the thread in this more amicable direction some references and responses to the original direction of the thread have been edited or removed.

Thank you.

As a related Public Service Announcement:

If you find a thread topic offensive, please use the "report a post" button rather than posting your discontent in the thread.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I can garuantee you that I am going to flinch when I get to my first CS and go....whats a side? Do I get a side or order a side.....

Then I curl into a ball and cry for my mommy.
    Last edited by Figment!; 03-21-2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: .
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

We have used the dining plan twice now and the most glaring problem I saw was when trying to redeem for snacks. Many times it took a long time - as long as 10 minutes to get soda's once - for the CM to either get the system to work or to figure out how to use a snack credits. My thought... maybe if they just gave everyone each a punch card that they punch each time you redeem a snack....
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewgin View Post
    The thing is, you can read and read and read and feel as if you fully understand everything there is to know about something, such as the DDP. But, until you are down there and faced with the counter and the activity and the excitement and the choices, you don't know for sure that you really do understand all there is to know.

I'm scared to death I'm going to get there and have this same problem. Not know what sides are really sides and what desserts are really desserts and not snacks. I'm concerned that I've booked TS locations that are not going to please everyone. Or, what if my kids ask for something totally off the wall that they aren't allowed to have because it's not on the kid's menu. It's frustrating sitting here in my home. I can't imagine how I'll feel once I'm there!

First and foremost........

Congratulations on your family's first trip to Disney!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, just the fact that you are on this board says that you are making every effort to plan this vacation well. If you are doing that, then you won't have any problem. My family took our first trip last September and I was mortified of having problems with the DDP also. 6 days and not ONE problem. We (meaning I ) researched what was and was not ok prior to the trip and it was a snap. Counter service can be a little challenging, but we must have guessed very well because we basicly ordered what we wanted and it was always on the plan. The only issue that I had was the very nice cast members INSISTING that I order a desert when I couldn't order another bite.

I also know what you mean about kids wanting something off the plan. I have a couple of picky eaters and we never had a problem. Think of it this way.....a vacation at disney world is a war! You will have many battles. Some you lose, some you win. Sometimes your kids will be unhappy about something, most of the time they won't. The important thing is not winning every battle, but winning the war which means that at the end of the day, the kids had a great time in the most magical place on earth.

On the dining plan issue, I would agree that CS can be a tie up for those who didn't take the time to do a little research prior to the trip, but I'm not sure what else Disney can do other than a little "full court press" at check in to get folks on the plan to read the information on how to use the plan. Maybe even a little show on the resort TV explaining how it works! That would be kind of neat.
    September 06--Pop Century Resort

September 08--Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I have two comments based on observations from my last trip.

1) I can't understand how anyone could get confused using the snack credits at a store or a food court. I found everything to be packaged in such a way that it was very obvious what was included on the DDP.

2) Lines at kiosks in the park seems to move at a SNAIL'S PACE when people were using the DDP . Things seemed to move so much faster if people in line were paying cash. This was the norm no matter what park or what type of cart/kiosk I was at. 3 people in line and it takes 10 minutes to get a bottle of Coke. UGH !!
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

We got ppl who can't figure out the Fastpass system, how on earth will they decipher the DDP? Disney can only do so much. I do think a DDP line only is a great idea though.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

We are using the DDP on our upcoming trip in Nov and I am a bit freaked even though I am an obsessive planner/reader/list maker. I hope all goes well I don't think a separate DP line would be fair to those of us who take time to understand what we are buying. I do like the idea of a test to take before getting the plan. Disney could do a little kiosk at the various places folks check in where you have to answer a series of questions in order to get your DDP activated--kinda like the DMV has for licenses. Might force folks to actually read the abundance of materials available that explain the plan. If not, they will be the ones having to wait, not the rest of us.

Post Thanks / Like

As a DDP participant, I would be willing to wait in a DDP line -- I think it's actually a great idea.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This seems like such a non-issue.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem is due to the sheer volume of people more then lack of knowledge of the DDP. Yes, there is a learning curve. Yes, the CM's behind the counter have to repeat the same answers all day long and I am sure it gets boring. Yes, some people don't know what they are going to order until they get to the register. Yes, some people won't have their cash or cards ready when needed. What can you do? DH & I try to eat slightly before or after lunch rushes to avoid the lines.

And I can't see how dedicated DDP guest lines would work. A significant number of people have the DDP so multiple lines will be needed. IF a DDP person gets on the wrong line I cannot imagine the CM telling them to go wait somewhere else. Also, if the cash line moves significantly faster then the DDP guest line, they will move over. I think this is a big if by the way. And I would be shocked if the CM's turned them away.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I found the DDP system to be very simple and easy to follow when we used it for the first time in December.

Counter Service:

Most things on the menus are combos, so you don't have to worry about a side. It was easy to find the desserts because they were listed under the "DESSERTS" heading on the menu board. Some CM's asked immediately if we were on the plan, others didn't. I simply stated we were on the plan, ordered easily, and got my food. Lines were no longer than they were on previous trips.

Snacks:

We didn't notice any long lines or waits to get snacks at kiosks. Seemed pretty much the same as always. It was also pretty easy to get snacks at the bakeries and other snack shops. If it was under $4 (except for things like fudge), it was included. If we weren't sure about something, a simple quick question was asked and answered.

Table Service:

TS is very relaxed anyway, so the servers are able to answer any questions you may have. Some TS locations allow you to add a side under the plan, others don't. Some include a soft drink and coffee, some don't. You just have to ask. Many servers immediately stated what we could or couldn't get under the plan once we mentioned it, so there were no questions to be asked at all.

So overall, no....I don't think there are any problems with the DDP. Disney made it pretty clear and simple IMHO.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    So overall, no....I don't think there are any problems with the DDP. Disney made it pretty clear and simple IMHO.
    Too bad everyone isn't as intuitive as you and your DH.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Just an observation, because I saw several people mention this...

CS meals do not come with a side. A CS meal is:

Entree, Beverage, Dessert
    OR
    Combo meal, Beverage, Dessert

If the item you are ordering does not specifically say it comes with fries, chips, salad, etc. then it is the entree only. If you want fries or any other side, you could pay OOP or use a snack credit if it's accepted for that item.

If it's a combo meal, the menu should indicate that it automatically comes with a side.

Some of the confusion came about when places like Casey's were originally giving hot dogs and fries for a CS credit, but they aren't priced on the menu as a combo meal. So now it's hot dog only and fries have to be ordered separately. So at Casey's, for your CS credit, you can get a hot dog, beverage, and dessert.

HTH!
    Katiebell, Citizen of Disneyland

Never wear anything that panics the cat. ~ P.J. O'Rourke

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm doing the DDP and will be on my first trip to Disney as well. I think patience should be the motto for some of you Disney pros after reading this thread. I spent tons on this vacation and would hope that people really don't get mad when someone is confused. Because all I can say is sorry in advance, but to be honest I could really care less if you are it won't effect me in the least as I am under the influence of magic pixie dust and everything is wonderful lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tez View Post
    What can Disney do to make the Dining Plan more clear?
    I think they're riding a fine line between clarity and value. They can make it clearer, but in doing so they may reduce its value, since it would inevitably eliminate a lot of the flexibility each restaurant and each server has to do something special for just one guest, or to more broadly, vary a little bit (in a more generous direction) from the minimum standard set forth in the "clearer" specification of the Dining Plan.

Alternatively, they can stop riding the line, and just boost the price a lot to account for how far folks can drive up the value they can derive, if subject to no restrictions whatsoever, or at least simpler restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez View Post
    What can Disney do to alleviate the impact of those who may not understand the Dining Plan?
    This is almost a loaded question, IMHO. AFAIC, the only thing that they can do to directly address that specific issue is have more set meals and less flexibility, again degrading the value.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katiebell View Post
    But I work in a customer service job, I'm paid to be patient with people. I'm actually more likely to try to offer suggestions and explain the plan if I notice someone is confused or unsure how it works. It's a compulsion to try to be helpful, I guess.
    However, it is a dual-edge sword, especially in the case of CS. Every extra minute you help the guest right in front of you is another minute you're delaying the guest behind that guest. A CM's time, in that circumstance is a Zero Sum Game. The total amount of "satisfaction" available is practically a fixed quantity, and so it becomes a matter of how to fairly allocate the available satisfaction among the guests waiting.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: