Quantcast The Princess and the Frog (Opens December 11, 2009) - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess since Ron Clements and John Musker are responsible for both Hercules and The Frog Princess, it's not such a stretch.

Yeah, Randy Newman is an odd choice. I like him, but like you said Michael, he's so associated with Pixar. But everyone is one now, and everyone loves each other.

Seriously though, where's Alan Menken? I know, he's working on Enchanted. If only Howard Ashman were still with us.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am really excited for this movie to come out. It seems interesting from the description so far and I am so glad Disney is going back to traditional hand-drawn animation.
    Trips
    May 1996 - Polynesian Resort
    November 1999 - Polynesian Resort
    November 2003 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    January 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    June 2006 - OS
    January 2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    January 2007 - Disney Cruise Line
    January 2008 - Pop Century
    January 2009 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I am really excied about this movie and I really hope that Maddy turns out to be a successful Princess.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

When I first heard that this movie would star an African American princess in N.O. I got excited. Then when I read on here that it would be set in the 1920s jazz age I got SUPER excited!!!!!! That is one of my favorite eras in American History. I love the music, the styles, etc. Although, I'm not too familiar with Randy Newman outside of Pixar so I don't know how good he is writing in that style (if they even plan to have the music in that style). I'm hoping for a home run. Don't let me down Disney!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Princess and the Frog (Opens December 25, 2009)

Does anyone have details on a new Disney princess movie? The setting is in New Orleans and is supposed to feature the first African-American princess. She is a frog princess.

" But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a recent discussion from the News forum.

New Orleans the site of new Disney film

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frog Princess

Two comments:

1. I agree -- the second picture posted seems much more princess-y. I saw the first picture and wondered why they drew her to look like a Gladiator.

2. I have already heard comments to the effect of "Why, when Disney finally creates a black princess do they make her a frog princess?"
    " But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I hope this movie is a good one.
    God Bless, Jacquelyn M. Sheely
    (AKA: Jac, or Jazz)

VFK: DisneyJazzGirl
    POTC Online: Horizon SeaCastle
    VMK: GiltterDisneyGirl

WDW: Christmas & New Years 1986-1998/2002-2007
    Summer 03, 05, & 08/March 07 % Jan 09
    "NEXT TRIP" WDW 2010?

Post Thanks / Like

Randy Newman is a ragtime GENIUS which fits into the New Orleans jazz theme. Take a listen to his "Ragtime" soundtrack (1981).

I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie (I love the first posted "photo"), but the cynic in me smells commercial all over this one.

New Orleans setting = Movie tie to New Orleans Square, Disneyland
    African-American princess = Target-audience marketing opportunity
    Voodoo characters = Mining popularity of voodoo lady in Pirates movies (yes, I know it's New Orleans bayou)

Not that this is necessarily all bad. I just see $$$ signs.

I also hope they resist the temptation for broad caricatures.

Post Thanks / Like

A name change and a star!

Actress Rose kisses "Frog" for Disney

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Anika Noni Rose, who sang with Beyonce Knowles and Jennifer Hudson in "Dreamgirls." will provide the voice for Princess Tiana in the Walt Disney Co.'s musical animated feature "The Princess and the Frog," slated for a holiday 2009 release.

Walt Disney Animation Studios will produce the New Orleans-set fairy tale, which will introduce the newest Disney princess, Tiana, a girl living in the fabled French Quarter.

The film, previously titled "The Frog Princess," is based on an original story written by Disney filmmaking duo John Musker and Ron Clements, who also will direct. Randy Newman will write songs and the score for "Frog."

Rose next will been seen in USA Network's miniseries "The Starter Wife."

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Princess?

The manager at a local Disney store told me and my friend that Disney was coming out with a new hand animated movie that will introduce a new black princess (sorry if thats not the politically correct term, but i don't want to call her "African American", because she's not necessarily either!) Anyways, has anyone else heard anything about this?
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

I believe thats Tiana (i think thats her name) from the new movie the Princess and the Frog coming out in 2009. She will be an African American princess from New Orleans...atleast thats my understanding or the movie
    4/89 CBR (1st Visit)
    10/97 Fort Wilderness Cabins
    10/00 Fort Wilderness Cabins
    3/06 CBR (College Graduation Present)

1/6/07-1/10/07 Pop Century
    1/12/07-1/19/07 Fort Wilderness Cabins

Crew Member Disney Magic Youth Activities 8/2006-10/2007
    Walt Disney World Cast Member 10/2007-???

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to the dicussion that was posted previously! I am hopeful for this one!

New Orleans the Site of New Disney Film
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's great.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

You beat me to the punch, Mr. Michael!

I am hopeful for this one too. Looks good, looks real good.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds exciting! I have always wondered why Disney went away from the successful Princess model.

The only thing that concerns me is that given this list of characters, I hope that they do not go overboard, trying to make too much of a political statement (contrasting the African American Princess 'Maddy' character to the White 'Charlotte' character).

I kind of think Pocahontas suffered from this type of overly simplistic political correctness.

Please do not flame me for saying this. I think this is a great opportunity and great that they are diversifying. And, it looks to me like the main villain may be another African American, which would be great. I just think that Disney should stay away from race issues and the such in their animated features. Hopefully, everyone will understand what I am trying to say without thinking that I am some reactionary.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. I think it might be best to NOT let this discussion turn into a race issue, because it's not JUST about African Americans. I think the fact that Disney is having it's first African American Princess is great, and it definitly lets an entire population of the world's little princesses identify with someone that might have their same skin color, as did Pocohontas, Aladdin, and Mulan.

Political correctness is necessary in 2007. There is nothing wrong with using simplistic measures to include people that might be otherwise left out of the Disney Magic. I have a 6 year old god daughter that happens to be African American and told Jasmine "you are my favorite princess because we are almost the same color" and it really made me think, she's 6 and realized that there isn't anyone for HER to identify with as a princess ... so yes, diversity does matter to her.

I have a feeling this movie is going to be very good and very popular for many reasons, especially it's diversity.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we were at DL a few weeks back and they have this FABULOUS lady called Miss Queenie who sings Jazz at New Orleans Square. I did not know this -- I told my boys that this was obviously the new Disney princess (since she was AA and dressed very fancy) even though I knew the movie isn't due out for a few years. Well, they went right up and kissed her hands and she nearly swooned with delight. I told her that they do that to all princesses. She blushed.

(edited Off Topic)
    Last edited by NotaGeek; 08-02-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: off topic
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Let's NOT let this thread turn into a discussion about what to call whom. This thread is about the new Princess, who happens to be African American, any discussions other than this are BOUND to stir up emotions that aren't necessary in the Movie forum.

Please ... let's keep discussion only about the new Movie and the princess and how she might change the "face" of the Disney Princesses, or just general chat about the excitement of the new film.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Hmmm. I think it might be best to NOT let this discussion turn into a race issue, because it's not JUST about African Americans. I think the fact that Disney is having it's first African American Princess is great, and it definitly lets an entire population of the world's little princesses identify with someone that might have their same skin color, as did Pocohontas, Aladdin, and Mulan.

Political correctness is necessary in 2007. There is nothing wrong with using simplistic measures to include people that might be otherwise left out of the Disney Magic. I have a 6 year old god daughter that happens to be African American and told Jasmine "you are my favorite princess because we are almost the same color" and it really made me think, she's 6 and realized that there isn't anyone for HER to identify with as a princess ... so yes, diversity does matter to her.

I have a feeling this movie is going to be very good and very popular for many reasons, especially it's diversity.
    You obviously missed my point. Let me say it again. I think that it is great that they are diversifying and it is my greatest hope, like you, that this will not turn into a race issue. That is all I am saying. I think Disney should be careful not to turn this into a race issue.

Where I disagree is that overly simplistic political correctness is not necessarily a great thing. When you over simplify complicated issues, you make things confusing, especially to a child. It is my hope that they will stick to entertainment and the traditional good verse evil message and not try to bring race into it.

The fact that they are adding an African American Princess is needed and exciting, but I think they need to be careful about the main conflict in this movie. If they try to make the movie into a political documentary, I think they will ruin their opportunity to diversify. Pocahontas, in my opinion went too far with the (Native Americans good, European Settlers Bad) theme. This is part of the reason that it was not that successful. I think many kids had a hard time with the conflict in this movie. Many Native American communities also did not like how it was done.

So, in short:

Diversity, Disney, Animated Features = Good

Heavy, Overly Simplistic, Political Message in a kids animated feature = not so good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: