Quantcast Alfredo's Closing - Permanently!**Updated 4/19/07** - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel for those who have enjoyed dining at Alfredo's, it's always difficult to see a favorite disappear. That being said, I won't miss it. We only dined there once and that was enough for us. Service was poor and the Alfredo itself was a plate of pasty pasta. We have had much better locally. Sure, it could have be just a bad day to try it but restaurants, just like people, only have one chance to make a first impression.
    Last edited by DisneyorBust; 02-27-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys! I'm kinda freaked out...here's why:

In 1998, as part of my college graduation, my parents took me and my girlfriend to Disney World. Now, they didn't much like this girl, cuz my parents thought she was controlling and boring...and they were right (for those of you that know me, my wife is very definitely neither).

Anyway, when we went to the Magic Kingdom, we ate at El Pirata y el Perico and the Plaza Pavilion (we did just graduate from college, after all). At DS, we ate at the Soundstage restaurant and for dinner, we grabbed something at the Backlot Express and went to see HOND. The next day was Animal Kingdom, and we splurged to have lunch at the Rainforest Cafe (still there, FOR NOW...just kidding) but when we left, we went to DTD to have dinner at the Gourmet Pantry. Then, on our final day, we decided to go all out...we headed to EPCOT, and for lunch, we went to Au Petit Cafe, and dinner was, of course, at Alfredo's.

So, in other words...not only is it my fault that Alfredo's is going away, but now we have to be careful about the Rainforest Cafe in AK.

Anybody else think someone was trying to tell me something? It's kinda like that movie Final Destination, but without the dying.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've heard more complaints about Alfredo's, especially the service, than any other restaurant in WDW. We ate there about five years ago and have not been back so I only have the one experience but it was not a good one. We had an indifferent, unattentive waiter who brought us cold food and there was no warmth or feeling of 'We're glad you're here!". In fact, I got the feeling that they couldn't wait for us to leave. I won't miss it.
    Dan

1993-Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

I've already missed it It just doesn't seem the same as it was 24 years ago. It was the very first restaurant we dined at in Dec. 1982 when EPCOT opened and we loved it. The last time we ate there was Dec. 2005- It used to be a must do and this past year we didn't bother to eat there.
    Our service there in 2003 was excellent. The girls loved the young Italian waiter doting over them. I haven't been so pleased with the food.
    Can't wait to see what they do with it.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Alfredo's for the first time in December 2005. I was there just as the restaurant opened for dinner and before they sat anyone, the Manager told us the story about the restaurant, the Alfredo, etc.....it was really nice.

We went for the second time in September 2006. This time, we had musicians, singers....it was really neat.

Both times I've gotten the Alfredo. It's awesome. The thicker...the better. he he

I am going to WDW again in March 2007. I just called and changed my reservation from Nine Dragons to Alfredo's....because, on this site, it states that they are closing in July of this year.

I got to talking to the Dining Reservation staff when I called and told her why I was changing my reservation....she said she had no idea.

I'm sad it's closing, but very excited to see the new restaurant.

I've never had a problem with the staff,...they were always nice to me. BUT....when I went to Wolfgang Pucks --- the waiter was 10x better. You can tell a difference between a good server and a GREAT server. It was incredible at Wolfgang Pucks.

Anyhow.....

Change is a part of life......even in the restaurant business.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

i am truly going to miss alfredos...i didnt go there everytime i was in disney but ive been there alot..i am soooo happy i went in Sept when i was in disney with my sister...im really gonna miss it...but i really wish we would get some kind of explanation on why they choose to close this restuarant down!!!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    Frankly, the cuisine at Alfredo's was authentic Italian. Most Americans are so used to American versions of Italian, they think that the authentic version is "{bad}". I am not surprised that so many people didn't like the food, palates in American being what they are.

I loved it. It is so rare to find authentic Italian cuisine in my neck of the woods, so it was a rare pleasure to have it there. I will miss it!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just got back from overseas where I didn't eat Americanized Italian; to my American palate, it wasn't nearly as good. I think that many people who don't like Alfredo's are those who are accustomed to Americanized Italian (which is typically sweeter than "authentic" foreign cuisine).
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't believe it when I read it. Our family went here with the Candlelight Processional package. It was Christmas Eve, pouring down rain, and we got in and had a ball waving our napkins and singing Italian (or at least our version of it!) It was such a great time. My husband still talks about how good the salmon was. I agree with a previous poster though. I thought this was a DW restaurant..didn't know you could "bring in your own". But they allow McDonalds so who knows...I will keep an open mind and hope for good food and reviews from the next place.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

This was my favorite restaurant in all of WDW!

Post Thanks / Like

Awww that's a drag! We went for the first time this past August and loved it. I wasn't crazy about the food, but the atmosphere was awesome!
    Andrea

Dec. '96- All Star Sports

May '98- Caribbean Beach Resort
    Dec. '98- All Star Sports
    Jan. '00- Off Site
    Dec. '01- All Star Sports
    Dec. '03- All Star Sports
    Jan. '05- Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. '06- Pop Century
    Aug. '06- All Star Movies
    Next Trip: Jan. '09- Running the half marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natazu View Post

Is it Alligator Tears since it's Florida or still just Crocodile Tears?
    They can be whatever you want Jym. We have both, alligators and crocs , in southern Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BhamWriter View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just got back from overseas where I didn't eat Americanized Italian; to my American palate, it wasn't nearly as good. I think that many people who don't like Alfredo's are those who are accustomed to Americanized Italian (which is typically sweeter than "authentic" foreign cuisine).
    Funny - my initial thought was for them to replace the restaurant with one that could be found in Little Italy. Then immediately following that thought - I had a "D'oh" moment - I said to myself - "Little Italy is in the USA, you dodo!"
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

My girlfriend and I were denied dining at Alfredos due to some reservation technicalities, and we were set to eat there this August. One month too late.

Post Thanks / Like

This has *always* been an extremely popular restaurant in WS, ("The Unofficial Guide to WDW" reports it is the *most* popular) which makes it's closing all the more puzzling.

If I had to guess, it's some behind the scenes wrangling between their owners and Disney management, possibly over the DDP.

Many TS restaurants seem to have suffered in DDP's aftermath. Many servers seem downright upset once you tell them you are on the plan.

Being independently owned, they make lots of their money from alcohol and sales of extra appetizers and such...It seems to me that the 'downward spiral' began shortly after the DDP was introduced.

It's sad to see them ago, of course, but also exciting wondering what will be built in it's place

We had our first meal there way back in '92, and the service and food was so perfect I remember it to this day.
    "It's the circle of life... and it moves us all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    This is great news IMHO. This place is one of the only TS restaurants that we've never tried, due to how consistently it has received poor reviews from folks who's reviews have been useful to us in the past. Hopefully, the replacement will be substantially better -- it'll be great to have the chance to try a wholly brand-new restaurant at WDW for a change.

And if we're especially lucky, maybe the new restaurant will be Disney-owned.
    well lets see if we just went on reviews like movie critics, i wonder how many great films that we would have missed??? due to a critics own opionion of the movie, i've also heard bad things about le chef de france, but we've eaten their and thought that it was 1 of the best TS resturants that Disney has to offer! i can only speak for my family, as i said in an earlier post Alfredo's will be missed.

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

i love alfredos and i am so sad to see it go... this may will be my last meal there hopefully the new italian restaurant they plan to put in its place will be just as good.
    -Corey-

Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden you're walking out on me? I don't think so, not right now. You're getting your wishes, so sit down!

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there our past two trips and thought it was pretty good. I am sure it will be replaced by something just as good. I an Italian fan anyway.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

until i hear official word from Disney I am still planning on making ADR's for here when I go. I am however going to double book so that I have an backup ADR in case this is true.
    Brandie

Past Trip:
    July 2002 offsite at Alan's Grandparents
    Sept 2007 stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, Free Dining (Got Engaged)

Post Thanks / Like

1) This is good news!
    2) I usually recommended against this to people.
    3) The problems I saw were
    . . . tables too close to each other
    . . . food was becoming bland & pedestrian
    . . . service started to get too slow
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisnIse View Post
    OK, I didn't realize that the EPCOT restaurants were not owned/operated by WDW. I just assumed that it was a WDW entity in itself.
    Some are operated by WDW some are not. I wonder if DDP is hurting the ones that are not operated by WDW. I notice that their are alot of complaints about DDP hurting service, and I have not experienced that, but when I started thinking about it, all my favorite TS are operated by Disney. Also most of my favorites are buffets or family style, so there is not much the server really has to do.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: