Quantcast Sharpie meets the Monitor

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Sharpie meets the Monitor

I sat down at my desk about an hour ago to find a black permanent Sharpie marker lying open on the desk.After a quick glance around the desk I started to breath a sigh of relief that DD hadn't written on any papers or the desk.Then I looked at the monitor.My nice, fairly new, flat screen computer monitor had black scribbles on it !
    I knew I had to act fast so I started with some rubbing alcohol, which faded the black to gray but it was still pretty visable.Panicing and pawing around the cleaning supplies, I found a box of the store brand version of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.I bought them when they were having a sale to see if they worked as well as the brand name.I didn't have any brand name ones left.
    Figuring the monitor was going to be ruined anyway, I took a chance and started scrubbing.
    It worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is dumb enough to leave a permanent marker out around a 3 year old !
    Hșoș lly

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

WDW repeat guest since 1989!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Holly, that's a great tip! I'm so glad it worked out for you. Big sigh of relief.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I live your life Holly (I have DS2)! I was going to say -- I hope she gets a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! Clearly the best invention since the lightbulb! I'm so glad it came out.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you posted this!! We have a calendar that hangs in our kitchen with a white board attached. One day 2 years ago, when my allergies were really bad, I was lying down, half asleep on the couch. Conor was 4 at the time and when I got up, I found he wrote me the cutest message on it (with the correct marker for the board) that said "How tired are you Mom? Well you're that tired. Hmmmm. I'm sad that Molly is sick" (Molly had just had her "no puppy" surgery). I've saved that message all this time because I was so floored that Conor wrote it so well, and spelled everything correctly!! Con's always been embarrassed when people comment on it, especially now that he's older, and just the other day, I saw he took a black sharpie and scribbled over it. He didn't realize the sharpie wasn't meant for the white board and wouldn't come off. So, I'm off to get a Mr. Clean Magic eraser!!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

How about this I did not even know we had Sharpies markers, well until DS age two at the time found one(black) and decided that our tan carpeting is the best canvase in the world. Well I did a once over the house and found them and threw them out. Well to my surprize he found another one(red) and dedicided the second and third best canvases are my dining room table and chairs. Well now they are not even allowed in my house be anyone at anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMartellFamily
    Well now they are not even allowed in my house
    The Sharpies or your child?
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by conorsmom2000
    So, I'm off to get a Mr. Clean Magic eraser!!
    I'll be interested to know if it still lifts it after the marker has set a few days.I wonder if I still would have saved it if I hadn't found it for a few hours.
    Thanks INTERCOT for never keeping away from the computer too long !
    Hșoș lly

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

WDW repeat guest since 1989!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, Let me restate that, Sharpies are not allowed in my house. Sometimes I wish that could be with the kids J/K.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Oh my goodness, aren't those Magic Erasers WONDERFUL??? I had a very similar experience 2 years ago when my DD5 was 3... I entered our kitchen, to find an uncapped black permanent ink Sharpie on the floor... panic set in... was pretty calm when I realized the only thing she'd scribbled all over was a new wooden step stool we'd gotten, but wasn't too happy, either! Tried everything, then like you, thought of the Magic Erasers.... and they worked!! Like, well, like magic!! Completely gone... amazing... never thought anything would get that off. Thank goodness someone came up with something that can co-exist peacefully with a 3 yr old's creativity... ... not sure what's in those sponges, and not sure I want to know!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Holly, I am so glad that your story had a happy ending!
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love the magic erasers, they take off everything! I use them around the house for anything I can't get off any other way, scuff, marks, paint, etc. They are a lifesaver and I don't have any kids...just 6 furry children and a husband!! They leave enough mess
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

So glad that the magic eraser cleaned the Sharpie marks off the monitor, Holly! So it didn't scratch up the screen or anything?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a good one. My cousins little girl who is about 2 years old took a sharpie and traced her little brothers body on the white sheet in his crib. When she found her she was in the crib with the marker tracing her baby brother and he was just laying there. I asked her if her DD had been watching CSI or something because it looked like a crime scene.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

White out would've worked also ... I'll have to go get a Magic Eraser... it's always nice to know something works the way it is advertised.
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerfreak
    I have a good one. My cousins little girl who is about 2 years old took a sharpie and traced her little brothers body on the white sheet in his crib. When she found her she was in the crib with the marker tracing her baby brother and he was just laying there. I asked her if her DD had been watching CSI or something because it looked like a crime scene.
    I like that. I was thinking the same thing!!
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

When my oldest was 2 1/2, he got up early one morning and went downstairs by himself. Niether of us heard him. He found a sharpie and proceeded to draw all over my living room- carpet, couch, tv, wall, some of his toys, even the cream colored glass panels on a Tiffany lamp! I was in shock. I didn't even know we had a sharpie! Apparently my DH had one in our kitchen junk drawer. Anyway, the tv screen and stained glass lamp just wiped off. My couch at the time was dark green and a course, knobby material so we scrubbed and scrubbed until it finally just looked green. I think we had to steam clean the carpet. Oh I will never ever forget that!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

My 3 yr old pulled a "sharpie on off-white carpet" tirck this summer and I almost grounded her until she was 18! She had colored some long lines in the carpet and had gotten creative on a bunch of her toys too. Thankfully the stains came out but boy... it was a long day for that girl.

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever tried a Magic Eraser on a child?

I love Sharpies, and my DH ususally gives me a new set every Christmas in my stocking. I love office supplies ... it's my second illness, Disney being the first of course. Anyway back to the story ... when DD was about 2 she found several different color sharpies and colored all over herself. You know all over ... hands, arms, legs, belly, and face ... and you know it wasn't just little spots but filled in completely and very dark in color. At least most of it was color and not black ... but have you ever tried to wash Sharpie off your fingers when you get on by accident!?! Our sink and bath tub was rainbow of colors for about a week! What a mess!

Guess now I'll have to keep an extra Magica Eraser to see if it works on skin! LOL!

-Kristy

Many trips all off-site
    Oct 07 Pop and Poly
    June 08 POP/Dolphin

pogo Guest

Boy, am I glad I survived that part of my life !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovewalt View Post
    I'll be interested to know if it still lifts it after the marker has set a few days.I wonder if I still would have saved it if I hadn't found it for a few hours.
    Holly, I had to dig this thread back up to let you know that yes, the magic eraser got the black sharpie marker off the white board - and not only had the sharpie sat for days, it sat for months! It all totally came off!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: