Quantcast Driving from Dallas

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Driving from Dallas

We will be making our third trip to WDW this July. I typically prefer the interstates and as such I have always taken I-20 east to Shreveport then I-49 down to I-10 and across to I-75. Street Atlas likes to route you along I-20to Jackson then down US49 to US98 to Mobile. Has anyone driven this route? It is about 50 miles shorter than the all interstate route. I'm guessing that it is pretty much a wash on elapsed time since I assume the speed limits are lower and there are probably more stops because of all the towns along the way.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have driven it one time, in 5 trips to florida. It was slower for us because of the towns and all. The scenery is a nice change from the "normal" route we drive, but we only drove it once. I prefer interstates when I want to get from point A to point B. I think is actually took us a bit longer going the way you are considering. But then when there is a wreck on one of the I-10 bridges in LA, it takes longer that way. Enjoy the drive whichever way you go.
    Dance like nobody's watching.
    1976 The original Ft Wilderness
    2002 WL
    2003 FW
    2004 FW
    2005 FW
    2006 BCV/AKL
    2006 FW
    2007 FW
    2008 FW
    2009 FW
    2009 VWL/BCV

Post Thanks / Like

While that route is getting better( 4 lanes in some places) I would still stick to the interstate. Either way, have a great trip!!
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Default check on closed roads...

HI,

You might want to check and make sure that all those roads are still open. Last year one of the bridges (I think that connects either HWY 90 or 98) was still out from the hurricane. Just thought you might want to know before you head out on your trip. We hope to be making our first camping trip to Disney in late May. We can't wait. Enjoy!!

Post Thanks / Like

We drove the interstate to Disney last month from Leonard, TX (NE of McKinney) and had no problems at all; however coming back home east of Pensacola the highway was backed up on the other side for miles for a little bit of construction. My suggestion is to NOT be running late or even cutting it close if you have to be there at a certain time. Also look out when you hit 75 in Florida. Everyone seemed to be driving a bit crazy. (Much worse than Dallas after a rain shower) We saw the worst act of road rage on the way down. Be careful and buckle up.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually go thru Shreveport, Vicksburg, Mobile, Pensecola, and on that way. Last year we were at a reunion and had to go Waco to Houston area and along the coast. Seemed like it took longer. I know the bridge you are talking about...it was ok last summer. Not fully complete and you had to drive across metal sections here and there (scary for me because I hate driving over water.) Interstate works best for us because we pull a travel trailer to WDW. Boring, but better. Have fun..
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: