Quantcast The end is near for Back to the Future

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow The end is near for Back to the Future

3/23/07

Following their rescinded plans from this past Fall, Universal has once again announced the closure of their "Back to the Future" attraction

9/7/07

The end is near for Back to the Future
    Universal Orlando officials confirm the ride will be closed for a new attraction.

Scott Powers
    Sentinel Staff Writer

September 7, 2006

The future of the Back to the Future ride is short at Universal Studios.

After months of not commenting on rumors of the attraction's demise, Universal Orlando on Wednesday confirmed that the 16-year-old simulator ride will be closing to make room for an as-yet-undisclosed new attraction.

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder would not give a date for the ride's last run, though employees at Universal said they have been told it would close Oct. 1.

The ride uses simulator motion technology and a large-screen movie projection system to give visitors the illusion they are traveling in the DeLorean car/time machine featured in the movie franchise. The three movies, released in 1985, '89 and '90, star Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd.

Back to the Future funnels visitors into two identical domes that each have 12 vehicles, which each seat eight riders.

Schroder said one dome was closed recently so that attraction designers could explore possibilities for future rides.

"We've not formalized any plans but the creative process requires us to take some steps now," Schroder said.

Rumors among Universal staff members, fueled and circulated by the Internet, involve several possible replacements, including rides based on the Fast and the Furious movie franchise and one based on The Simpsons TV show.

Back to the Future was one of the original rides when Universal Studios opened in 1990 and for many years was considered among the most advanced simulator rides in the world. The anticipated closure has fueled an Internet petition drive to get Universal to change its mind.

"We know Back to the Future has an enormous following among our fans, and we know it has a significant history," Schroder said. "Any decision we make regarding Back to the Future is not taken lightly."
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That stinks
    I really liked this ride and it was always a thing we had to do when we went to universal. That ride was the whole reason I started to like Back to the Future. After riding it I came home and watched the movies and started loving them. This ride will be missed. They close this and keep taking away classic attractions that I really enjoyed. I remeber how mad I was when they got rid of King Kong. I really liked that ride especially when I was a kid looking at the giant Gorilla. As long as they dont take out Jaws and Earthquaqe I will be alright those are my favorite rides at Universal along with Back to the Future. This is so sad.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

WOW...this was the ONE thing that I liked about Universal Studios...

Post Thanks / Like

It's official, we are NEVER going to Universal Studios! I was on the fence before, since I love this ride so much, thinking maybe we would go there during one of our trips over the next couple of years, but now? No Way! My fiance and I are both avid fans of the Back to the Future movies, have been since we were kids and they were first coming out- we even saw some of them in the movie theater. When I was younger I went to Universal Studios twice with my family, and this is the one attraction that I looked forward to. And they don't even have King Kong anymore? Give me a break! Has anyone else seen the movie "The Wizard"- I was looking forward to showing DH this ride. Well, less time spent off Disney property is easier for us, we really won't have to drive anywhere or worry about directions. They're just making it easier for us.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

All things change in time, BUT how stupid are they!! That is one of the best attractions in that park.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I rode BttF was around four or five years ago, the place was looking tatty and the film was in a very poor state. I don’t know if they refurbished the ride since then.
    I do think they need to keep something like it!
    It is a far better ride than Soarin (which I was totally under whelmed by!) and considering it was made ten years earlier it really has stood the test of time.

I’d be happy if they tided the place up and brought in a new film “Fast and the Furious!” tie in would be good,
    BUT
    If it were my decision I would do part of the chase from “the Blues Brothers!” but there again, I am sad and old!
    Kevin AKA Womble
    Disneyland Ca. 91-92 / Offsite 93-96-97-98-02-03-07 /
    Caribbean Beach 94-95-98 / All-star 99-01 / PO French Quater 00 / Coronado Springs 04 / PO Riverside 05-06

Post Thanks / Like

I was there in 2004 and like Kevin said it did look "tatty and the film was in a very poor state". I would like to see this ride refurbished instead of having it shut down. I also am a fan of the BTTF movies and will be sad to see this ride go.

Post Thanks / Like

I could be the only one - but while I loved the set up leading up to the ride and the ride vehicle - I was underwhelmed by the ride experience itself.

That and the typical long lines that were always there were just not worth it in my opinion. Been on it 3 times - that's enough for me.

Pales in comparison to the spiderman ride. That alone is a reason to go to universal.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnY
    Pales in comparison to the spiderman ride. That alone is a reason to go to universal.
    M°o°nica

Prepare to Shake..Rattle & Roll!
    Freeway Construction Ahead Take Atl. Route.Traffic Jammed.Drive Safely Detour Ahead..get ready to ROCK! All lanes open.SO FLOOR IT! Car Pool lanes open..WIDE OPEN - RnRC

Next Up: Oct 28 - Nov 7th!

N' Awlin's girl born & raised

Post Thanks / Like

I hate that they are closing this ride. We usually go to Universal every 3 or 4 years during our trips to WDW. We are heading down in 2 weeks and have tickets to go to Universal for 2 days. I will be sure to catch this ride, if its still open, a couple of times. I also miss the King Kong ride. We rode it when my oldest son was 4 and I can still see him huddled in a ball on the floor of the cable car during the whole ride. We still remind him of this every time it comes up.
    PharmD
    Off Property 76,82,92,97,98,99
    ASMov 5/00,1/02,9/03,1/06,12/03,8/08
    ASSports 12/01
    ASMus 3/02,7/02
    PopCe 4/04,5/04,10/05
    PORS 10/06,10/10
    CSR 10/09
    POFQ 11/11
    CB 6/12
    CB 5/13
    Disney Fantasy 10/15

Next Renewal of Magic:
    PopCe 8/16

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of the “Back to the Future” ride as well, but as a previous poster noted all things change. So I’m not so adamantly opposed to seeing this ride updated as long as the replacement is at least as detailed and interesting. I always liked the fact that the instruments on the DeLoren actually worked in sync with the ride and that the “flux capacitor” actually “fluxed”. When King Kong was replaced by the Mummy, I found this to be a better experience both in the queue and the actual ride, although similar in concept the Mummy puts Rock and Rollercoaster to shame. I really wish that Disney Imagineering would embrace new technology like they used to instead of letting Universal Creative take the lead in almost every area.
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wells
    I really wish that Disney Imagineering would embrace new technology like they used to instead of letting Universal Creative take the lead in almost every area.
    I’m glad I’m not the only person here who thinks this!

JohnY I'm the exact opposite about BttF!
    I like the ride (even though it is 15 years old!) but I really dislike the building and the queueing area, the only thing good about the queue was the TV's, which when it first opened "I think!" (which means I'm proberbly wrong! ) May have been the first queue to have TV's along it's path in Florida!

Kevin AKA Womble

Post Thanks / Like

I saw BTTF on the big screen in Minot, ND, oh so many years ago. I decided to go catch the movie after hearing Huey Lewis in concert at the ND State Fair wherein he played, "Power of Love." BTTF will always hold a warm spot in my heart as one of my all-time favorite, fun movies. I even used it to teach a lesson to college students on cause-and-effect in rhetorical writing! The ride is undoubtedly outdated, but what a classic. I shall miss it.
    June, 1997 - Off property
    August, 2004 - VWL
    April, 2005 - VWL
    June, 2005 - HHI
    June, 2006 - VWL
    Coming: Sept, 2006 - Disney Cruise
    Coming: July, 2007 - SSR

"All you need to know about wine can be summed up with one word--red."

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Back to the Future attraction when it first opened and rode it for many years. The last several years I almost never ride it anymore. I live very close to Universal Studios in Hollywood. On most visits, that is the one ride I skip. I will not miss it at all. It had a good run, but it is time for something else. I also agree that Back to the Future is not nearly as good of an attraction as Spiderman.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to hear this. That ride is a waste of space now. Back in the day it was good. I wonder what will go there next?
    Another ride I think could be done away with is E.T. My kids like it but again- time for a change. Conversely, I was sad to see King Kong go. DH said it was so hokey but I loved it!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to US 7 times now dating back to the early 90's. When the park was young, this ride blew me away. I had never seen anything like it. I loved the movies, loved the theme of this ride, and loved the experience. Over the years, the theme has kept it's freshness but the experience has not. The ride now seems clunky and the film does not flow like it once did. Part of me hates to see this go but this is the one thing I love about US......they update and add new rides. Much like Kong was good........The Mummy is great! If they make that big of step with BTTF then I'm all for the change.

Pour a little out for Marty McFly.
    Parks visited:-Magic Kingdom-Epcot-MGM-Disneyland-California Adventures-Universal Studios-Islands of Adventure-Sea World-Busch Gardens Tampa & Williamsburg-Six Flags over GA & Great Adventure NJ-Dollywood-Paramount's Kings Dominion

Post Thanks / Like

i might have to keep this to myself, i don't know if my dad will go to universal now!

1974 & '75 - offsite
    every other year as a child all at contemporary
    1995 - wilderness lodge
    1999 - yacht club
    2005 - beach club
    2007 - beach club villas

2012 - beach club villas!
    2013- Beach club - marathon weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I never liked that ride to much anyway. So it's fine with me that's it's closing.

What other Universal movie or movies should they make into a ride?

Maybe a "The Fast and the Furious" ride or how about the corny movie "Tremors" ride.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

thebiggoof Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004
    I'm happy to hear this. That ride is a waste of space now. Back in the day it was good. I wonder what will go there next?
    Another ride I think could be done away with is E.T. My kids like it but again- time for a change. Conversely, I was sad to see King Kong go. DH said it was so hokey but I loved it!
    yea it was a waste of space bc i on 2005 we went and we walked right on compared to last time i rode it in 199 when there was a line. then when twe get done with the breifing and go to the car the first car breaks down and the second car breaks down and then the film i had noticed was worse than in '99 and the car shook more. i thought the ride had alot of potential bc of all the movies like they could have done for a few years one movie then replace the old movie with a new movie about the next movie and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

The (Back To The Future) ride definitely needed updating at the least. The last few times I was on it the film quality was poor & the ride was WAY too rough. I like Universal for the Mummy & Shrek 4-D now. I also like Men in Black.
    April

Remy: You gotta taste this! This is... oh, it's got this kind of... mmm, it's burny, it's melty... it's not really a smoky taste. It's kind of like a certain... Pshah! It's got like this " Ba-boom! Zap!" kind of taste. Dont you think? What would you call that flavor?
    Emile: Lightningy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: