Quantcast Tips for Visiting Ellis Island

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for Visiting Ellis Island

DH and I are taking a day trip into the city (NYC) and we are visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I've never been to Ellis Island and I was just wondering if anyone had tips on how you could possibly find your ancestors. I imagine there are guides to help point you in the right direction? My problem is that I have very little to no information - basically just surnames and that they would have come from Ireland, Scotland or England. Is that enough to possibly find ancestors?
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You actually can try searches through the Ellis Island Foundation on the Internet (Google Ellis Island and you'll see the site). You can search just by last name if that's all you have (though you may end up having to go through a lot of records if it's a common name).

We really enjoyed the Ellis Island museum. They do a great job of personalizing the immigrants' experience. Have a good visit!
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

I found it hard b/c many times there are several ppl w/ the same name. I didn't know our family names were that popular. I found about 10 men w/ the same name as my great grandfather and I wasn't sure the exact year he arrived and his exact age. Get what ever info you can find before you leave. I agree w/ TickTock go to the site now and try to find it and when you get there you will know were to look. We enjoyed out visit there.
    Good Luck
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is what you may have meant, but if you are looking for their names on the wall (which you have to pay to have added) there are computers in the main building that will guide you to where you need to walk outside. Each pannel with names is numbered, so it is relatively easy to follow.

Bring a digital camera if you have one - the pictures of the names came out really nicely with ours.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you find your name, you can make a rubbing of it with a paperless crayon and paper. This could be really cool to frame.

My best advice is go very early! We were in Battery Park on Friday (where you leave from the city to the islands) and the line was so long at around 10:30/ 11:00. If you can, the Jersey side makes it a lot easier to access both islands. I reccomend this if you have a rental car or a ride to Liberty State Park.

Have fun!
    Jen
    S-O-UTH F-L-O-R-IDA! South Florida, South Florida, GO BULLS!!!

August 2008: Port Orleans Riverside
    July 2007: Polynesian
    Feb. 2006: Pop Century
    Before that many day trips and too many to list!!! I've been going since I was 3!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessEmmasMommy View Post
    My best advice is go very early! We were in Battery Park on Friday (where you leave from the city to the islands) and the line was so long at around 10:30/ 11:00. If you can, the Jersey side makes it a lot easier to access both islands. I reccomend this if you have a rental car or a ride to Liberty State Park.

Have fun!
    Jen
    We had considered going in from the Jersey side, but since we had other plans in the city, we drove directly to Battery Park (we're only about an hour and a half drive anyway). Unfortunately, when we got to Battery Park, it was about 10:30 and there was an hour wait to get on the ferry and about 30 minute wait to buy tickets. We thought about getting there earlier and buying our tickets online but "shoulda" really didn't get us anywhere We scrapped the plans for the day, headed over to Chinatown and spent the entire day there. We go into the city at least 5-6 times a year, so next time we will go about it with a more wise approach

Thanks for the tips everyone!
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you didn't make it over to Ellis Island today, but sounds like you had a fun day regardless.

Can I just wholeheartedly second going from Jersey if that's a possibility? What a timesaver!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: