Quantcast HUGE WDW Fan. Will Disneyland disappoint?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HUGE WDW Fan. Will Disneyland disappoint?

I will be visiting Disneyland and California Adventures for the first time ever in March. My girlfriend and I are from TN and we visit Disney World in Orlando at least once a year. We love all 4 of the parks and everything Disney in Orlando. We have always wanted to visit southern California and this year we are getting our chance. Will we be let down by Disneyland and California adventures as compared to our experiences with WDW?
    Parks visited:-Magic Kingdom-Epcot-MGM-Disneyland-California Adventures-Universal Studios-Islands of Adventure-Sea World-Busch Gardens Tampa & Williamsburg-Six Flags over GA & Great Adventure NJ-Dollywood-Paramount's Kings Dominion

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all - you shouldn't compare. Disneyland is Disneyland. It's Walt's original park. If you go in with that in mind - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We are huge fans of Walt Disney World - so much so we bought into the Vacation Club. I went to Disneyland for the first time in November. I was blown away! If they could move Epcot to California - I don't think I'd return to Florida. The lack of humidity alone would sway me.

The attractions and entertainment at Disneyland are amazing - so much better than Magic Kingdom! Go in with a clean slate and you'll have a blast.

I had such a wonderful time we're returning this summer instead of going to WDW.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all.

While WDW has extraordinary scale in the size of the resort, I must say that the Disneyland park is awesome.

I visited the DLR in March of 2006 for the first time. I'd been to WDW 5+ times in the past few years, and I had concerns similar to yours. But the two resort areas are different enough to not be exactly comparable.

But when comparing the WDW Magic Kingdom to Disneyland Park,you might actually end up liking Disneyland more. Here's why: all of the attractions in DL are either equal to or better than their counterparts at WDW. Small World, Peter Pan, and POTC are much longer rides in DL. Add to that there are more attractions in DL and you'll actually be a little disappointed in WDW's Magic Kingdom. Space Mountain and Indian Jones in DL are the two best rides in any theme park anywhere.

WDW makes up for it's shortcoming in scale. DL doesn't have EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, or Typhoon Lagoon. So you'll be pleasantly surprised when you're done -- you'll want to keep going back to both.

Post Thanks / Like

Default more economical

I like DL better but as it's been said, you can't really compair them. I go for the rides and there are more
    rides is a smaller area. Even thought there are 2 parks their proximity to each other is such that you can go
    back and forth at will. CA is a great park and Screamin' is a great coaster. I like our versions of the rides better, too. You will have a blast, don't worry.
    Susy the Groomer
    Snohomish, WA

Can we go again? Can we go again?

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all!!! I've been to DLR around 15 times over the years and just made our first trip to WDW in Sept.

With Disneyland, you're not immersed in Disney 24/7 like if you stay onsite at WDW. But the park is so amazing, you just get this feeling of Walt's presence everywhere, especially if you've watched all the shows when he built DLR. Just knowing he built it himself and walked the streets there gives you a feeling i can't describe unless you're a total disney fan, which we all are or we wouldn't be here!!

New Orleans Square is my favorite land of them all. The disney gallery is so beautiful and knowing it's history makes it that much more special. Plus some of the rides just seem a bit better at DLR, I found Pirates and Peter Pan to be that way.

California Adventure doesn't "scream" disney as much as DLR but having gone to WDW many times, you probably wouldn't notice it as much as if DLR was the only park you've ever been to. I think TOT was scarier there and California Screamin' is an awesome ride!!

One thing I really enjoy about DLR over WDW is not having the stress of where to eat! Plus there are churros everywhere, they were hard to find at WDW.

Enjoy your trip!!!
    Last edited by terri.m; 01-18-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: poor grammer lol
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

One thing I can't stand is when people compare Disneyland to Walt Disney World and all they have to say is, "it's so small! Other than comparing the two Magic Kingdoms - it's very different!

Disneyland Park has a much more detailed, intimate feeling than the Magic Kingdom in WDW. Walt's presence is everywhere and just knowing the history of the place makes it special.

If you stay at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels, you do get that "Disney feeling" around the clock. One of the really nice things is you don't have to take any transportation to get around.

The entertainment at the Resort is fantastic. That may be because it's in Southern California and the talent pool out there is endless, but they really do pull in the brightest and best.

The Cast Members are wonderful too. Every trip we look forward to seeing our favorites as we have over the past 10 years or so.

We vacationed at WDW for years before trying Disneyland. Now it is our Number One vacation desination.

Have a great time - it really is a special place.
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

Just go and keep in mind it was Walt's original dream. There are many aspects of Disneyland that you can't find in Disneyworld..and vice versa.

We are bringing my father for his big 6-0 birthday this summer and we were a little nervous about being dissapointed after all our trips to Fla. but we are looking at it as a new experience because of all the new things in Cali-- just try to remember you are experiencing new things that you couldn't find in DIsneyworld.

Have a great time!! Looking forward to your trip report when you return!
    GoofyJerZgrL

YAAAaaaaHaaaaHOooey!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't compare!

And have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge Disneyland fan. I haven't even been to DCA, let alone WDW. For me Disneyland is IT! Of course the fact that I was born in 1954 (hense the name Disney Babe), a year before the park openned, and grew up watching Walt and all those shows about Disneyland may have something to do with my love of Disneyland.

Disneyland has always been a part of my life. From days spent there with my family as a youngster, to going there on dates and getting together with co-workers, to going with my sister and her kids and then going with her kids when they were no longer kids! I have made it a point to visit Disneyland at least once a year in the summer. So I am well into double digits with my visits.

I have heard it said that being in WDW gives you the feeling you are a tourist among other tourists, but being in Disneyland is more like enjoying the park with locals and gives you more of a home town feeling.

I agree with everything that everyone has said so far. You may, however, want to be prepared for the ride closures that are going to occur in March. Don't be disappointed if you find you cannot go on some rides or see Fantasmic. If that really bums you out, think about changing your plans.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what will be closed down during March? We will be there the week of March 18th.

Thanks for the great feedback so far.......keep it coming.
    Parks visited:-Magic Kingdom-Epcot-MGM-Disneyland-California Adventures-Universal Studios-Islands of Adventure-Sea World-Busch Gardens Tampa & Williamsburg-Six Flags over GA & Great Adventure NJ-Dollywood-Paramount's Kings Dominion

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JRock0114
    Does anyone know what will be closed down during March? We will be there the week of March 18th.
    As of now, Tom Sawyer Island, Splash Mountain, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Disneyland Railroad, & Fantasmic! are set to be down at Disneyland during your stay. But keep checking because refurbishment schedules change on a regular basis.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

i grew up going to wdw (about 20 times), and then i moved to LA. now i have an annual pass to dl, and i go about once a week. i love it.

it is different, though. it feels familiar but different, maybe like seeing an old friend that you haven't seen since you were a kid - they have the same essence, but they are a little different.

there are some things that are noticeably not as cool - the castle is almost laughable upon first sight, if you're used to seeing the wdw castle. i have come to see it as sweet and cute. it's like, "aw, a little castle."

also, the food isn't as good in dl, and it's much more expensive. i was just back at wdw last month, and the same premium mickey ice cream bar was $2.50 in wdw and $4.00 in dl.

and, the whole place is a lot smaller, crammed in the middle of a city, so there's less of an "away from it all" feel. for me, i don't get the same feeling as i do at wdw, but the feeling i do get is still really cool. i would echo the magical "walt vibes" that others describe.

some rides are better at dl, like peter pan, space mountain, the tiki room, and pirates, but some not as good/developed, like splash mountain, snow white, winnie the pooh, and jungle cruise. tomorrowland overall is fairly lame. it's kind of a hodge podge.

someone else posted about the local feel. i strongly agree, and i love that a lot. you can tell that area residents really love the park and are proud of it. there are fewer people on vacation, which makes it feel a little more like the "real world." also, because of its location in the city and the lack of tunnels, the castmembers are a lot more visible, which, for me, takes away some of the magic. when you go home, you see them standing at the city bus stop in their costumes. weird.

disneyland must-dos: the above-mentioned rides, disney gallery, the first 50 years movie, indiana jones, a walk-though of the grand californian hotel, monsters, inc. in california adventure.

have a super fun trip!

Post Thanks / Like

On the subject of ride closures for your planned dates at Disneyland, there were many rumors from reliable sources that Pirates would close to install additions. But that has been changed, and according to those same reliable sources DL wants to concentrate on the Tom Sawyer project and so Pirates should remain open in March - unless things change again! Keep checking!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Im contemplating my first visit there, after 14 trips to WDW...would love the history...its further away so longer flight which would cost more...but also would love to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong..
    DL is quicker to go thru than WDW it would seem, so it may b a good choice if I dont have as much time off.
    havent been visiting the DL boards but will be to learn more about it
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

We are also huge WDW fans but are HUGE DL fans as well. Please do not compare the parks. WDW is sooo much bigger and there is sooo much more to do. Having said that please take in DL completely.
    I have said before I actually prefer DL over WDW.
    The fact that Walt himself had a hand in Disneyland and that he personally walked the streets of the MK for me is enough. DL has a much more cozier feel to the park than the MK at WDW does.
    Enjoy it
    6/85 - Offsite
    12/86 - DI
    8/88 -1/98-5/00 DLR - Offsite
    12/91 - CR
    11/93 - FWC
    1/99 - POFQ
    9/99 - CSR
    1/02 - CB/PR
    1/03 - BCV
    12/03 - DCL/BCV
    10/04 -10/08 SSR
    5/05 - PR
    1/06 - WL
    5/06 - GC - DLR
    11/06 - POFQ
    2/07 DLH- DL
    11/07 BWV/POR
    5/08 OKW/VB

5/09 AK/VB
    10/09 GF

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation A different thought

Ive been to both but I look at the whole picture. I go for the other places as well. Florida seems to be bigger in every aspect...WDW,Universal ,beaches driving to the Keys etc
    I go to Disneyland thinking Hollywood ( stay at the Roosevelt Hotel) ,Huntington Beach,Long Beach maybe even San Diego if I have the time. Do you know you can stay at the Queen Mary, Go to the Aquarium, eat downtown,jump on the metrorail go to Hollywood and/or keep on going and you end up at Universal studios?
    I could go on and on so like I said I look at the whole picture.
    Another thing good about Disney, altho I love traveling all around WDW resorts and stuff but at DL 5mins and your at your destination, leaving you with more time for rides.
    WDW
    Nov.2009 Music

WDW
    Oct.2008 Music
    April 2008 POFQ

DISNEYLAND
    All Summer 2007 Hotel Peppertree
    Jan. 2007 Grand Hotel

WDW
    Oct.2006 Royal Plaza
    March2006 pop century
    April 2005 POFQ
    Oct. 2004 Caribean

" BUT WHY IS THE RUM GONE ? "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow
    Im contemplating my first visit there, after 14 trips to WDW...would love the history...its further away so longer flight which would cost more...but also would love to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong..
    DL is quicker to go thru than WDW it would seem, so it may b a good choice if I dont have as much time off.
    havent been visiting the DL boards but will be to learn more about it
    Yesterland is a pretty cool site to look at and see what used to be at DL and how things have changed over the years.

[Link removed per INTERCOT's Terms of Service - please review]
    Last edited by ChipDale; 01-23-2007 at 07:47 AM.

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been since 1998 to DL but went to WDW for the first time in 2004 (and now I'm going back for my third time in November). If anything, MK disappointed me (kinda, but only in comparison -- how could I really be disappointed with WDW??).

POTC is WAY better at DL, so is HM, and autopia. I also like their fantasyland and toontown much better. No comparison. That being said, as a whole enchilada type of thing, WDW is a better vacation destination with all the restaurants and being secluded and all that, but DL is nicer than MK, more magical
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

For me, i grew up in San Diego and have gone to DL my whole life. We never had enough money to take a Disney trip to Florida, and my parents were never too wild about DL except when i was little.
    So in 2002 i went to Florida for cheerleading and ended up going to a few of the parks at WDW.
    The 2 parks are very different but also very similar. I would describe WDW as very overwhelming if you've only ever been to DL which is small and intimate.
    I personally favor DL. WDW was much too big and different for me. I'm someone not used to change but who welcomes new things.
    I like how everything at DLR is in walking distance. At WDW you have to take like 3 shuttles, trams, boats, monrails...etc just to get to one place. There are so so many forms of transportation. I was literally lost.
    Not saying that i wouldn't want to go back to WDW and just be able to take time on everything and take it in for what it is. I plan on doing that someday.
    But for now, i am content with being a DL girl through and through. This year i'm hoping to get an AP!!
    Ariel
    Disneyland Annual Pass Holder

VMK Name: IzzyInWonderland

1996-Disneyland Hotel
    1998-Disneyland Hotel
    2002-WDW All-Star Music Resort

COUNTLESS TRIPS TO DLR BUT ONLY 1 TRIP TO WDW

Post Thanks / Like

It's so strange but even though WDW and DL are technically the same, they are very different. I've never been able to really choose a "favorite" it's like picking which child you like more, having said that...

POTC is definately better at DL, and the whole port orleans area is great. Does anyone know if they still throw mardi gras beads from the balconies?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: