Quantcast Biggest mistake?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

All in all, what would you say is the biggest mistake most first-timers make on their Disney vacation? A co-worker is planning on going to WDW and I'm trying to help her make the most of it.

I think the most commmon mistake is not familiarizing oneself with the parks ahead of time. (I gave her a used copy of Birnbaum's from a few years back.) They go in, are overwhelmed by all the new sights and sounds, and never realize the wide variety of options they have. (She's making Cinderella reservations because someone told her "you HAVE to do that!"--when I asked if her two boys wouldn't rather have a meal with different characters, she said, "they have other ones?")

Anyway, just wanted to see what you all had to say on the subject. Thanks for your opinions!
    --Pat / HooksLeftHand

"I'd like to take a moment to point out some of our native plants...There's one over there...there's one...there's another."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the biggest mistake is not finding a wonderful source like Intercot to help you understand what the WDW experience is really like!! I am so glad I found this site when I did, before my first trip! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    It's been invaluable to me in planning and in my enjoyment of all the parks etc.
    When I have a question about something all I have to do is ask.

Each trip shows me the importance of planning, little details do matter!
    Each trip I get a bit better, still not great but I'm improving. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "A mouse named Mortimer would be too pretentious" ~Mrs. Walt Disney~ <br /><br />Six Trips Down..... <br />Many More To GO!!!<br /><br />August 2002 Downtown Disney Hilton<br />*****<br />September 2002 Off Site (Tampa)<br />*****<br />October 2002 <br />MNSSHP<br />Off Site, Downtown Disney and finally, on-site Animal Kingdom Lodge! <br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />December 2002<br />MVMCP/CP<br />Off Site <br />Kissimmee<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />April 2003<br />Birthday Trip Off Site Kissimme<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />August-September 2003 <br />Off Site Kissimmee

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is a mistake, or just part of the process, but going with the idea that the parks are all there are.

I know of families who, their first trip, have toured parks from open to close, have been thoroughly exhausted and haven't gone back. Ever. So sad.

I feel lucky to have been visiting WDW since 1974, when there was only one park. The gradual development of WDW has helped us to learn to experience all of WDW - resorts, parks, transportation, character meals, restaurants, and other activities.

Luckiest though are our kids who had a wonderful aunt who took them in November of 1971. The shirts last year that said something about since 1971 were a big hit with them. Whoever thought of those shirts had a good idea.

Maybe not budgeting SOME money for souvenirs is a mistake too! Gotta bring back a little of the magic.

Along those lines is film. I have learned the hard way to bring at least 2 rolls per day. And then maybe add another 10% for contingency factor!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

IMHO, there may not be just one "biggest" mistake, unless you lump all the common mistakes under the heading of "not planning adequately". From my experience with our trips and helping out others with their first trips, I come up with this short list of "mistakes"

1) Going with the idea that you will just 'wing it' when you get there, and be very spontaneous. I'm all for spontaneity, but the number of options at WDW is so immense that everyone I've known that tries this becomes so overwhelmed that that they have a perfectly miserable time. Having at least a skeleton of a plan will keep you sane.

2) Expecting to do everything in one 4 day visit. As we all know, this is just not rational. Even for the Disney Commandos. Of course, first timers don't usually understand this, and often feel they have to do everything in order to 'get their money's worth'. I've seen many a guest rushing from one place to another, treating the whole experience as if their life depended on seeing every attraction at the Magic Kingdom before noon. Not only is it not going to happen, but they're going to miss the magic in the details.

3) As has already been mentioned, not looking past the theme parks is a huge error. The resorts, the water parks, the shows and the tours are just as magical (maybe more so) than the rides at the parks. To ignore them completely, is to miss out on a large percentage of the magic.

As anecdotal evidence of these 'mistakes', I submit two families we tried to help with their first trips.

Family #1 asked us for help, came over to the house for dinner and we spent 3 or 4 hours going over options, finding out their likes and dislikes and making some recommendations to them - from shows to see right down to clothing to take with them. They had a wonderful time (and we have a great picture of them all with Mickey!). They have become true believers and are looking forward to future trips.

Family #2 asked for some tips, but didn't really pay attention. They decided to 'wing it', with mom just going to get some sun. The trip went sour immediately. With 3 boys and no plans, they were in a constant state of confusion and disagreement. They saw and did almost nothing. I think the word 'wretched' was used to describe their trip. They won't be going back ever again.

Well, that's my two cents worth. Just reinforcing the other posts. It all comes down to this: a great trip requires some planning. And Intercot is the best place for that planning to start!

Steve

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I think the biggest mistake people make is not knowing what they are getting into. You know your likes and dislikes so if you get to know Disney you can plan for what you want to do and what you don't want to do. My SIL and BIL are not ride people, they enjoyed MGM the most out of their trip because there were a lot of different shows. They felt that Epcot and Magic Kingdom were a waste of their time because there is nothing to do but rides. WRONG! Plus alot of the rides (that we have now told them about) they woudl have gone on but since they didn't do their research they didn't know what each ride was.

Another thing is to go with this idea that you can't eat anywhere in the parks. My SIL and BIL stayed off property and ate all their major meals off property which meant a constant coming and going into the parks. If they would have just stayed put and explored their dinning options they would have discovered that you can eat in the parks for a reasonable price, you just have to know where to go.

And three to remember to have fun! This is not a battle plan! It is vacation!

~Amanda

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Definitely going without a plan in hand. For the first time, to maximize your experience, you have to do your homework ahead of time.

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more regarding the need to plan.

We took our 4 kids to WDW (their first visit; DW and I haven't been there since 1986)this August. I planned for over one year and had everyone involved. We had a general theme for a day and a PS or two.

Everyone thought it was funny -- until we got there. They are still thanking me for the great time we had and how much we did in seven days,
    because of the planning and starting each day with a rope drop.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more with the fact you need a plan and to familiarize your selves with the park. I am going with 2 first timers and my girlfriend who is a second timer. Fortunately she went with me and my folks her first trip so she understands the importance of some sort of plan. The other two people are very reluctant to plan so I hope this all goes well. I think a second thing is you can't go in with the attitude that you can do everything. It just can not be done and still enjoy yourself and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you relax and actually get more ground covered and more done. Also I suggest to most of my friends who are first timers not to go during the busy season because once you are there it is too late to find out that you are clausterphobic and that the sheer number of people is too overwhelming.
    -Chris R.

"We now face the danger, which in the past has been the most destructive to the humans: Success, plenty, comfort and ever-increasing leisure. No dynamic people has ever survived these dangers." --John Steinbeck

Tinker-Brendie Guest

Smile

This just my own observation, but I think the biggest mistake some families make is confusing achieving the goal with the process of getting there.
    What I mean is that they get so fixated on the destination that they don't enjoy the journey.
    For example, busting through the crowd to get Mickey's autograph and not stopping to watch the little kids react to Minnie's microwave and answering machine.
    [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    IMHO it's not how fast you get to Pooh, how many autographs you get or how many people you knock over on the way to the castle, it's ENJOYING the experience, the atmosphere, the ambience, the piped-in cookie smell...
    the magic of the place. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

1. Planning cannot be overemphasized. The first time I went with our family, I used Birnbaum's to familiarize myself with the parks and felt like I made the most of that vacation.
    2. Make PS for any sit down. I almost always hear people complaining about having to wait for an open table.
    3. Don't assume you have to watch the MK parades on Main Street. You won't have to spend so much time getting a front row view then waiting if you watch the parade from Frontierland.
    4. Stay at a Disney owned property if it is at all possible. Research your options. Most people just assume it will be cheaper to stay off-property and that is not always the case.
    5. Don't stress, don't try to do all 4 parks in a short time.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

The biggest mistake is thinking you have to spend a bundle to have a great time. I think seeing the price for an all Disney encounter scares many away. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the biggest mistakes is not planning enough time for your vacation. Our first trip in 1990, we stayed for seven days. This was barely enough time for us to really enjoy ourselves, see everything, and still be relaxed. Back then though, there was no Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney (marketplace or west side), wide world of sports, etc. There's a lot more to do now. So when we go, we stay at least 12 nights. This gives plenty of time to see everything, you can do your favorite stuff several times, and most importantly, YOU DON'T HAVE TO RUSH AND CAN RELAX. So if you have the money and time, I'd stay as long as you can.
    Summer 1990-Polynesian<br />Summer 1995-Wilderness Lodge<br />Summer 1998-Grand Floridian<br />Summer 2003-Port Orleans Riverside<br />Christmas 2003-All Stars Movies

Post Thanks / Like

DW, DD, DS and I have been just twice in the last 3 years. I am not nearly the veterans that many of my fellow Intercotees are. That being the case, maybe I can relate to mistakes newbies make. Or at least the ones I made

1) Stay on WDW Property is at all possible! On our first trip, I booked us a room at a HoJo in Kissimmee and rented a car at the airport. What we saved on the room, we spent on the car (DUHH )

2) Have a basic plan. On the first trip we knew that we wanted to go to MK and were not real sure what other one other park we wanted to see. We ruled out Epcot (not too much for preschoolers) and got up one morning and decided on the way whether we would go to DS or AK. We went to AK but really had no idea what to do when we got there. That day was fun, but not as much as it could have been.

3) Realizing that we would be back to WDW again (and again and again), when we got home I started learning as much as I could about WDW so I could avoid previous mistakes and maximize our vacation. Since I am designated as the family's official "Disney Nut", I spent an hour or two occasionally at Barnes and Noble drinking coffee and studying the various guidebooks in detail. This may sound boring to some, but I was soaking it all in and enjoying every relaxing minute. Lastly, I found Intercot (and a handful of related sites). By apprenticing myself to folks like y'all with considerable Disney knowledge and experience I learned how to have a WDW vacation and maximize our time and money that we spent. On our second trip we had just a magnificent vacation. We are all dreaming of the day when we can go for trip #3. (Only problem, is now I'm hooked on this tuff like some of you [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )

4) First timers should just take their time and not try to cram everything in. It's the magic of the place that matters the most. So what if it takes you and hour to get past Main Street because your kids are interacting with characters? This is where memories and magic are born, in the small, slow moments. Taking our time will always be a top value for my family.

Zippa
    David<br /><br />WDW Visits<br />May 2000 - off-site<br />April 2002 - AS Sports<br />June 2003 - AS Music<br />March 2004 - POR<br />November 2004 - AS Music<br /><br />"Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than we can ask or imagine, be glory forever and ever" Ephesians 3:20-21

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Florida resident and have been going to Disney every few years since it opened. I think a big mistake for first timers would be to go on peak season for their first trip. It is just too crowded for first timers and discourages them from wanting to go back. I recommend October, November or March (not arround spring break though.)
    I agree with the postings of having an experienced wdw visitor give you as many tips as you can get ahead of time. Do take notes when you talk with them, it will will be difficult to remember it all once you get there.
    I also recommend taking an experienced wdw visitor with you. We took my best friend and her husband and children when we took our daughter for her first trip. We had fun showing them around. I think they all enjoyed it more because we were able to take them directly to whatever they wanted to see and they didn't have to figure out the maps or get lost. Of course it must be someone that you all get along with or you will drive each other crazy. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

wdwtraveler - This is off-topic but I wanted to pop in and welcome you to Intercot! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Glad you've joined us!

Back on topic - our first trip to the World took place back when the Magic Kingdom was the only park there (EPCOT was under construction). We, therefore, had the luxury of being acquainted with each new place within Disney as it became part of the world.

I think one of the biggest problems facing folks who have never been before is realizing how vast this place is. Despite almost a year of planning for our very first trip, we were still surprised by the number of things we found to do in the World (canoeing, swimming, Magic Kingdom, horseback riding, eating) and this is when there were far fewer choices than there are today.

Both underplanning and overplanning, I think, are common mistakes for first-timers. One needs a basic plan but that plan should allow for some flexibility and/or down time.

No-one is ever an expert the first time one does something. It comes with experience. This is part of what makes Intercot so wonderful! Folks with experience can share what they know with folks who aren't as experienced. I know I learn something new here almost every day!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen people with really bad sunburns. That can ruin your trip in a hurry. I've always had this habit of looking at people's footwear when they are at Disney.What I have seen some park guests wearing maked my own feet hurt. Tennis shoes or good walking shoe make a world of difference. Bring extra film with you and sundries like sunblock,Tylenol,Benedryl ect. We usually keep a deck of cards with us so we can paly if we are sitting somewhere just passing the time (like a park bench before a parade).Don't understimate the amount of walking that you will do at Disney. Start walking every day a few weeks before you go and you will be thankful that you built up your stamina. All the others hints that others have given have been great and I hope my insights are helpful to others also.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I know our biggest mistake was we didn't know you could go *inside* some of the pavilions at Epcot. So we missed the boat rides and most of the shows on our first trip.

Also, the comment about the sneakers is a good one. Bring MORE THAN ONE PAIR!! If it rains, your feet will get soaked and usually sneakers won't dry overnight. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] Oh and carry a poncho with you. Florida is known for its sudden storms.
    ~95 offsite<br />~99 POFQ/Disney Wonder<br />~01 Dixie Landings<br />~Jan 03 BWI/GF<br />~Apr 03 Wilderness Lodge<br />~Sep 03 Beach Club Villas<br />~Oct 03 Boardwalk Villas<br />~Dec 03 Polynesian<br />~Jan 04 OKW/Boardwalk Villas<br />~Mar 04 Animal Kindom Lodge<br />~May 04 Boardwalk Villas<br />~Sep 04 Boardwalk Villas<br />~Dec 04 Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

On my first trip years ago, I can remember booking a package through Delta Vacations. I then quickly realized I could save a bundle by booking everything myself (plus I have more fun doing it!). I thought I was a pro at all the techniques until I found Intercot! I sure have learned alot since then.

I also agree with what others are saying - planning is key. However, you also need to be flexible. If something just isn't going right or the kids are getting tired - stop. Go back to the resort, take a nap or a swim and recharge yourself. There have been days when my kids prefer to stay at the resort and swim, arcade, boat rides, etc. and that is fine with me. I've always believed that families should go at the pace of their children...because when they are happy, you are happy! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Proud mom to Monorail_Red and goofhook and DD Jenn!
    Proud member of the magical Disney Parks Moms Panel family.

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: