Quantcast So, you think you're ready to be an Imagineer for real? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I was never in the WDW college program but I have met with some of the folks involved in running the college program along with meeting several of the participants and talking about what I do at WDI. I've also participated in a few talks and recruiting visits by WDI at a number of engineering schools along with doing some high school outreach programs. I definitely enjoy the mentorship aspect (although i'm not too much removed from my undergrad days- I know I look a lot younger than I am).

I enjoy meeting and talking with all CMs that work in the park no matter what position they hold- not just the attractions CMs. (It's usually the Team Disney suits that I tend to stay away from).

There are plenty of WDW college program alumni that I'm sure can answer any questions for you. I don't personally know any Imagineers that moved up from the WDW college program specifically- there have been a number of Imagineers with previous experience in the theme parks while they were in college (everyone from Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter to former Imagineers like Eddie Sotto had all worked in the parks at one point in all sorts of positions- mainly food service actually and not attractions hosts or maintenance).

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got another question, Mufasa. Sorry about constantly doing this.

I'm currently studying for a major in Computer Science with a minor in Computer Information Systems (Bachelor of Science). I'll be training in Visual Programming like C++, Basic, Java, etc.

My question is, does the company use visual programming for the attractions? In other words, are the programming codes typed? If so, do they use C++, Basic, or something similar, or does WDI make their own computer programs to write the code (Like their Animatronic DAC system)?

This is a strong question so if you don't feel comfortable answering it because it might br giving too much info on how WDI operates, I'll understand.
    -James (AKA "Brad")

Animal Technology Intern (June 06 - January 07)
    Soarin' Flight Attendant (June 07 - July 07)
    Animal Technology Assistant (Beginning July 15)

Post Thanks / Like

The information on the Imagi-Nations programs intrigues me. This is my question, though: are there more programs of this nature through WDI? I am not a member of any of the above-mentioned organizations but have available access to VICA and possibly another engineering organization on campus.

Great info, Mufasa. This has been one of the most informative threads I have read lately.

Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by MrIMAX:
    I've got another question, Mufasa. Sorry about constantly doing this.

I'm currently studying for a major in Computer Science with a minor in Computer Information Systems (Bachelor of Science). I'll be training in Visual Programming like C++, Basic, Java, etc.

My question is, does the company use visual programming for the attractions? In other words, are the programming codes typed? If so, do they use C++, Basic, or something similar, or does WDI make their own computer programs to write the code (Like their Animatronic DAC system)?

This is a strong question so if you don't feel comfortable answering it because it might br giving too much info on how WDI operates, I'll understand.
    Don't worry about asking questions- I'm happy to try and answer them.

I'd say that similar to how I answered the question about what software packages one should study if they're interested in a career in computer animation- I think it is more important that you have a solid foundation in programming fundamentals (really understanding what your code is doing and how it interacts with the hardware) than learning a particular language.

In other words, focus on areas like understanding good object oriented programming concepts which aren't language specific. Learning how to write effective algorithms and probably knowing a thing or two about scripting languages also (there will be times when you might have to code something in C or some obscure low-level programming assembly code). But sometimes you can knock out something easily if you're proficient in Python or another scripting language- it's knowing when to use the right tool to get the job done.

As far as ride/show controls a lot of our technology is basically adapted from industrial applications. A good example is the technology behind AGV (autonomous guided vehicles) that are in use in attractions like Tower of Terror. (understanding PLCs and any experience with them whether it's Allen Bradley or Mitsubishi PLCs and packages like ControlLogix or RS 500 in the case of AB SLC 500s for example is a great skill-set). I wouldn't necessarily focus or direct your studies in that direction though- just get the solid foundation because you'll be able to learn these things from hands-on experience.

We take a lot of the industrial tools and then adapt them for our needs, which is how we come up with things like a Show Supervisor Unit (SSU) and the show interface units (SIUs). Then the real programming "magic" takes place in trying to integrate all these systems together and coordinate all the timing and effects. On top of that add any necessary safety controls (sometimes monitoring several thousand input/output channels at once) and you can see how complicated it can get.

Animatronic programming can sometimes involve writing code but there are also various software tools which are more like some of the computer graphics/animation toolkits on the market (same goes for some attraction/motion base programming).

If you have the programming skills there will be a use for your talent (some guys do nothing more than focus on DSPs or maybe they have a background in writing various psycho-acoustic software tools).

I have a friend that worked on the Spiderman attraction (for that other park) where he helped to write a computer algorithm to distort the 3D projected computer generated images to properly sync them based on the position of the rider as they moved through the attraction against a curved screen. It's easy to project 3D if you're stationary but add in a motion base and you can see how difficult it can be to get good, clear 3D effects so he came up with the software and algorithms and largely coded it directly in C which was then used during the rendering stage to pre-distort the images just right so they'd look "correct" as you rode past them.

Just learn the basic skills and someday you'll be amazed to think that working on coding assignments like the "tower of hanoi" will someday lead you to programming attractions like tower of terror

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Duane:
    The information on the Imagi-Nations programs intrigues me. This is my question, though: are there more programs of this nature through WDI? I am not a member of any of the above-mentioned organizations but have available access to VICA and possibly another engineering organization on campus.

Duane
    Hi Duane,

Imagi-Nations is the primary design program that Imagineering sponsors. There may be smaller, specific programs that take place at a few schools (that may be sponsored by former alumni- turned Imagineers) but the only program that I know of that is sponsored and run by WDI with the opportunity to land an internship (as well as get a cool tour of our facilities) is Imagi-Nations.

You might want to try contacting WDI college relations and ask them directly about other program offerings. You can e-mail them at: [email protected] or call (818) 544-6537 for more information on the Imagi-Nations competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Mufasa,
    Thanks for the info. I have a debate with someone over a name pronunciation and you would be a great help to me for answering this. After reading the original post in the Rumors and Imagineering section, I checked and you said that you know Joe Rohde, who is one of my favorite Imagineers. Please do me a great favor and pronounce his last name. Is it pronounced "road" (long O), "rod" (short O), or some other variation. I don't believe that I have an actual bet riding on the right answer, but it would be nice to have simple bragging rights.

Thanks in advance and I am sure that there are more questions to come...

Duane

Post Thanks / Like

hmm... interesting question (I suppose it is Imagineering related)... hmm... so what is the pronunciation of Rohde?

Why, wouldn't you just be tempted to just call him the Dreamfinder? For those of you who don't know Imagineer Joe Rohde, he was basically the stand-in model for the Dreamfinder character for the original Imagination pavillion and served as the character in Dreamfinder's School of Drama- the chroma-key (think weather reporting) attraction where you stood in front of a screen and followed cues as others could watch the result. He started off as a model designer/scenic painter back around 1980 and was the lead executive designer on Animal Kingdom. He's known for his distinctive handle-bar style moustache (and furthering that example that the only people who could be spotted with facial hair at the parks were the creative types over at WED).

Well, the name usually is Germanic in origin, and typically I've heard it pronounced "Roh-dee", although I suppose in Germany it would be a more rounded 'R' and probably sound more like "Roh-duh" although I've also heard people just cut off the end and usually sounds more like "Road" than anything else. I usually just say "Hi Joe" and ask how Figment is doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your information, Mufasa!

One more question.

This is similar to the Computer question. What role does WDI have with the "motion picture" areas of the attractions in terms of production. Do you have a film/video production team part of WDI (i.e. Filming, Post Production)? I've worked with both linear (film) and non-linear (computer) editing. Does WDI use editing systems like Mac's "Final Cut Pro", or Adobe's "After Effects" or "Photoshop", or do you use outside production companies to do all film/video productions?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    -James (AKA "Brad")

Animal Technology Intern (June 06 - January 07)
    Soarin' Flight Attendant (June 07 - July 07)
    Animal Technology Assistant (Beginning July 15)

Post Thanks / Like

All film/video work from planning and production (everything from pre-show to 3D films) are handled by a division within WDI called Theme Park Productions. Some portions may be contracted or produced by outside 3rd parties- take It's Tough to be a Bug for example with Pixar and Rhythm & Hues collaborating on the film, but the script and a lot of post production was done in-house.

When it comes to the tools that are used- expect that it's just like any other major Hollywood production facility, down to the specialty/niche groups like visual effects, etc. All the standard tools (Avid, Softimage/Maya, Pro Tools) are all standard fare within Imagineering, and not just limited to the folks in Theme Park Productions. Imagineers love to play with toys

And there's an active Mac user group within WDI (personally I've only just started to play with Final Cut Pro myself, but I'm usually spending more time messing around with Maya to sometimes put together an animatic to block out a show scene or convey a concept beyond a storyboard if it gets closer to pitching the idea to a larger audience).

Again, regardless of where you fit within WDI chances are you'll find yourself going back to some obscure skill or information that you picked up along the way

Post Thanks / Like

Final Cut is a program I am coming around on...I used to be a Permiere junky, but have had to expand my horizons...I will say that I hate AVID though. That program is horrible IMHO...but to each their own. I've been sticking with Final Cut these past two years, and am definately enjoying it now. Never thought that I would say that about a mac program...

And I am also very fond of Pro Tools...good stuff...what's happening to me!

Jordan
    '02 F!, Voyage, FOLK, CSC, Cin-Bra, DAwM, DDCT, MJJP, BpB, Accent/Face Trainer
    '05 Tokyo Disney performer
    '07 Equity, Pirate Tutorial, Green Army Man, Pirates Dinner Adventure, P&P Swordfighter, Grinchmas
    '09 Producer: The Marriage Ref
    '10 Show Writer: Universal Studios

Post Thanks / Like

1) I thought I was ready to be an Imagineer.
    2) I applied to "professional" employment.
    3) I got an interview.
    4) I got a job offer as a Manager.
    5) Had to turn it down.
    6) It would have been too much of a pay cut.

7) There is no bitterness and little disappointment.
    8) I was good enough to make the grade.
    9) I just needed more bucks than they offered.
    10) So many people want Disney, that wages are kept low.
    11) Oh well, maybe after I retire I will re-apply.
    12) Until then, I will just enjoy our visits.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

As with any job, for some there may be a pay cut involved for any number of reasons but I don't think that Imagineering as a whole pays significantly lower wages, especially in the engineering fields, but it all depends on your situation.

For myself, could I be making more elsewhere? Perhaps, but I can't say it's a significant difference (when you also factor in cost of living, benefits, etc)- and I look at the variety of projects I've had the opportunity to work on and the people I'm surrounded with so I'm quite satisfied with where I am.

It's not to say that there isn't high turnover in the industry, and in the past a lot of folks have been lured away from Imagineering to join other groups or change careers. It's easily possible that I could go out as a contractor for a 3-4 month project and make as much with that one project as I make yearly, but right now the projects just aren't out there in the industry, and I really believe that Disney does value it's employees (regardless of the frustration I may have with how the business is run).

The average length of employment in this industry for any firm does hover around 18 months. This sort of work depends on travel/tourism and obviously in times like this, management finds it hard to justify capital expenditures- so you have lay-offs, and people are scrambling to keep busy on projects because the nature of our work revolves around the next project to get approved (there have been reports that estimate that WDI may put together as many as 50 proposals, only to have 1 or 2 "greenlighted" to the next phase). It's a vicious, cylical environment and is not for the faint of heart.

However the rewards, beyond what can be measured financially outweigh the negatives from my perspective. I get rewarded with the smiles and memories that guests take away with them while still getting to play with some pretty cool, cutting-edge technology and have the greatest group of co-workers putting my talents towards something fun (not off in some cubicle somewhere designing the latest circuit board layout for some obscure microprocessor that's going into a toaster).

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Bumped up for kingomvision
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

kingomvision Guest

WDWacky, hahaha thanks a bunch [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

at first i was like..."wait that guy knows my name...." haha it's 1:16am here...that's why.

I do actually have a few questions for Mufasa:

1) is the imagi-nations competition open to international students?

2) same as above but for the internship?

3) I am in the process of getting my BFA in Theatre design with a minor in creative writing. I imagine that a lot of people applying for WDI might follow a similar path. What would be your advice in terms of "standing out". My immediate thought would be to become an excellent visual artist such as creating amazing paintings, sketches, models, felt renderings etc. I assume that if you send in your portfolio and they see stuff that they would want to show off in a book, then you've got a good chance no matter what your educational background.

4) straight out of college? or more experience? (in terms of set design/writing/artistry)

5) any more advice/tips considering my field of work?

6) if i am lucky enough to get an interview, what type of person are they usually looking for? a good team worker? a creative mind? problem solver? in tune with the current young generation? someone who is respectful of Disney history? All of the above?

7) you say internships are competitive, what do you mean? when you apply is it based on a portfolio or interview?

8) what do you do at imagineering?

9) (this one is more of a joke - i'm not really this stupid or naieve, but just play along) If we showed you samples of our work and you really thought it was great would you get in trouble for showing it to your bosses and trying to land us jobs?! (heh heh i figured no one had asked the "hook me up!" question!)

thank you so much mufasa, the info is greatly appreciated. Stay in touch.

[img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

This is great info, thanks for sharing. My question is, what type of work do they handle in the NYC office? That's where I am currently located and at the moment don't want to leave the city.

Thanks!

kingomvision Guest

bumping until mufasa gets back. thanks.

[img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback for those with artistic talents or those in school looking for direction (something I didn't have, aside from directions to the bar! [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img] ) But, how about those already into their careers, say as printing sales and production people (hint), who love the idea of WDW and would like to lend their skills to the Dream? Are there Imagineer career paths that require skills other than that of the artistic/engineer/architect fields? Hey, I have an Imagination and am willing to help out the Mouse! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Peter

1999 Off-site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Contemporary
    2002 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2004 Joined the DVC!!!
    Boardwalk Villas / Saratoga Springs
    2006 Boardwalk Villas
    2008 June - Four nights in Old Key West are set and then it's down to Key Largo for three nights!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone-

I've been incredibly busy lately so I haven't had much time to respond to things, but I have been reading through this thread and will post my reply as soon as I can.

As far as some of the disciplines within WDI here's a listing from one of our recruiting brochures:

Accountants, Advanced Technology Researchers, Architects, Architectural Designers, Audio/Video Specialists and Engineers, CAD Specialists, Carpenters, Civil Engineers, Colorists, Computer Software Designers and Programmers, Conceptual Designers, Construction Managers, Contract Administrators, Cost Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Electronic and Electromechanical Assemblers, Environmental Designers and Space Planners, Exhibit Designers, Facility Designers and Space Planners, Financial Analysts, General Services Support, Graphic Designers, Human Resource Specialists, Illustrators, Industrial Designers, Industrial Engineers, Interior Designers, Landscape Architects, Librarians and Information Specialists, Lighting Designers, Local Area Network Administrators, Machinists, Materials Applications Designers, Material Planners, Mechanical Engineers, Model Builders, Optics and Projection Systems Engineers, Plastics Fabricators, Producers, Production Artists, Production Coordinators, Project Estimators, Project Managers, Project Planners, Project Schedulers, Prototype Developers, Quality Assurance Engineers, Scenic Artists, Screen Printers, Sculptors, Secretaries, Show Technology Designers, Show Set Designers, Special Effects Designers, Story and Copy Writers, Storyboard and Sketch Artists, Strategic Planners, Systems Engineers, Telecommunications Specialists, Tool and Die Makers

That isn't a comprehensive list by any means, but it goes to show you that there probably is a fit for you if you believe that you belong here. The one common thing amongst everyone in WDI is that we all share the title of Imagineer. In other words, there is no one magic path towards becomming an Imagineer (it's not really so much a job as it is an attitude and way of thinking).

Gotta get back to work... I'll try and post more again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mufasa for the generous thread!

as far as concept artist/illustrator positions -- does WDI accept unsolicited portfolios, or is there a certain process for review? do you have to know someone who knows someone? or are they open about new work?

many thanks!
    It's fun to be free.

Clermont, Florida...ten minutes from Disney :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mufasa- many thanks for the info...

I noticed "graphic designer" listed above as part of WDI. Does that encompass all graphic design for the company or what? I'm graduating in December with a degree in graphic design and had thought vaguely of pursuing something with Disney. Any advice on how to kick that off?

Thanks! Mary
    ~Mary Burk~<br /><br />Living the dream as an entertainment CM :)<br /><br />Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: