Quantcast Alfredo's Closing - Permanently!**Updated 4/19/07** - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyAD View Post
    Awww that's a drag! We went for the first time this past August and loved it. I wasn't crazy about the food, but the atmosphere was awesome!
    I wonder how much the atmosphere will actually change. Disney would probably rather most people not really notice the change.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    well lets see if we just went on reviews like movie critics, i wonder how many great films that we would have missed???
    Why all the sarcasm? I know that certain critics share my tastes very closely, and listening to their reviews is a sure-fire way of avoiding the bad films.

I'm sorry you'll be losing one of your favorites. However, I'll be happy to see it replaced.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

So far there has been no corroboration of this from any other sources. Why don't any of our other traditional sources for Disney dining news know about this yet, or even have gotten wind of it?
    bicker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    So far there has been no corroboration of this from any other sources. Why don't any of our other traditional sources for Disney dining news know about this yet, or even have gotten wind of it?
    I concur. I've looked at numerous sites and sent a few emails to different "usually reliable" sources, but so far I have nothing that would confirm this.
    ANYBODY?
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Authentic?

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    Frankly, the cuisine at Alfredo's was authentic Italian. Most Americans are so used to American versions of Italian, they think that the authentic version is "{bad}". I am not surprised that so many people didn't like the food, palates in American being what they are.

I loved it. It is so rare to find authentic Italian cuisine in my neck of the woods, so it was a rare pleasure to have it there. I will miss it!

As far as the information on closure goes, coming from a restaurant background, I have to say I would be surprised if any official announcement was made to the staff about the closing of the place before it closed. It is VERY easy to steal in the restaurant biz, and as such, when staff is aware of closures, theft goes way up. So most restaurants close their doors and don't tell their staff anything. You show up and the doors are closed, or you get a phone call telling you not to come into work because it is closed. Saves on the theft that would happen otherwise...
    I cannot agree with you about the authenticity of this restaurant.

I have spent a great deal of time in various regions of Italy, and none of the items we ordered at this restaurant were anything remotely authentic. The last time we were there, my wife ordered a seafood pasta dish which was completely bland. I ordered the Caprice Salad with the fresh mozzarella cheese, and the quality of the cheese was akin to what I could purchase at a national supermarket from a Maggio container. The calimari was rubbery and bland as well.

As far as the fettuccine Alfredo goes, the dish itself is not native to the old country. This pasta creation hails from New York, and done right, it is absolutely amazing (although very unhealthy). I was astounded that they do not use heavy cream for the recipe in WDW – it is the signature ingredient in the dish. Finally, the parmagiano-reggiano cheese that they used also seemed to be of a lower quality (perhaps I was imagining). The best versions of this dish add complexity by incorporating hints of other cheeses (fontina, or even better, Locatelli Peccorino Romano). The pasta did seem freshly made, though.

Anyway, as pompous as I know I am coming across in this thread, Italian food is near and dear to my heart (probably literally too much so!). The “authentic” food in Italy bursts with flavor and freshness, and yes, it is very difficult to capture that authenticity in the States. You definitely need a specialty import store nearby.

I will end this rant on an optimistic note, however, by stating that this is an awesome opportunity (as has been suggested) for the Italy of the World Showcase to really upgrade its image. We have been to this restaurant previously to soak in the ambiance and interact with the waiters (who were delightful), and I look forward to a hopefully improved menu.

Salute!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

To settle any doubt on this issue (although Ed is extremely reliable on these matters ), the following has now been published for Cast Members to pass along to Guests and answer their questions:
    Exciting new changes are coming to the Italy Pavilion at Epcot that will further enhance the Guest experience.

Our contract with L’Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante will reach its conclusion on August 31, 2007. While we have enjoyed working with the Alfredo’s Group since Epcot opened, we are finalizing plans to develop a new Italian restaurant concept.

This builds upon the original vision for World Showcase, which was designed to continually evolve and offer new Guest experiences that showcase cultures, traditions and immersive entertainment from around the world.

We look forward to announcing more details in true Disney fashion once all the particulars are finalized.

FAQ's
    Q1.Why are you making this change?

We have an opportunity to further enhance the Guest experience and build upon the original vision for World Showcase, which was designed to continually evolve and showcase cultures, traditions and immersive entertainment from around the world.

Q2.Why after so many years?

Although it has been a privilege to be the home to Alfredo’s Restaurant for more than 20 years, Epcot is transitioning to a new Italian dining experience where Italy’s rich history and vibrant culture will continue to enrich the Guest experience.

Q3.When will Alfredo’s close?

Alfredo’s is currently scheduled to close at the end of August 2007.

Q4.When will the new restaurant open?

Although details are still coming together, we expect the restaurant to close temporarily during the transition process.

Q5.What is coming in its place?

While we are not ready to announce this new restaurant, we are currently finalizing negotiations with a strategic partner. We look forward to sharing more details once they are finalized.

Q6.Will this change impact the Food & Wine Festival?

No. Everything will operate as normal for this year’s International Food & Wine Festival.

Q7.What will happen to the existing employees?

All affected employees will be presented with options, which will vary based on their current job function and individual set of circumstances.

Q8.What if a Guest already has a reservation booked for the restaurant (that occurs after its last day of operations); what should they do?

As of this time, there are no dining reservations booked that will be impacted by this change.

Q9.Has Alfredo’s Restaurant relocated in the local area?

While Alfredo’s has an established restaurant in New York City, we have not received any information about a venue in the Central Florida area.

Q10.Will the new Italian dining experience be a part of the Magic Your Way dining plan?

Yes, we expect the new Italian dining experience will participate in the Magic Your Way dining plan.

Q11.Will the new Italian dining experience continue to have Cultural Representatives from Italy to lend to a truly genuine Italian experience?

Yes.

Q12.Will this change impact any other venues within the Italy Pavilion or World Showcase?

No.
    Looks like the closure was delayed about 30 days from the original internal announcement, which would explain why reservations were still being accepted for August.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what you are all looking for. Ed just gave the facts. He would never report something without firsthand knowledge! The information has been release internally at Disney. He is passing it on to you all in advance.

Disney dining is a bank of computers. If the information is not entered in - the cast members do not know. Sheesh!

I think our reputation should speak for itself. Just like we had the inside scoop on Pirates closing. We scooped this. Oy.

I just don't get it.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Ed!!!

I never doubted you for a second!

I am looking forward to seeing what the new restaurant "experience" will be!
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    I don't know what you are all looking for. Ed just gave the facts. He would never report something without firsthand knowledge! The information has been release internally at Disney. He is passing it on to you all in advance.

Disney dining is a bank of computers. If the information is not entered in - the cast members do not know. Sheesh!

I think our reputation should speak for itself. Just like we had the inside scoop on Pirates closing. We scooped this. Oy.

I just don't get it.
    A bunch of folks didn't believe Noah when he said it was going to rain either!

When Ed says it, I take it to the bank.

Hey Ed, send me an email with the lottery numbers. We will split the winnings.
    Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to what Carol said - we don't report anything as FACT without knowing it will happen - other wise it is reported as RUMOUR. There is a clear difference between the two.

Thanks again to the ICOT team for REPORTING IT FIRST! - Yet AGAIN! When you want to know "what in the world is going on" - you come to INTERCOT.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed for all your info!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I concur. I've looked at numerous sites and sent a few emails to different "usually reliable" sources, but so far I have nothing that would confirm this.
    ANYBODY?
    I've heard back from one of my other usually reliable source which has now gotten wind of this. It's real.
    bicker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post

I just don't get it.
    No, I think you misunderstood some of the comments (at least mine). It is one thing to learn about something a matter of hours before other sources, but Ed scooped the other sources by a matter of days. I think folks are or should be blown away by how far in advance Ed told us about this, as compare to other sources of advance information. It is highly unusual -- utterly remarkable -- for just one of these sources to gain access to this kind of information so much earlier than the rest.
    bicker

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CousinLouie View Post
    As far as the fettuccine Alfredo goes, the dish itself is not native to the old country. This pasta creation hails from New York, and done right, it is absolutely amazing (although very unhealthy).
    Actually, that's totally incorrect. The dish has its roots in the pasta with butter and cheese that is about as authentic Italian as you can get. Fettuccine Alfredo itself was invented and popularized in Italy.

From wiki:

History

Pasta tossed with cheese and butter or cream have a long history both in Italy and abroad.

It was popularized among American tourists in Rome by the restauranteur Alfredo di Lelio, who served it with his own name attached:
    Fettuccine al burro is associated in every tourist's mind with Rome, possibly because the original Alfredo succeeded in making its serving a spectacle reminiscent of grand opera.
    The restaurant's story is that the dish was invented by di Lelio at his restaurant Alfredo alla Scrofa in 1914 as a variation of fettuccine al burro. When butter was added both before and after fettuccine was put in the serving bowl, the butter was known as doppio burro (double butter). Di Lelio's original contribution was to double the amount of butter in the bowl before the fettuccine would be poured in, thus a triplo burro (triple butter) effect instead of double.

As the story goes, Fettuccine Alfredo became extremely popular, and di Lelio's restaurant attracted many celebrities. Two of these were Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, who fell in love with the dish while on their honeymoonin 1927, and gave him a golden fork to serve it. On their return to the United States they asked for the same recipe, and thus introduced it to the New World. It was also no doubt popularized by the opening of branches of the original Alfredo's in New York and the EPCOT Center in Orlando.

Despite the story, references to Fettuccine alfredo in American books and newspapers are sparse until about 1980. Fettuccine Alfredo has now become ubiquitous in Italian-American restaurants in the United States, though in Italy, it is mostly served to American tourists.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats so sad to hear and read....
    It's all about me ~*~

~*~ Disney Forever ~ I'll always be a Princess ~*~
    P I Forever
    DVC Owner
    **Jonas Brothers Forever** I met them, hugged them and then I freaked out...Kevin smells FANTASTIC!Burnin Up - 2 concerts ~ Look Me In The Eyes - 3 concerts ~ Best of Both Worlds - 2 concerts

Post Thanks / Like

The open dining plan for everyone has killed the epcot experience for us....i am sad to see alfredos go but would be open to something in it'''s place...lets face it..epcot dining is not what it was..

Post Thanks / Like

It's been ages since I've posted anything, but when I read this today I almost cried. I know that many people do not share my enthusiasm for Alfredo's, but this was one of my favorite restaurants in the universe. I never, ever had a bad experience there. I cannot comment on the entire menu as I always ordered the fettucini, but I loved it! Living so close to Chicago, I am surrounded by wonderful Italian restaurants. Still, I looked forward to Alfredo's every year and am sad that we won't be able to enjoy it in November.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    Way to go Ed!!!

I never doubted you for a second!

In those immortal words of "The King"....

Thank ya. Thank ya very much....
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine63 View Post
    lets face it..epcot dining is not what it was..
    That cuts both ways. I read message after message on online forums from folks saying how the Dining Plan has finally made table-service dining affordable enough for them. So for those folks, indeed Epcot dining is not what it was -- it's now a possibility; it's now something they can enjoy instead of something to be envious of. And apparently, the number of folks seeing this as a big big improvement is far greater than those of us who have always doing table-service dining at Epcot.
    bicker

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Just bumping up for the sake of those who may have missed this. ...
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: