Quantcast Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by JohnY:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheRustyScupper:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JohnY:
    ... don't they normally take down the castle in situations like this -- or is that an urban legend ...
    1) Yes.
    2) No.
    3) Depends on your point of view & definition
    4) Actually ...
    ... the 18 towers can be removed
    ... it requires a crane to pull the towers
    ... time required is approx 6-8 hours
    ... there are plans for bad weather removal
    ... they have yet to be pulled for weather
    ... most believe they will NEVER be pulled
    </font>[/QUOTE]From the unofficial guide to wdw...

"Contrary to myth, the castle cannot be, nor has it ever been, dismantled in the event of a hurricane."
    </font>[/QUOTE]The WDW Trivia Book also refutes this. I believe it was also on one of the Travel Channel shows. The castle was designed and built to withstand hurricane force winds, so I don't think it would be necessary to remove the spires.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Pixie Power:
    Stay safe Jim, Lisa, Jeremy, Ron, Jeanne, Clamity Jane and all the other WDW CM's on I-Cot. You truly are what makes Disney so Magical! And steppin' up to the plate to help out at a time like this, makes you even more special to all of us here at I-Cot. I hope WDW doesn't get hit too hard, as living in the Houston area, I know all too well what a Cat. 4 Hurricane can do!:eekeek:
    Angela (Calamity Jane) is doing fine....

.... in Texas.

You picked a good week to go.

I just got back from preparing the ride for the storm - and I'm going back at 4:30 tomorrow morning to clean up. [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img]

Goodnight all (It's 3:45 in the afternoon, isn't that sad?)

Jeremy
    Proud Movie Rider since 6/03
    "Everybody just sit tight.... Running a red light's against the law! And I'd NEVER break the law... hey kid - watch this! (Shoots out light) No more red light!
    Look out, the bank's gonna blow! YEEEEEEHAW!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Now for an odd question, do they cover the openings on the Contemporary during storms like this? I was imagining 50 MPH winds whipping through the monorail openings. Never thought about it before.
    Actually, a monorail driver who posts on Usenet has previously reported that they "plug" the holes in the Contemporary with multi-million dollar corks, that also double as passenger transport trains during better weather.

That's right, they pull four monorails half into the Contemporary and park them about 18" apart. It must be quite a feat, and I'm guessing they only let the best drivers do the parking at that distance, and with all the collision-avoidance systems disabled.

Sadly, I was there last January when temps were below freezin, and I apparently missed the opportunity to see this peformed.

-Eric

[ August 13, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: ROEJunkie ]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaving tomorrow morning! What a shame! We'll be delayed in chicago for hours! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
    "If we can dream it, we really can do it. And that's the most exciting part." - Horizons<br />"OH! The pants are full now!" - The Timekeeper<br />"We wants the red head!" - Pirates<br />"Hey who ordered the butterflies!?" - Cranium Command

Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaving tomorrow morning! What a shame! We'll be delayed in chicago for hours!
    You hope it will be measured in hours!

Post Thanks / Like

As of right now, it's not too bad in this area. All the parks have closed. Ft. Wilderness guests have been evacuated to resort rooms.

Flights into and out of MCO have virtually stopped. Most airlines shut down operations around 2 pm, in some cases flying empty planes out to safer areas.

Worst is expected to hit around 7:30 pm.
    ________
    vaporizer reviews
    Last edited by Ed; 01-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I read somewhere that the castle is actually constructed to be able to handle winds in excess of 150 MPH. It's constructed partially of fiberglass and not stone as it appears and the towers have some 'wobble' built into them so they flex a bit in high winds.

With a storm of this magnitude though, things could still get a bit messy. I think a bigger concern would be water damage and to some extent flying debris or falling trees. I'm certain the CM's and staff have tied down or taken in what they can by now.

My hopes and prayers go out to everyone in the path of the storm... Good luck, stay safe, be well.
    "What became of the Flying Donkey, you ask? Neither him nor me were ever seen again as long as we lived... Adios"

Former Space Mountain Rocket Scientist

Barnstomer Ground Crew: We keep that Goofy Octoplane flyin' Gawrsh! Ah-hyuck!
    WDW CM since Sept 2005

Post Thanks / Like

What a great question [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] , I have never thought of those tunnels through the contemporary hotel. Now I wonder how the wind will whip through the hotel, or what the imagineers have come up with to stop that from happening.

There is got to be more things we can wonder about with these high winds hitting the park, I think we have the answer on the Castle, I wonder about Spaceship earth or other high up objects at the world.
    "May Walt Disney World Bring Joy and Inspiration. A magical place were people of all ages can laugh, and play, and learn together."
    6/95, 6/99 Poly, 6/01 YC/Poly
    10/02 Poly/YC, 6/03 YC/GF, 4/04 YC
    9/04 YC, 4/05 Poly/YC, 4/06 YC
    4/07 BC, 8/07 Poly, 10/07 YC
    4/08 YC, 8/08 P/YC
    Next 10/09/Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by TheRedHead:
    I'm leaving tomorrow morning! What a shame! We'll be delayed in chicago for hours! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
    I would advise anyone traveling to/from MCO tomorrow to arrive early for your flights. I work for an airline and was just looking at our loads tomorrow and the flights INTO MCO are going as planned (as of now - that will probably change overnight) but are extremely overbooked with people who were originally scheduled to go today. We have canceled the first flew flights OUT of MCO tomorrow as we had to move some aircraft out of harms way today and tomorrow morning we'll need to reposition them.

Bottom line is the gate area for every flight to Florida tomorrow will probably be nuts tomorrow so just keep those happy thoughts of being in The World flowing!

Regardless - at least you are off to WDW - have a great trip!!

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

[ August 13, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: FROG0823 ]
    Susan

First visit - January 1972 Polynesian "Village" Resort (I was 5)
    Visits (1972 - 2007) - 18 all to Poly/WL/BCV/POR

Next Up: Nov 09 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by ROEJunkie:
    Actually, a monorail driver who posts on Usenet has previously reported that they "plug" the holes in the Contemporary with multi-million dollar corks, that also double as passenger transport trains during better weather.

That's right, they pull four monorails half into the Contemporary and park them about 18" apart. It must be quite a feat, and I'm guessing they only let the best drivers do the parking at that distance, and with all the collision-avoidance systems disabled.

-Eric
    That sounds like an expensive and risky move to me. What if the track collapsed or the building collapsed partially, couldn't it cause even more damage? I would think some heavy gauge steel doors might do the trick better. But then what do I know, I'm not exactly an imagineer.

Lots of prayers going out to those who are there, both cast and guests. For those guests who are there, this will surely be a memorable vacation, and hopefully not terribly unpleasant. Be safe and make the best of the situation.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I would advise anyone traveling to/from MCO tomorrow to arrive early for your flights. I work for an airline
    Any thoughts on Monday?
    1974-off site w/mom, dad and family
    1999-All Star Movies
    2001-All Star Movies
    2002-Port Orlean Riverside
    2003-Contemporary
    2004-Wilderness Lodge
    Coming soon-Feb 2007 FW Cabins!

Post Thanks / Like

Sending good vibes to all of you in the storms path. I've been glued to the news and have all my fingers and toes crossed.

On the castle topic:
    During a backstage tour we were informed that the Castle was built to withstand 90 Mph winds and that removing the spires was never in a hurricane plan. It could never even happen quick enough. Once when the spires were taken down for repairs it took cranes hours to remove them. Not to mention the time it would take to get the crane in there. When you think about it, there really is no safty reason to take them out of an already empty park, which would always be the case with an impending hurricane having winds exceeding 90 MPH.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by CarolS:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I would advise anyone traveling to/from MCO tomorrow to arrive early for your flights. I work for an airline
    Any thoughts on Monday? </font>[/QUOTE]Monday should be just fine. In fact I would think we should be back to normal sometime on Sunday. I work for American so we have a lot of planes to jostle around. I would bet some of the smaller airlines would be back on track even sooner.

Monday...no worries!

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Susan

First visit - January 1972 Polynesian "Village" Resort (I was 5)
    Visits (1972 - 2007) - 18 all to Poly/WL/BCV/POR

Next Up: Nov 09 Wilderness Lodge

Growing on the shores of Bay Lake in Ft. Wilderness
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

On a lighter note...

Maybe this time they shouldn't "Cork" the monorail openings in the Contemporary..Leave them open and use the winds to dry up all the water from the Hot Water pipe that burst the other night...

Just trying to lighten the mood.. Hope everyone is safe and sound and that no one gets seriously hurt (including my namesake)
    Too long did Billy Bowlegs<br />Park his real slow mower<br />Alas, one warm and sunny day<br />Aside a real fast grower<br /><br /><br />Annual Trips from 1972 to 1989<br /><br />1991<br />1993<br />1996<br />2002<br />June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you all stay safe if you are in its path. Our flight out of chicago leaves EARLY tomorrow...6:00 AM. Probably major delays, but if all goes as planned, the storm will hit tonight, have some servere weather tomorrow and then it should go back to semi-normal...right? Or was that just wishful thinking?? [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    "If we can dream it, we really can do it. And that's the most exciting part." - Horizons<br />"OH! The pants are full now!" - The Timekeeper<br />"We wants the red head!" - Pirates<br />"Hey who ordered the butterflies!?" - Cranium Command

Post Thanks / Like

We are scheduled to drive from PA to FL a week from today. If the storm significantly damages the Orlando area and Disney, we will probably reschedule our trip. I'm hoping for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Charley has come ashore and is now headed this way. Orlando is directly in the center of the forecasted track. They expect 100+ mph winds here.

Oddly, it is very calm outside right now. No wind and no rain.

Thank you, everyone, for your concerns and wishes. It is a rather creepy feeling to be sitting here waiting.

[ August 13, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: WDWdriver ]
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I know that the powers at be might erase this ... but it's worth a shot. If anyone wants a 10 minute delay snapshot of EPCOT/BEACH CLUB area then go here:

http://www.aws.com/wxcomm/commercial...id=LKBNV&siz=l

This is the link to Swan & Dolphins Webcam atop their roof. Watching it all day ... it's pretty scary. Best wishes and hopes for everyone down in Orlando and surrounding areas right now.

[ August 13, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Honey-4-Pooh ]

Post Thanks / Like

I have relatives in the St. Pete area, so my thoughts are with them during this scary time. Pixie dust prayers to all of you in Florida and in the World right now.

Mar 2017 ASMU
    2016 OKW
    2014 BCV
    2013 WLV
    2012 POFQ/ DCL!!
    2009 POFQ; Sept. DL
    2007 POFQ; Dec. DL
    2004-3X CSR, Pop Century, POFQ/Poly
    2002 YC
    1999 BW Villa
    1996 Dixie Landings
    1994 GF
    1992 & 93 CBR
    1989 GF
    1985-89 Lived in CA; many DL trips
    1971-1984 CR, Poly, & FW several times

Post Thanks / Like

Just recieved some news from my mother in law who lives about 15 miles south of Disney. My Sister-in-law, Brother-in-law and two young children were headed to Disney this afternoon for a weekend stay that had been planned for some time. About 1:00 pm they got in a wreck on highway 4 and totaled their vehical. Just a few bumps and scratches nothing serious. My mother-in-Law offered to go pick them up but Highway patrol wanted no more cars on the highway and said he would be taking them to the nearest hotel till the storm passes.

Its good to know they are ok, but to have had a serous accedent and then not able to be with family, will be hard. I'm sure this ruined their trip, but we need to be thankful they are O.K.
    "May Walt Disney World Bring Joy and Inspiration. A magical place were people of all ages can laugh, and play, and learn together."
    6/95, 6/99 Poly, 6/01 YC/Poly
    10/02 Poly/YC, 6/03 YC/GF, 4/04 YC
    9/04 YC, 4/05 Poly/YC, 4/06 YC
    4/07 BC, 8/07 Poly, 10/07 YC
    4/08 YC, 8/08 P/YC
    Next 10/09/Poly

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: