Quantcast Letter to School - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First, have a great time on your family vacation

Second, be courteous and give the teacher the option of providing work ahead of time OR collecting it for your child while you are gone (to be completed upon return). It is a lot less work for the teacher, who may already be putting in long days, to collect work as the class does it than to try and do it all ahead of time.

Just a thought from a person who knows many teachers who put in long, long days and then have to vacation themselves during those busy holiday periods
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you get an understanding teacher. Like you said you don't need to ask permission but perhaps if you give enough notice the teacher will provide make up work.

My parents always took us out of school and it was hit or miss with the teacher's cooperation. Some teacher's were really nice and gave us the work ahead of time and would even tell us which topics in books would be covered.

My parents were really dilligent about us getting the work done before we even left on our trip.

Sometimes a teacher will not be willing to go the extra mile for you or will just be plain rude about it.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! A timely question for us, too. Our DS and DD are going to miss the first few days of school this year. They don't seem to do very much anyway, so I think it's o.k. I'm going to save some of these letters / suggestions for next time, though!

2 more days!!!!!
    Keven

06/76 Disneyland
    06/05 PoP Century - First time for the kids
    08/06 PoP Century - Celebrating DD's B-Day
    07/07 Pop Century - Celebrating DW's B-Day
    06/11 Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Default Letter to School

I am sure I will be repeating some of the other responses, but wanted to give my 2 cents too. We have taken DD's out of school for the last 5 years to go to WDW and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. WE choose our own vacation time and I do not base it on a principal's opinion. We have ALWAYS notified the teachers in advance as well as office personnal and it has never been an issue. I have written in the letter that this is a PLANNED family vacation and that is about it. Both DD's are good students and I did not have second thoughts about going during school. So, that is that. We are leaving in 11 days and we cannot wait !!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I Am Taking My Son Out Of School For Three Days In Nov And I Tell Them How I Also Will Make This An Education Trip Also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl
    Here's the one we used last year....
    Dear Mrs. x,

Back in June, I briefly mentioned that our family would be taking a trip to Walt Disney World in Florida at the beginning of December. Restrictions at my work this year prevented us from taking our holiday during regular school vacation time.

Family holidays are very important to all of us, and we feel that the rewards reaped are felt for years afterward. With this said, we want to make it abundantly clear that we do not take Harry’s education, nor his placement in your class for granted.
    As always, we appreciate the opportunity to work with you for our son. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Proposal for
    As a teacher, I like this letter. It shows that you place a high importance on family time, but that you respect the value of education. However, I would not go into the detailed plan, and I would not make the entire vacation a classroom experience. Do ask if there are any assignments to complete before your child returns, and do make sure he/she gets caught up quickly. In the meantime, hug 'em, laugh with them, and enjoy the Magic together!!
    (I'll see you there three weeks from today, myself!)
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jumping through hoops?

Quote Originally Posted by r4kids
    I find it annoying I have to justify a family vacation every year. We go to Disney every year and always for a week. I have to send in note after note and then fill out paper work. I should not have to go through the hoops they put forth for my own child. We are doing a family activity, this alone should be seen as an "excused absence", with the way things are today we should be happy to spend time together. Our kids are honor roll students and miss very little school. I think they should focus on safety and bullying since that seems to be a bigger problem.
    [Bold font added by me]

As a teacher, let me flip that on it's head...why should a teacher, who cannot even think about taking a vacation during a non-vacation week, "jump through hoops" for you? I put together a package of work for a student once so he could go to the Daytona 500 and WDW. Admittedly, I was jealous, and this was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, so I was all for it. He completely blew it off, then I got blamed for his failing the quarter. If I take a single day before a vacation week, I lose a day's pay.

That being said, I understand taking kids from elementary school. It's pretty easy for them to make up the work. But no more than a week, IMHO. High school kids who miss more than a couple of days in a row usually have a heck of a time getting caught up, particularly if they're not superior students.

A couple of things I think the parents need to do: 1. Notify school and the teacher(s) at least three weeks ahead, and give the teacher(s) the option of giving you the work before or after. Many teachers simply aren't organized enough (particularly the new ones) to know what they'll be doing in class 2-3 weeks ahead.

2. Make sure your kids do the work. 'nuf said.

3. How about a small gift for the teacher? Nothing extravagent, just a t-shirt, or a snow globe, something like that.

Note also that in some states, actually failing a kid for attendance is technically illegal. If the school pushes back too much, you might want to ask the principal if their policy is actually legal. Most won't want to fight the battle, and will cave.
    Last edited by Space Mountain Man; 08-12-2006 at 10:15 PM. Reason: grammar (of all things)
    "It's a girl! A girl? In the castle? She's the one...the one we have been waiting for!"

'74 Int'l Drive
    '83 FW
    '86 LBV
    '92 Offsite @ Christmas (never again!)
    '01 One day! :(
    '03 POFQ with my 2 DDs
    '08 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I buy a xmas present and end of school year present for the teacher. But I dont understand why i should consider buying a teacher a gift when we are on vacation. I spent almost 4000 on the trip and we havent even left yet. I have to buy some gifts for a few of my daughters close friends as well as family so I dont feel the need to buy a gift for the teacher.
    will be at pop century oct 1-oct 15 2006 for my daughters 7th birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by togirl
    I buy a xmas present and end of school year present for the teacher. But I dont understand why i should consider buying a teacher a gift when we are on vacation. I spent almost 4000 on the trip and we havent even left yet. I have to buy some gifts for a few of my daughters close friends as well as family so I dont feel the need to buy a gift for the teacher.
    For me it really depends on the teacher and where we're going, and for how long. I'm missing 2 or 3 days of school, and in order to pass the quarter, I will need the teachers to allow me to turn work in either early, which can be a hassle for them, or late, which may get them in a corner because other students see this as unfair. I wouldn't get them a gift if I was gone for a day, when I didn't have alot of projects due or tests to take (at the end of a quarter, we have all long term projects due and generally a small exam). But since we are going at such an inconvenient time for the teachers, I want to show my appreciation. I attend a small private school and I'm very close to my teachers, perhaps that's why. But I know they will be understanding and compliant working with me to help me get my work turned in. I feel that deserves at least a small $5 gift. After all, they don't work with me to help make sure my work can be turned in. And without that work I would probably fail for the quarter.
    1994- Offsite
    1995- ASMusic
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- ASMovies
    2005- Pop Century
    2006- POR & AKL
    2010- Pop Century
    Dec 2011- Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homeschooling ALL THE WAY - LOL!

Well, the title says it all! We homeschool, so i do not have to answer to anyone but my God And for those who think that WDW is not an educational trip, let's think about a few things, since we as a homeschooling family believe that life in general is a learning experience...
    The trip down - we have to calculate how much gas it is going to take, we read billboards and street signs, we play the license plate game, etc.. just those three things before we've ever gotten to WDW are math, reading, and geography!
    At the park - sure, Epcot is very educational but have we thought about the other parks? Animal Kingdom is a wealth of knowledge and we consider it biology and zoology - MGM we find out about the imagineers and what they do, experience 3D effects and talk about how they are made and see plays (think Ariels' show) - WDW we have the Hall of Presidents and tons of things you can read about Disney himself, again more rides that bring into play questions about how certain things are created (mechanical aspect as well as imagination) -
    but in a normal day we budget our money, pick the best place to eat based on our budget, pick or don't pick a souvenir that day based on our budget, plan out the schedule/time for the day and what we want to accomplish, etc...
    So, i guess what i'm saying is that even if parent's don't do excess to try to make it educational, it is! What if reading about Cinderella gets your 7 yr old more interested in reading? What if doing the Pirates of the Carribean ride makes your 9 year old want to learn more about real pirates? Are these not springboards for more learning upon returning home? Also, and i think many people overlook this, imagination needs to be fed and nurtured, we should never lose that magic of imagination. Now will a teacher balk at you taking the child out - maybe - but reality is that it is your child and your decision. What i find interesting is teachers' saying that the child will be behind when they return - well, i guess i can see that they might be behind in the book work or even in some experiment, but they are not behind mentally and should not be penalized if they are willing to either make the work up or do it before they leave or while they are on their trip. And just because Joey doesn't do 10 pages of fractions, doesn't mean that Joey doesn't know how to do fractions, kwim?
    We school year round with our daughters and i love the freedom we as a family has and i love the knowledge my girls are receiving, yes even from our Disney trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom
    As a teacher, I like this letter. It shows that you place a high importance on family time, but that you respect the value of education. However, I would not go into the detailed plan, and I would not make the entire vacation a classroom experience. Do ask if there are any assignments to complete before your child returns, and do make sure he/she gets caught up quickly. In the meantime, hug 'em, laugh with them, and enjoy the Magic together!!
    (I'll see you there three weeks from today, myself!)

Hopefully my son's 2nd grade teacher will agree with you! I think this is a great letter (and I just copied it to use myself for our trip the first week in Oct.) We have taken our son out of school for a week the last 2 years and have never had a problem. I have worked with both his teacher's before we left and he has made up all his work. I too think that elementary school is not really a big deal but I also think you need to show a certain level of respect for the school and the fact that you are creating more work for your child's teacher. At the end of the day I am the parent but working together with your child's teacher is the only way to ensure the success of your child. Just my

March '99 - POFQ
    February '04 - WL
    February '05 - POLY
    November '05 - CB
    October '06 - POLY
    November '07 - POLY / BC
    November ' 08 - BC
    March '10 - WL
    November '10 - POR-Riverside
    November '11 - CSR

Dear departed brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by togirl
    I buy a xmas present and end of school year present for the teacher. But I dont understand why i should consider buying a teacher a gift when we are on vacation.
    Being in education myself, I think the statement about the gift was meant as a "thank you" if you have a teacher that goes above and beyond. Many, many teachers that I've dealt with, will absolutely not make up a packet of work ahead of time. On more than one occassion, we've come back from vacation, only to spend hours and hours trying to get caught up on missed homework assignments. If you have someone who will take that extra step, supply the packet to take on your trip, that to me is worth a token of appreciation.

I think that was all that was trying to be said.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt mean it as they said I had to. But it is something I would not consider. I have volunteered at the school for the past 3 years. First year I was not working so I was there 2-3 times a week doing the schools attendance the last year before i opened my daycare full time i was assisting the teacher in a grade one class once a week. It is nice to give them a gift but that is the job to send homework whether its early or not. If i would buy a gift for her one teacher I would have to buy a gift for all the teachers which is something I cannot afford as a single parent. I was the one who put together the homework for the grade ones classes 2 years ago i didnt get any gift lol
    will be at pop century oct 1-oct 15 2006 for my daughters 7th birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I have to say that I was impressed with the letters that some of you have written. I have three daughters and we have taken them out of school several times for a family trip to Disney World. In the past I just wrote a letter stating that we would be away on a family trip and if possible could we please have assignments that will be missed. I always stated that learning takes place everywhere including a family vacation. We never had any problems with teachers, most teachers were willing to give homework a head of time but a few said wait till you get back for assingments (which was always nice). We found being honest always worked!

Dec. 97-Contemporary
    Dec. 99-Poly
    2000-Disneyland
    Dec. 2001-Poly
    Dec. 2003-Poly
    Dec. 2005-Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I am another one who has taken dd out twice now to go down to Disney. We see family and friends as I am from there. Guess where we used to take field trips to in school on school days-Disney, Cape Kennedy, Sea World. I figured it must be educational and I want my kids to see it as I did. Usually we go for the three days off in January and then they have two days after that they are back in school and that's when we go. If dd has not missed hardly any school, I don't have a problem with taking her out for a couple days. Bottom line though is if you tell the teacher, I'm certain they will mark unexcused.

Shari

Post Thanks / Like

I just have to say in our district, the principal must approve extended unexcused absences. The parent must fill out a form and it has to be signed and approved by the principal prior to the absence. Our district's policy is that the teacher MUST provide make-up work, but doesn't clarify as to whether the homework should be provided before or after the absence.

In my teaching experience, the principal has never "not approved" a vacation. It is used to formally notify the parents about the attendance policy, and the expectations while the child is out. Even with the principal's approval, the absence is still counted as unexcused and nothing can change that.

Attendance is required at school--I can't remember what the percentage of attendance is, but it does allow for quite a few absences. Our assistant principal is well known for taking parents to court for their chidren's poor attendance--granted these are not the type of parents that inform the teachers and the school about their impending WDW vacation, but it does happen.

I say the simple letter is best, and be sure to give the teacher plenty of notice to get work together and make sure any paperwork for the district/school is completed correctly.

HAVE FUN!

25 magical trips and counting...
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    1986 Tampa
    Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    December 2013 Contemporary
    Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Dec 2013 Boardwalk
    PROUD member of the Disney ParksMoms Panel!

*these postings are my own and do not reflect Disney's postions/opinions*

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Space Mountain Man][Bold font added by me]

"As a teacher, let me flip that on it's head...why should a teacher, who cannot even think about taking a vacation during a non-vacation week, "jump through hoops" for you? I put together a package of work for a student once so he could go to the Daytona 500 and WDW. Admittedly, I was jealous, and this was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, so I was all for it. He completely blew it off, then I got blamed for his failing the quarter. If I take a single day before a vacation week, I lose a day's pay."

Ok, let me clarify since you didn't understand the statement as I said it. I was referring to the ENTIRE admin. You have to fill out paperwork afer paperwork. Like I said our kids are honor roll students we ALWAYS do work on vacation or make up the work upon our return. I don't expect any teacher to jump through any hoops for me.You seem a little bitter about not being able to take vacations also. Relax, and I am also not going to bring back a gift unless it a holiday, it really gets too expensive with all the teachers. DD 11-6th grade, DS 8-3rd grade, DD 5-Kindergarten, DD 3- pre-school. WE know our time is limited on family vacations through out the school year so I am going to go and have a great time while the kids are still little enough to enjoy it.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

My DDs' school has a form letter that needs filled out and they ask who the child will be with and what educational purpose there is to the trip. I used thing similar to those letters that were posted previously. Our school did count it as an excused absence since I turned in the paper in advance. They would only give us some of their work to complete on the trip so they had another stack of it when they came home. Neither of them suffered because of it and I am pulling them out for a week this December for another trip. warning!: My biggest problem was the judgemental nature of the teachers when they found out we were taking a trip during the school year - you would think we were tortuing someone's sweet little grandmother or something! I know how important school is and they don't miss for any other reason except than when they are really sick (this might be 1-3 days in the entire year), but I feel that this family time is important as well. It angers me to be judged as a bad parent for taking my kids on vacation during the school year by the teachers who don't understand that I cannot just take off work anytime I want even though I have been at my job 15 years. Just like the teachers who go when they have their time off, we go when I can get time off. Sorry, just my
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this seems to be quite the hot topic. My oldest daughter just started kindergarten, so I haven't yet had to consider whether I'd take her out or not. However, we live in a year round school district with a schedule that goes 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off with 6 weeks off in the summer. I really like the schedule in that we have several off season opportunities to hit WDW. But I have a feeling the teachers and administration would be less appreciative of us taking them out of school when we could just wait for cycle break. As long as late September/ early October remains a good time to go, I won't have to worry about it!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We've taken the kid out at various grade levels and it depends on where they are in school as to whether we are up front about why they are out. Frankly..son is now in high school. They don't care if you are meeting the Pope or the President...you cannot be out from class for more than 4 days in a row without a note from your doctor when you return. That is why we have scheduled our trip for when the kids have a Monday holiday off. He will likely tell his teachers ahead of time so he can get some of the work he might miss. I also think it depends on the kind of student, and how they are doing during the school year. I wouldn't take the vacation if they were struggling...wouldn't want to put them at a further disadvantage. It is nice if the teacher is supportive, and doesn't mind getting you the work(when they are in younger grades..this is a bit easier)..but it's also not in their hands..it is an administrative decision...so sometimes...you just have to fib and say they were sick on the note....all the while the teacher knows that you are away, because she gave you the work. We had this happen years ago. Public schools loose state aid for the days that are missed..so many are very strict with their attendance policies.
    Phyllis

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: