Quantcast A Star Wars Wild Weekend -- Day Two 5/14/04

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

A Star Wars Wild Weekend -- A PolyGirl40 Trip Report

5/14/04 – Day Two

Who turned out the lights? – Star Wars Mania & the Best Chicken EVER!

May 14, 2004 – Hot & Humid (88/68)

Starting Line-up:
    Me: Carol
    #1 Son: Jeremy

Dates: May 13-17, 2004

I woke up to a very stuffy room and complete darkness. We had no power. I climbed out of bed to see if it was just our room or the entire resort. I could see the lights on across the lake and the lamps were lit on our walkway. Hmmmm. Now what? I had no idea what time it was. I needed to get up at 5:30.

I figured I’d call the main desk … but what button were they? I couldn’t see the phone! I decided to wing it and feel for button 1. Nope that was bell services. They were able to tell me that the resort was testing their backup power system. (It would have been nice to let the guests know.) The Cast Member had no idea how long it would be until power was restored and suggested that I call the Main Desk. OK – but I cannot see my phone! I asked her if she could patch me through. She said she’d try. Well – I did get the front desk and found out that the power would be back in approximately 15/20 minutes. I asked her what time it was. It was 5:08AM.

I might as well stay up. I was afraid the system would not be working for my wake-up call in 30 minutes. I wasn’t quite sure how I would get ready without power though. Nonetheless power was back up and running within that time frame. I still think they should have let guests know about the test. After all, they left us messages each day about Extra Magic Hour - why not something as important as a planned loss of power? [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

We were out the door and on our way by 7-ish. We popped into the convenient store for a coffee and Sprite. Neither Jer nor I are very big breakfast eaters. We opt to skip since we had a noon PS at 50’s Prime time Café.

I was so excited for Jeremy. [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] Star Wars Weekend was a dream come true for him. He is such a fan! I could see his excitement swelling as the clocked ticked down. A bus pulled up shortly before 7:30. MGM is only a hop-skip-and-a-jump from Coronado Springs. (Another reason why we selected this resort.) Before long we were at the front of the turnstiles waiting to be let in. We knew it would be over an hour wait --- but that was OK with us. We were here! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Guest Relations opened up and I activated my Annual Pass while Jer listened to all of the hype from the other fans in line. At 8:45 we were let into a roped off area on the main street to alleviate some of the congestion behind us at the gates. Stormtroopers were atop the entrance roof - as Star Wars music blared over the sound system.

I must say it pays to be organized and prepared. We knew we had to head right to the Millionaire attraction to get Fast Passes for the autograph signing. As soon as they dropped the rope we were on way -- along with a few 1,000 other people. It is imperative to obtain these passes first and foremost in the morning. You are allowed one pass per park ticket. If you want the second celebrity you must go to the end of the line and start again. We opted to get one Fast Pass for each star, since Jeremy is the fan. I would be the photographer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Even though we were among the first guests through the gates our signing times were split. I got an 11:45 time for Jeremy Bulloch, while Jer received a 2:50 time for Jake Lloyd. Of course I gave Jeremy my Fast Pass. (There are 3 signing opportunities during the day. They are limited to 45 minute sessions. Once the Fast Passes are gone – no more are issued. They do offer a stand-by line. However, an autograph is not guaranteed. It is based on time allowance after Fast Pass guests are finished.)

With a happy Star Wars fan in tow and 2 autograph Fast Passes we head on over to Tatooine Traders. Jeremy had a shopping list the size of his arm. As luck would have it they were just setting up the cart at the Backlot Express. We scored almost all of the Star Wars Weekend exclusive merchandise in one hit. The only thing missing was the Jedi Mickey beanie. Yay! We had our packages sent to our resort and headed to the Star Tours shop on an action figure and Jedi Mickey plush hunt.

The line for merchandise was HUGE .. out the door and around the corner. Since the store is small they were limiting the amount of people allowed in. We went on the attraction and got into the shop that way. Apparently the Jedi Mickey beanie had not made it to Orlando yet. Guests had to fill out a form and pay for the product. It would then be sent to the front of the park at the end of the day. OK. I guess that means we have to get into that big ol’ line - huh? It was the longest we waited in all trip. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The line moved so, so slowly. What are ya gonna do?

On a positive note, while waiting to check out we had a Mikki and Andrew sighting. That was very cool and a very nice treat. I think Figaro was hiding from the Wookie -- as we didn’t see the kitty.

After leaving Star Tours we meandered around the park soaking in the entire event atmosphere. We met many Star Wars characters along the way … including a visit with Jedi Mickey. Evidently Sorcerer Mickey has the next few weekends off. It was very fun!

Note; If you are going to MGM for this event do not consider it to be your MGM park day. There is no way to do the park and see all of the Star Wars stuff. The various shows and attractions offered will impede on the regular stuff. We weren’t even able to attend the Great Movie Ride INTERCOT meet since we wanted to see the 4:30 showing of Behind the Force.

Anyhoo ----

[ May 20, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

At 11AM there is a motorcade that brings the celebrities into the event. We opted to miss that since we did not know how organized the autograph sessions would be. (I'm pleased to say they were very organized.) We hardly had a wait. If your Fast Pass time was up you were allowed into the roped off area. I went in with Jeremy while he chatted with Jeremy Bulloch. He seemed like such a genuine guy and liked my son’s name.

By now it was noontime and our PS time had opened so we popped on over to 50’s Prime Time Café. Along the way I tried to talk Jeremy into signing up for the Trivia Contest. He knows SO much about the movies and the making of. However, he figured they’d ask impossible questions. Oh well … we were going to watch the finals at 6PM anyway to see just how hard the questions were. (For those interested in participating - registration begins at 9AM at the information desk.)

We had quite a lengthy wait for our table at Prime Time. I’m glad we had a PS. Our server was Uncle Dave. I asked about our favorite cousin, Mark, and found out he was off today <bummer>. We love this restaurant. In fact Jeremy picked all of our dining spots for this trip. They basically consisted of his favorites with one new spot to come tomorrow. We ordered the fried onions to share as an appetizer. I had the chicken pot pie for my entrée and Jer selected the BBQ chicken sandwich. Both were very good and we did our best to clean our plates. We didn’t manage very well and did not earn our “clean plate stickers”. Total tab: $41.49

With full tummies we headed over to see Indiana Jones. Unlike some guests my boys (we) really enjoy this show over and over again. We make a point to see it at least once per trip. It’s fun because we always notice the slightest differences. After seeing Indy save the day we headed over to the ABC Theater for the Stars of the Saga Talk Show. This was great! The 2 celebrities have an Q&A session with the host. We learned some neat facts. Jake Lloyd was brought out to join Jeremy Bulloch after about 10 minutes. He was also asked individual questions. Then the floor was opened up to the audience. (5x7 cards were offered at the entrance. Guests could jot down a question and the staff would hand pick the “good ones”) It was very interesting. We found out that Jeremy did not get to keep his Boba Fett suit and the strangest thing Jake Lloyd was asked to autograph was someone's baby! I have to add that the theater was being patrolled by Stormtroopers and they did some pre-show antics. It was hysterical!!

After leaving the theater we proceeded back over to Jedi Mickey Avenue for our autograph session with Jake Lloyd. Autograph in hand we decided to see the Muppets and attend the Behind the Force film before snagging a spot for the 5:30 parade. The Behind the Force film was very informative. It included "making of" stuff, out-takes and sneak previews of Episode III. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

We planned on going to the closing events and opted to find a parade viewing spot near Star Tours. (Another great plan!) The closing events are held on the stage by Star Tours. We watched the parade from a bench across from Sounds Dangerous. This put us at a great advantage. When the parade ended for us we were able to walk right on over to the stage, front and center!!!

The Trivia contest started first at 6PM. Jeremy would have finished in second place!!! He never missed a question until the very last one. I was amazed. I knew he was a fountain of information but WOW! I was lost after the first round and multiple choice.

The Hyperspace Hoopla tops off the evening. An array of characters are brought out onto the stage throughout the show. It lasts 30 minutes and was a blast. Many of the characters go into the audience. In fact midway through the festivities I felt a tap on my shoulder and turn to find an Ewok. The Ewok took a major liking to Jeremy and watched the remainder of the show with him. He’d put his arm around Jer, hugging him, and laughing with him. Great fun! The last dance of the evening was Y-O-D-A (to the tune of YMCA)

I cannot put into words what a wonderful time we had. The only thing we missed was the special Millionaire Show and a few photo ops with some of the characters. (Only 2 Millionaire shows are delegated for the Star Wars edition. They both happened to hit during our autograph sessions. We definitely knew where we would head in the morning.)

It was now nearly 7:30. We headed for package pick-up to get our Jedi Mickey beanie. When we arrived we were told that most everyone did not receive their orders --- as there was some problem with Receiving and Federal Express. Well --- I don’t know how it happened but our order was one of a few that got filled. We scored! Jedi Mickey is adorable. He even has a lightsaber.

Jer’s restaurant of choice tonight is the Kona Café. Everyone knows how much we love this restaurant. Plus we get to visit the Polynesian!!!! We walked out front of MGM and within minutes a Polynesian bus arrived to whisk us away to tropical paradise.

We check-in a bit late for our PS. It was not a problem. We were seated within 10 minutes of arriving. The restaurant was filled to capacity. We were parched from all of our sun and adventures. Together we downed a pitcher of water. We both ordered their spectacular crab cakes for an appetizer. Jeremy selected the Pan Asian Pasta. (Crab cakes and this entrée were his exact reasons for dining here.) I decided on the Coconut chicken and readily deemed it the best chicken ever! OH MY goodness, folks. You want to talk about a mouth party for the taste buds. [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img] This was the best meal of the trip. It was served with a fresh mixed green salad. The flavors were amazing!!!!! Needless to say it was the perfect ending to an already perfect day! Total meal tab: $55.32

It was after 9 when we were done dining. Wishes had just completed. We ended up just beating the masses exiting the Magic Kingdom for the buses. We were back in our room by 10:30PM. We had received a message from the front desk reminding us of the Extra Magic Hour at MGM in the morning. We knew that was our goal anyway and placed a wake-up call of 6:00AM. [img]graemlins/sleepin.gif[/img]

We were sleeping as soon as our heads hit the pillow. It was a very long and fun-filled day. One we will remember forever!

Next Up:

More INTERCOTee sightings - Jawa Thievery and Jeremy finally goes to Mars!

Star Wars Weekend Photos

[ May 20, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent trip report! I've been checking on and off all day to see if it would be up! DH & I leave for the world in 15 hours! A solo trip with Star Wars Weekend being our main focus! Glad you guys had such a great time. Too bad Jer didn't try out the trivia game... I'm trying to talk DH into it! He's a huge SW fan too! Thanks for posting! The photos are great! Though I have to admit I checked them out yesterday! [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I was too excited to wait! Thanks again for sharing them with us! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)
    11/2017 family trip(POP)

FUTURE TRIPS
    1/2019 ASMusic

Post Thanks / Like

Great fun for you and your son!

You are making me so hungry for the Pan Asian past at Kona! [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img]
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Carol ! I'm making notes so we're prepared for our trip . . . the Hoopla sounds like a blast !

Quick question about the autograph FP's -- do they hand out FP's for each celebrity at the same time ? So with 4 park passes we should be able to each stand in a line & get a FP . . . is that right ?

I sure hope Jedi Mickey stays around until the last weekend !
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

What an excellent day Carol. Felt like I was right there with you. Again the photos are excellent. The MGM Star Wars entrance sign is now my desktop wallpaper.
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Momof2boys:

Quick question about the autograph FP's -- do they hand out FP's for each celebrity at the same time ? So with 4 park passes we should be able to each stand in a line & get a FP . . . is that right ?
    Yes - Both are available at the same time. Two machines are open. One for each celebrity. Each guest must have their own ticket and make their own selection. An attendant is there to take the passes.

If someone in your party wants a second Fast Pass they must go to the end of the line. I got a Fast Pass for Jeremy Bulloch, while my son got one for Jake Lloyd. This way we did not have to go around again.

Also - they have nice black and white celebrity photos there for signing if you want them.
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

The whole day sounds like an amazing experience. I am glad that everything worked out so good for you guys. I really enjoyed reading all the activities. It all sounded like such fun. Can't wait to hear more.

I loved all your photos. I hope you don't mind, but I had to make a wallpaper of the Star Wars sign too. Jer looks so serious in the pictures with the stars and characters. Must be a little bit of mind overload to love something so much and then have it all around you like that!

[ May 20, 2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: ChipnDaleGal ]
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Sure was a terrific day. Thanks for sharing the pictures and thanks for a great report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

What an exciting day for you and Jeremy! Glad Jeremy got his autographs and merchandise.

I enjoyed your pics. Looks like you had good vantage points too.

Next time clean your plate. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
    Ben

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like such a blast!! I am going to have to do this some time!! I bet Jeremy was on cloud 9 all day!

Too bad your day started off in the dark. They really should have let the guests know!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

That's so weird, Carol, I actually did get a message (and a note on my table) about the power outage. Wonder why you guys didn't get one? But I woke up to a flashing clock and stuffy room too! Yuck.

It sounds like you guys are having such a great time so far! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Sounds like Jeremy had the time of his life! Great reports!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I should have posted this in your Day 1 report, but I had to laugh - I got lost trying to find my room at CSR too! [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I was in building 7A, so I parked at one end, and of course my room was ALL the way down at the other end! Glad you made it in OK, though!

singermom4 Guest

Sigh! I am also a Star Wars fan but don't know when we will be able to make it for a Star Wars weekend - oh well, at least I could live it vicariously through your vivid descriptions! And mmmm....Kona Cafe [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img] - definitely one of my favourite WDW restaurants!

How frustrating about the power outage! I was similarily upset during the WDW marathon when several exits were closed off. I felt the resorts should have provided maps of alternate routes to guests and good signage for detours instead of nada - we spent a good portion of our precious last day being lost!

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my friends are so annoyed we arive in WDW a day after the star wars week ends. talk about bad luck. [img]graemlins/mike.gif[/img]
    "Two tiny wings, Eyes big and yellow, Horns of a steer, But a lovable fellow!, From head to tail, He's royal purple pigment, And there, You've got a Figment"

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SteelyGirl:

I got lost trying to find my room at CSR too! [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I was in building 7A, so I parked at one end, and of course my room was ALL the way down at the other end!
    That's exactly what we did. We saw the sign for our building and entered the maze. I had no idea the building had 3 entrances (archways) and was so huge. We got lost the second day too ( [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) --- but not nearly as bad. By day 3 we had it down pat. We were very proud the first time we found the room without back tracking. [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
    We met many Star Wars characters along the way … including a visit with Jedi Mickey. Evidently Sorcerer Mickey has the next few weekends off.
    How cute! Love the pic of Jeremy with Jedi Mickey!

What a wonderful, wonderful day, Carol. I'm so glad it's going so smoothly for you guys. It really does sound very organized, and it certainly paid for you guys to be on top of things. Can't wait to read more! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Melanie aka Melanears ºOº

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

It was great to see you Carol!

I am so impressed with you getting your trip reports up already - Figaro is still working on his (but the evil fairy did delete all the daily reports he had done while were away so he is having to rewrite) and he was disapointed to miss you at the studios [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the continuing great reports! You have given me lots of food for thought about how I may spend next Saturday at the Stuidos. I'm glad your son enjoyed it so much.
    Last trip: May 26-28, 2006
    DVC Members since 2001
    "When you imagine, time becomes timeless..."

Post Thanks / Like

Great trip report! We're going to be there in a few weeks and plan to do EMH on a Saturday morning, but hope to avoid the Star Wars stuff. Do you think that SWW affected crowd size? If we stay on the other side of the park will we be OK? Or should I make alternate plans? We'll be leaving by noon, just want to hit TOT, RNRC and a few things for the kids.
    Kim

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Wow, sounds like a fantastic day, Carol!

I am craving that Pan Asian Pasta now (my favorite dish at the Kona Cafe [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img] ).

Thanks for another wonderful report! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: