Quantcast Silly Air Tran question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Silly Air Tran question

I know, this will sound odd, but I've never flown a US carrier before. This morning I had a notice from Air Tran that they're having a sale on. It's not for September, naturally, but it got me thinking...

I don't suppose if they eventually drop the fare on the route I booked, that I could ask for a credit for the difference? The rational part of me points out that if they did that, they wouldn't make any money, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. We're all friends, and I have less of a chance of being called a raving loony here than other places I might ask...

On the plus side for them it would mean I'd likely use Air Tran again in the near future, rather than lose the credit...

And I know Air Canada wouldn't even consider it - they never have sales anyway...
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This seems to vary by airline, and I'm not sure exactly what AirTran's policy is.

I don't think you'd get a cash refund for the price difference, but they might give you a voucher that you could use on a future AirTran flight.

Post Thanks / Like

I contacted them about this very thing. They told me that they would give me a credit for the difference. I would then have a year to use the credit.

I have given up hope of ever flying to Florida again from Toronto. ALL airlines fares are too expensive.

I hope that this helps.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent - thanks. I agree about the air fares from Toronto. Mind you, I could imagine that many people might not notice if there is a drop in price, but those of us who still surf prices after buying would notice! Even if I didn't get an email !
    Once as a kid

Post Thanks / Like

Just my input on this. Generally the airline's policies dictate that they'll give you a credit for the rate drop (with the year to use the voucher or whatever) but you have to pay the change fee charge on each ticket first -- with Airtran that is $60. That would almost surely make it not worth following the rates to check for drops. I can tell you for sure that this happened with me on Delta and they wouldn't give me the rate difference credit (without their $50 ticket change fee) and Airtran's site says the same thing about their policy.

From Airtran's site:
    I have already purchased my tickets and have seen specials for a less expensive fare. Can I get the lower price?

Yes, you have the option to change an existing reservation. A $50 fee per person applies to any change made after purchase through December 31, 2006, plus any applicable increase in airfare. A $60 fee per person will apply to changes made after December 31, 2006, plus any applicable increase in airfare. Any changes to your reservation must occur at least 1 hour prior to departure.

If you wish to change your reservation, please contact our reservation center at 1-800-AIR-TRAN (1-800-247-8726). If you originally booked your reservation at AirTran.com, you may retrieve your booking and make your changes online.

Hope this helps.
    Proud DVC owner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much.

Can't wait!
    Once as a kid