Quantcast In what situation does one need an ADR?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default In what situation does one need an ADR?

Hi there,

I have a multiple-part question.

1) Do all restaurants require an ADR? We are travelling with a 2 and 5 year old and I can't possibly imagine knowing how our days will unfold enough to predict where we will be eating dinner 180 days from our reservation time.

2) Are the restaurants so booked that you can't make a spontaneous choice for a dinner time meal?

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the inception of the dining plan all restaurants require and ADR especially during the most busy times of year. It has become almost impossible to walk up and be seated for a meal at any TS restaurants. There are very few exceptions.
    Of course all the counter service restaurants are still walk up so that may be an option.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by chip2
    1) Do all restaurants require an ADR? We are travelling with a 2 and 5 year old and I can't possibly imagine knowing how our days will unfold enough to predict where we will be eating dinner 180 days from our reservation time.
    Advanced Dining Reservations are suggested for all Table Service Locations that accept them.

Quote Originally Posted by chip2
    2) Are the restaurants so booked that you can't make a spontaneous choice for a dinner time meal?
    Again, this only relates to Table Service locations--there are a wide variety of Counter Service locations that you can spontaneously dine at. Most table service locations will permit "walk-up's" during most times of the year, but a wait of of 30 minutes or more should be expected.

You can review the INTERCOT Walt Disney World Dining Guide to get an overview of the various offerings available.
    Figment! aka Jason șoș
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I know I know! How in the world do you know where you want to eat 180 days from now? What kind of mood the kids will be in? Which park you will actually be at? I get it! Welcome to WDW and all the planning a smooth trip takes! If you're like most of us, the planning gets to be almost as much fun as the trip itself. Really. I promise.
    The best I can say is read these boards! They help sooo much. Also, yes, you should plan on having ADR's if table service dining is something you'd like to do. You can always cancel without a penalty!(except in a few cases, like Cindy's Royal table or dinner shows) IMO Disney Dining is a big part of our experience while at WDW. We love it. We love to eat, we love to plan and have lots of different experiences while at Disney. Maybe pick one or two that you'd def. like to try, like a character meal or a dinner show, then plan on making those. Have others in place, just in case, but you can always cancel if your day finds you someplace else.
    It gets to be a science planning these trips and meals, but a FUN one.
    Enjoy, plan, but go with the flow if things change.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

ADR's are not required, merely suggested, but if you don't have an ADR for the most popular places, you most likely will not get in, especially in the busy season. Some places still have walk-in seating available, especially if you don't mind eating at odd times (between lunch and dinner or very late for dinner). The ESPN Club (I don't know if there are any others - I can't think of any) doesn't take ADR's at all - it's all strictly walk-up seating. With the exception of the character meals, the resort restaurants are usually easier to get into than those in the parks.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

If you are doing the dining plan I would definately say make an ADR for a TS meal for each day. You can always cancel if needed but this way you will know you have someplace to eat w/o a horrendous wait. Check out the restaurants/menus here on Intercot and pick a few you think your family would like. When our kids were little we ended up eating quite a few dinners at the resort restaurant and a lot of counter service but we were not on the DP. IMHO it is better to think ahead and make the ADRs then get there and find out you cannt eat where you want bec/ the wait is not an option with the little ones.

Post Thanks / Like

What I try to do is look at the park hours for the days we will be there and then I make an ADR at a park that's open the latest. I figure we will end up at that park anyway. Especially with little kids you will want ADRS to that they can eat at a reasonable time

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on being spontaneous at WDW you will most likely be very frustrated. And that is especially true when it comes to your meals. Having a good plan for each day will save you from spending hours of time standing in line with the thousands of other people who don't. It seems contradictory, but to really enjoy your vacation at WDW, you must be organized. Your family will thank you when you are seated ahead of the tired, hungry crowd waiting at the door, hoping someone doesn't show for their ADR. So make those dining plans, and look forward to the choices you make. It's all part of the fun!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: