Quantcast Anyone tried water skiing on Bay Lake?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Has anyone tried the water skiing on Bay Lake?
    I am told this is at the Contemporary..and it is an hourly charge for up to I think 6 people on the boat.
    I wonder has anyone done this?
    We would like to say we have skied on Bay Lake, however my concern is that they do not let you swim in Bay Lake from the beaches of the hotels, supposedly because of bacteria/and the lake being man made and shallow, so I wonder is it really safe to be water skiing in it. I mean you are in the water the same as you would be swimming, especially if you take a fall...you're goin' under! So how does that work? Sounds like it's okay to swim in if you want to pay for it and take the chance..or do I have it wrong?
    Phyllis

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know nothing about this but it sounds like a lot of fun!! I though I had seen people water skiing in the past (like in the early '90s) but I haven't seen any on our last couple trips.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Bay Lake is not man made -- didn't Walt see Discovery Island when he flew over the land? I think maybe it's Seven Seas Lagoon that is man made.

Anyway, I hope you find out more about it, because I would like to know more as well!!

[img]smile.gif[/img] - V
    1972, Orlando Campground; 1988-94, Orlando-area resident (frequent visits); 1992, PO; 1993, Dolphin; 1996, WL; 1996, D.Inst.; 1997, BW Inn; April 2001, Wild. Home; Nov. 2001, BWV, OKW & AS Music; March 2002, OKW; Nov. 2002, BWV & Offsite; Nov. 2005, SSprings and WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't seven seas lagoon run into Bay Lake?
    I'm confused..gotta go look this up.
    I know they don't let you swim from the Wilderness Lodge, which I believe is on Bay Lake.

[ March 26, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Auntie ]
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

I've never waterskied on Bay Lake (don't swim well so don't want to take a chance). However, Bay Lake is the real thing. The Seven Seas Lagoon is man made (the dirt was used to raise the Magic Kingdom for the utilidors) and is connected to Bay Lake via the bridge over World Drive.

Wayne
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Bay lake is original and yes it does run into Seven seas. The island was there and had a home on it during the 1900-1930's. I water-ski, but would not at Disney. The water is nasty.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay gotcha..but doesn't the bacteria in the Seven Seas Lagoon float on over if they are joined? I assumed that is why they don't want you swimming from the WL Beach? Though, I often wondered when River Country was opened why they didn't want you swimming at the beach at Ft. Wilderness, yet you were in the same water if you were at River Country. Sort of perlexing.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Seven Seas lagoon was man made. From what I have been told from several castmembers that there is bacteria in the water that can make you very sick. I remember going to Disney in the early 80's and you could swim there. Now you cannot swim in the lake or lagoon from any resort. River Country used the lake water but it was filtered, this is what I was told. Also one thing to remember I do not care what Disney says but where you have water you have GATORS. I have read that Disney says it keeps the gators out, but on our most recent trip to the WL I asked about this and was told that they do have gators. They even had one living in a pond close to the WL. So that is something to keep in mind about waterskiing on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

The water probably does have some sort of bacteria, especailly if it gets about 85 degress.

The main reason you are not allowed to swim in Bay Lake is that Disney would then need to provide lifeguards. Because of the danger of the watercraft in these areas, lifeguards would be a must. This would be expensive..
    Recovering VMK Addict Avalanchefan

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Here's a link to a topic from last summer discussing bacteria in the lakes. Toward the end of the topic, it does touch on water skiing and why it is still allowed.

I did a search of Trip Reports and didn't find any accounts of anyone having done the water skiing at WDW.
    Rhonda

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

From Disney's Website : Waterskiing at WDW

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. From what I've read regarding the bacteria level...I think we're gonna pass on the water skiing. You definetly go under water if you take a fall and I figure it's not worth the chance.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I grew up in Orlando, we lived on a lake and skiied almost everyday-weather permitting. I remember in the early 80's, every one was worried about the amoeba. I think they can either swim up your nose, or in through your ears. We wore ear plugs and nose plugs...young and stupid. Also, I remember walking along that old wooden bridge at River Country and seeing a small gator, we notified a CM, I dont know if he was caught. When skiing by our house, we would see gators in the water a lot, I guess growing up with it-it isn't as scary. I do remember they could get over(somehow) our chain link fence and get into our trash. My neighbor lost her poodle to a gator when I was really little... [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: