Quantcast HUGE WDW Fan. Will Disneyland disappoint? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You will not be dissapointed making a trip to Disneyland. I enjoy going to Florida, but I love all my trips to Disneyland too. Each resort is unique, as well as very similar. You will have a great time.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jkj1224
    Does anyone know if they still throw mardi gras beads from the balconies?
    On occasion, but you never know when. So if you get some it is because you happened to be lucky enough to be in New Orleans Square at the right time.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jkj1224
    Does anyone know if they still throw mardi gras beads from the balconies?
    I got my beads about 3 years ago by just walking up to one of the Royal Street Bachelors. After they finished their set, the guitarist was handing them out to a few kids and a line developed. So I got in line before he ran out. Easy as pie!

The lastest thing to happen on the balconies over NOS is a pirate goes up on the balcony and stirs up the crowd to become pirates and gets everyone to repeat a pirate oath. Don't know if that is still going on or if it was a summer thing.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge fan of WDW and have been going at least once a year since 1996. This past November I took my first extensive trip to Disneyland (I had been twice before just for Day Trips many years ago) and words fail me when attempting to say how much I fell in love with the place. The main thing is that they are both wonderful and amazing in their own right. No need to compare them in an effort to determine which is better. They are are both worthy of a visit and they generate very different feelings from the experience. If you go into a Disneyland first time trip with an open mind I think you will enjoy yourself very much!
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't expect things to be in the same place! Sometimes they're similar enough to throw you. When I went to DL after years of WDW, I walked right past Space Mountain while trying to go to Space Mountain!
    "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, I am new to the boards! We live in NorCal and have been to DL many times, and WDW twice. One thing I wanted to add - it is great to be able to walk across the esplanade to park hop! DL getting crowded - just walk over to DCA. It is also nice to be able to walk right into downtown Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

to INTERCOT, misty2!!

We're glad to have you here.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Thank you for the welcome!

MDinPA Guest

As others have said, you can't compare.

Disneyland to me is filled with memories and history that WDW just doesn't have.

Disneyland is quaint, WDW is garish.

Disneyland is relaxed, WDW is hectic.

Disneyland is home, WDW is a tourist trap.

I enjoy WDW but I have to be in the mindset of go-go-go.

JMHO.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Pirates is definatly better at Disneyland. No question. You also have the MAtterhorn bobsleds, longer Peter Pan flight and IASW, the Storyland Canal boat and Indiana Jones.

Another plus is that there are Fast Food places right outside the park, so you don't have to eat Disney food, you can get cheaper or what ever you want. (My pick is the pizza place on the corner of Harbor and Katela. The 2nd best I've ever had.)

Plus, you could go tho the Blue Bayou, for a GREAT Monte Cristo.

I happen to think that while DL is smaller, many of the rides are better.

But you definatly can't compare the two kingdoms.
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to see this thread. We'll be making our first trip to DLR this June. I'm looking forward to "walking in Walt's footsteps" and seeing the differences between the "shared" attractions.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Man it feels like I've been gone from the boards forever but has only been a few months and glad to be back.
    Can we please stop comparing the two resorts and trying to justify one over another. If you love Disney you will love both parks in a way only you can discover once you've been there. They both rock in different ways. Dlr has such wonderful history that can never be denied. WDW has the benefit of having learned from DLR and planning for expansion so that it can grow with the dream. Walt would have loved both and we should too. You just cannot compare the two by comparing the Magic Kingdom with Disneyland, That is not a fair comparison and never will be. Disneyland is much more than just the sum of its size just as WDW is more than its size makes it. Treasure both for what they are and what they have meant to us and what the future holds for us when we walk through their gates.
    by the way no you will not be disappointed and great answers by all to this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

you won't be disappointed ...

they're both fab ... for me the only advantage is getting there ... its easiest for me in the UK to get to Disneyland Paris, that gives me my disney 'fix'

WDW was my first and will always be special and I can fly direct and its only 8/9 hours

disneyland was amazing, so good we went back 3 years on the row, but the lack of direct flights plus the 12 hour flight and the 8 hour time difference make it more of a hassle to get there.
    Disneyland :2003 2004 2005
    Walt Disney World:1990, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006,2008 next visit booked for March 2010
    Disneyland Paris:1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005(x2), 2007, 2008, 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Our West parking structure is way cooler.
    Tonight, the part of Al will be played by a tall, dark and sinister ugly man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by battle beast View Post
    Plus, you could go tho the Blue Bayou, for a GREAT Monte Cristo.
    Amen to that!!! I just had one a couple of weeks and made myself miserable but in such a happy way!
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

They are both great! I love them for different reasons, but my heart belongs to WDW.

The one major thing I felt was different was the fact that you aren't completely immersed, secluded into Disney. Some don't like that, but I went to WDW 12 times before going to DL. I got used to being All Disney, All The Time. It was hard for me to grasp walking down the street and, bam, So. Cal.

Other than that, it didn't really feel different. It was fun just walking less than 5 min to another park though!

I would go back, and if I could only do Disney for a long weekend, I would most likely pick DL just because you can get to all of it in a few days, when to take a less hurried trip to WDW, you'd have to get 5 days at min (IMHO).

Go, have fun, just remember, getting around inside DL is a whole lot different than the MK... not all roads lead to the same areas!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDudet View Post
    They are both great! I love them for different reasons, but my heart belongs to WDW.

The one major thing I felt was different was the fact that you aren't completely immersed, secluded into Disney. Some don't like that, but I went to WDW 12 times before going to DL. I got used to being All Disney, All The Time. It was hard for me to grasp walking down the street and, bam, So. Cal.

Other than that, it didn't really feel different. It was fun just walking less than 5 min to another park though!

I would go back, and if I could only do Disney for a long weekend, I would most likely pick DL just because you can get to all of it in a few days, when to take a less hurried trip to WDW, you'd have to get 5 days at min (IMHO).
    I completely Agree with you.

I am the one who originally started this thread so I guess it's time for me to chime back in.

We have now returned from our first trip to Disneyland and much of what has been posted we found to be true. There is a different "feel" to the park. It has a warm and personal appeal to it that you do not find in WDW. Both parks were very beautiful and themed very well. Many of you were correct about how much better some of the rides are at Disneyland (Pirates, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc..). We did also love being able to walk from park to park.

All that being said.......No, Disneyland does not hold a candle to Disney World in any way. Now I know by me making that statement, some of you just can't wait to hit <respond> and then crush me by saying things like "You don't appreciate what Disney is about......That is the park Walt built with magic......WDW just has more land". Listen, I know all of that stuff and I'm not saying that Disneyland isn't great. I'm just saying that you are correct about not comparing the parks......because there is no comparison in my opinion. To me Disneyland/CA is a great little weekend trip. We did both parks in 2 days with no problem and had time to repeat many things. Downtown Disney is....nice.....but there is not near enough there to plan another day around.

By far the biggest thing that shocked us was how Disneyland is just stuck right in the middle of everything. It blew us away how you could nearly see the entire park from outside of the park. It even made my fiance say this as we were walking in......."Does it not kind of feel like we are walking into a Disney Six Flags?" Now I know I have just sent some of you over the edge.......but it was kind of true. To me, one of the biggest draws to Disney(World) is that it takes you completely out of reality for as long as you like. It is truly amazing. Now I do understand, that's pretty easy to do when you own half of central Florida. The fact is that I never felt removed from "the Real World" while I was in Disneyland and part of the reason is because I could simply look to the right about 100 yards.....and there it was.

One more time......Disneyland offers many many wonderful things (Personality, realistic park hopping, Indy, California Screamin', and the Aladdin show is amazing!). But in my opinion it is not a true "Vacation Get-Away". It is a great weekend trip.

This is simply my opinion and I understand that many of you that post on this board grew up around DL, so I will never change your view of it.....nor would I want to.
    Parks visited:-Magic Kingdom-Epcot-MGM-Disneyland-California Adventures-Universal Studios-Islands of Adventure-Sea World-Busch Gardens Tampa & Williamsburg-Six Flags over GA & Great Adventure NJ-Dollywood-Paramount's Kings Dominion

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy both parks for different reasons. I have a different perspective being a local at DLR. It seems like there are more of us locals going to DLR then locals going to WDW, but I might be wrong.

We just went for a weekend trip and just savor the time there and not feel we have to hit the rides all the time. We hit the canoes with friends and got all wet. Sat and listened to the jazz band and watch Sparrow and the pirates running around. Eat our Mickey Ice Creams or Sundaes on Main Street while the parades go by. Sometimes during the week, just sit there at lunch and listen to the band that play in town square. Hit the fireworks show and watched how they open up the matterhorn to let tinkerbell come out. Finally got in to see the 50th show with Steve Martin. I miss Mr. Lincoln, but was an interesting film. Even stopped at the Downtown Disney movie theater to see Meet the Robinsons in 3D.

If I was a person coming from out of town, I might have a different perspective. I've grown up with this park my whole life so I really can't compare it to WDW which I do enjoy for different reasons. I do like the idea of more parks and wished we had a 3rd gate.

As to the Real World there, I shut it off the minute I get off the tram or walk from Downtown Disney. I think its your own memories of growing up and things you did in the park year after year after year. Grad Nights, high school nights, company nights. Disneyland has always been my safe place and whatever park I'm in, it will always be.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand all the good and bad points made. I'm going to DLR this summer and I know that I will love it because I'm a huge Disney fan, I'm just worried that the rest of my family might not like it. I've been visiting WDW every year since I was born, and my mom has been visiting since Magic Kingdom opened in the 70s. While we're at the WDW parks- we are usually 'go, go, go'ing- trying to beat crowds, ride this and make sure to do that, and sometimes it gets too fast paced and stressful and at DLR, its more slow paced, less parks, less attractions to cover. Less parks wont be an issue though- because we want to spend time on other SoCal attractions.

We're also used to being immersed in the world of Disney and getting away from everyday life-- but at Disneyland, the real world is just across the street. Other than that, little things like the smaller castle, smaller Downtown Disney, non-themed hotels, lack of good attractions at DCA. Also, my family is already telling me that its "the same thing" out west- but I know I can prove them wrong on that one.

I know what to expect when going to DLR. I know it's smaller, in the middle of a city, not as big and immersive as WDW, but my family probably expects more after coming to WDW so many times.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dixielandings View Post
    Amen to that!!! I just had one a couple of weeks and made myself miserable but in such a happy way!
    Yes. Highly recommend Blue Bayou! Best spot to eat in DLR IMHO.

I might be biased because I grew up by DLR.

But... it "IS" where the magic started!

Makes it special... for me anyways.

But then... I doubt I would be dissappointed by any Disney park! Just don't see it happening.

and Welcome to Intercot! Glad to have ya!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: