Quantcast Why did you choose the Home Resort you did?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Why did you choose the Home Resort you did?

I am seriously looking into becoming a DVC'r. And I have the headach to prove it!
    What led you to make the choice for your Home Resort that you did? Since I can't look at all of them my next trip down, I am going to need some help, using your insight to make some choices.
    Thanks
    2008 @ VWL Turkey Day 8 day Adventure
    2008 Oct. @ BCV can we not get rained out of MNSSHP?????
    2008 Easter @ BCV & AKV 8 Days of Joy!
    2007 Nov. DVC going home to VWL & MVMCP gotta do it twice!
    2007 Sept. DVC going home to BCV & 1st MNSSHP boo!
    2006 DEC. POLY MKV. Concierge & MVMCP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't do much homework and just bought in at Saratoga Springs because that was all Disney was selling. I wasn't even aware people were selling other DVC resorts as resales. Keep in mind that SSR and AKV have the longest contract life until 2054.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I bought into the BCVs because that was what Disney was selling at the time. I also was unaware of resales. I've been perfectly happy with my choice though! (And I bought in sight unseen!)

Post Thanks / Like

We bought into BCV a year ago. We didn't care about the contract ending in 2042, since I will be 82 at that point and DH will be 87, and we are not having any kids.

We loved the Beach Club when we have visited it on previous trips and we adore the location. The 5 minute walk into the WS is unbeatable. We can leave 20 minutes before an ADR and still have a drink before we get there. I had read on intercot before we bought that BCV and BWV is kind of like having the WS as your backyard and they are right.

We chose the BCV over the BWV because of the pool. We adore Stormalong Bay. We are big pool people and leave the parks around lunchtime and head straight to the pool. As long as it is warm enough to get in the water, we are there.

We bought without ever having stayed at BCV. We went "home" the first time this past December and we were certainly not disappointed. We absolutely made the right decision for us. We loved everything about BCV. It makes Disney for us even more magical.

I keep saying I want to try some other DVC properties and I really do, but I can't imagine not going "home" to BCV now.
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

We bought BWV because that's what was for sale at the time.

We bought SSR due to a promotion they had in '04 and the fact that the points would last an additional 12 years!

Now, if DW will just agree to more points at the AKLV...

Post Thanks / Like

Before we made our decision to buy into the DVC we stayed at most of the resorts, and the ones we did not stay at we visited them several times to come to a decision. We decided on OKW to be our home resort since we liked the theme, room sizes, resort layout, and how the resort is spread out. We made our purchase through resale and got exactly what we were looking for as far as points per use year.

A few things to take into consideration when buying into the DVC is to make sure the "Home Resort" you choose to buy is where you would prefer to stay on all trips if there is no availability at other resorts, cost per point, dues and maint. fees.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizsla View Post
    Before we made our decision to buy into the DVC we stayed at most of the resorts, and the ones we did not stay at we visited them several times to come to a decision. We decided on OKW to be our home resort since we liked the theme, room sizes, resort layout, and how the resort is spread out. We made our purchase through resale and got exactly what we were looking for as far as points per use year.

A few things to take into consideration when buying into the DVC is to make sure the "Home Resort" you choose to buy is where you would prefer to stay on all trips if there is no availability at other resorts, cost per point, dues and maint. fees.
    BINGO!!!! Hence the straw poll question.
    2008 @ VWL Turkey Day 8 day Adventure
    2008 Oct. @ BCV can we not get rained out of MNSSHP?????
    2008 Easter @ BCV & AKV 8 Days of Joy!
    2007 Nov. DVC going home to VWL & MVMCP gotta do it twice!
    2007 Sept. DVC going home to BCV & 1st MNSSHP boo!
    2006 DEC. POLY MKV. Concierge & MVMCP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    Keep in mind that SSR and AKV have the longest contract life until 2054.
    Actually AKV will expire in 2057 and it goes on sale to the GP 3/5. OK, well today technically!

Post Thanks / Like

We bought into Saratoga Springs because of the longer contract.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

When we attended the sales presentation in 2003 Disney was selling BCV. We didn't buy then. Almost a year later we bought into SSR. The biggest draw for us was the longer contract term.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    We bought into Saratoga Springs because of the longer contract.

Ditto for us, too.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Also looking at buying DVC. I really want AKL, but I was also wondering how difficult is it to stay at a resort that is not your home resort. I mean I would like to try them all if I buy into DVC.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

We bought at BWV because of the location. It rocks to be that close to Epcot & MGM. The shorter contract never even entered into the decision. I believe that as DVC membership continues to grow, your home resort will be more and more important. I just can't see myself at SS or OKW every trip. I like DD alright, I guess, but I'd rather be close to the parks.

Also, at BWV, there is a micro-brewery.
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought OKW was DVC - there was nowhere else! I am glad it has been such a success and that they have done / are doing other resorts because I do like trying them out sometimes but the sheer amount of space in a one bed at OKW wins out for me every time.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    Also looking at buying DVC. I really want AKL, but I was also wondering how difficult is it to stay at a resort that is not your home resort. I mean I would like to try them all if I buy into DVC.
    Really not difficult at all. You can reserve at your "home" resort(s) 11 months ahead of your desired vacation date, and at other resorts seven months ahead. Usually it's just a matter of calling to book EXACTLY that many months ahead of your desired arrival date.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

We took a short trip at the end of January '07 where one of the main purposes was to decide if we wanted to buy DVC, and if so, which resort.

We began with renting points to stay in a studio at OKW to be sure that we would be okay with the "cheapest" option. We ate at BCV and walked around. We ate at the BW and toured BWV, as they have a model open that you can walk through, right next to Big River Grille. DH had stayed at WL and we had eaten there a few times before, so we knew that wasn't where we wanted, and we had done the tour at SSR in October so had already ruled that out as well. The term of the contract didn't matter to us (no kids and no plans for them).

OKW and SSR are very "moderate" feel resorts to me. Spread out and very much like a CBR or POFQ, albeit with better and bigger rooms. We are not fans of WL theming, just a personal preference, although the resort is very nice and has good proximity to MK.

ISo, it came down to to a choice between BWV and BCV for us. BCV was tempting due to the pool and the small size and therefore limited availability, but BWV just felt like home.

So, we came back from the Jan trip, and promptly found and bought a BWV resale.
    Kat
    DVC Member, home resort BWV
    1985, 1991, 1993 Off-site
    September 2006 Coronado Springs
    October 2006 POFQ/CSR
    January 2007 CBR/OKW
    May 2007 CSR/VWL
    Sept 2007 CSR/BCV/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

It seems we are in the minority...

We own at both Vero Beach and at SSR. We purchased Vero because it was cheaper than the WDW DVC resorts and Disney had a really great deal to buy into Vero. Both of these made it affordable for us at the time. Also, we are beach lovers. We usually book a beach cottage (there are only 6) right at our 11 month window. Beach cottage photo #1 Beach cottage photo #2 We are told the only people who get the cottages are Vero Beach owners so this is a huge plus for us!

We bought into SSR later for both the longer contract and to own at one of the WDW resorts. We feel we have the best of both worlds.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We own VWL. We bought because it reminded us of Yosemite. DH's father was a park ranger there during the summer when he was off from the teaching at the Police academy.

Being from NE Beach & Yacht club really didn't appeal to us.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c&d View Post
    We own VWL. We bought because it reminded us of Yosemite. DH's father was a park ranger there during the summer when he was off from the teaching at the Police academy.

Being from NE Beach & Yacht club really didn't appeal to us.
    c&d,

Just wanted to comment that we are right down the road from you in Medford.
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ssr

We bought SSR during the 15 year special. I would LOVE to own at AKL as it is my FAVORITE place so far to stay. DH takes some convincing and his plan is to stay at a different place each time we go, anyway.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)