Quantcast Why do so many people recommend the Unofficial Guide? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by the mudgie:
    We had thought about getting the UG, jsut for the information on lines and such. Roughly, what is the cost of this book? Thanks.
    Through the Intercot store they run less than $12, and appropriate additional purchases can earn free shipping too.
    Rhonda

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess i should have read everything before responding....
    Originally posted by DisneyDudet:
    I haven't tried Passporter and don't know where to look for it, can someone help w/ that?
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
    Just add a dot com to the name and you'll find some info on it.
    All in all, I would say that you will probably be able to find the same opinions here on Intercot that you have read in UG, but you don't stop coming here do you?

șoș DisneyDudet [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I love intercot for that exact reason but everyone who posts here seems very articulate without being sarcastic. Thats why i love this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note about the UG. I recently purchased it as I always do a TON of research before a trip. I happened to find it VERY useful. I'm looking to get ALL the info on Disney that I can, and from there I can be the judge. As far as the stroller comment, that's not mentioned in Birnbaum's guide and having two young children, it's a point taken for me. It might not happen to me, but at least I am aware that it has happened and will take precautions to prevent it. I think, as with any information, not all opinions or suggestions will work for you. But I like hearing other people's experiences b/c they are "real". Believe it or not, as much as you would like to believe it, Disney is not perfect. I've used the Birnbaum's guide and although useful from the Disney view, I also like to hear other views both good and bad. I feel it makes me more informed. I will agree that some of the information is outdated, but so be it. Sometimes you can't help that. That's when you can turn to the internet for your info. As far as the Passporter, it was in my local Barnes and Nobles for about $25 and although looked informative, had a lot of writing/memory sections which although can be useful, wasn't what I was looking for. I guess all I'm trying to say, is everyone processes info differently, if the UG isn't for you, then stop reading it since it's upsetting you. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time at WDW. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

I hated this book. I thought everything the writer/editor said was negative. The only restaurants that got a good rating from him were ones I couldn't afford and wouldn't take a 1 year old to. I agree, this book is highly overrated.
    Moving to Orlando! Yippy!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by CousinLouie:
    Since that time, we have relied on the Unofficial Guide every trip. While certainly pragmatic (I would not necessarily extend the tone to "negative"), I can tell you that it is an invaluable tool to planning a Disney Vacation, especially in the parks. I'll wager you this: one single day following the Touring Plans, and you'll be converted.

I do agree with you though on Passporter. This is an excellent tool as well, and is the Guide Book we carry with us everywhere in WDW. We use the UG to come up with an itinerary, and Passporter to do the detailed planning, and to stay organized while we're there. Sorry for the long-winded response, but I'm a fanatic on planning properly for a Disney Vacation! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    I agree with you 100%. I always purchase the Unofficial Guide AND Passporter. They are invaluable tools to me. The UG is the best itinerary research tool that I found. For years I followed the book and had no issues with lines. Recently I was trying to mend my commando ways and wondered whether leisure touring was possible with the UG. I recently have been researching the touring software at touringplans.com recommended in unofficial guide. Also I found updates to the guide on this site as well. I am planning to try it on a plan where I don't go into the park on an EE or in the middle of the day etc. The Passporter is a totally different guide. I do think it is a very special guide and no one can beat Passpockets!! To me, it's like comparing apples to oranges. I think they are great companions to each other. I use them very much the same way CousinLouie does. I couldn't plan without the UG. It's direct and probably irreverant but that doesn't mean that they don't care about Disney - it's just a direct, in your face reality of the parks. It may be daunting but it's a good prep for someone who has never gone or ideas for others. I like that there is feedback from many people. I don't need to agree with the opinions but it's great to see another idea. I recently gave both guides to a friend who is going in July with his family. The information in both is invaluable to him.

Editor's note: removed the link per the INTERCOT terms of service

[ May 27, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Beast_fanatic ]

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

We bought the Unofficial Guide a couple of times and we didn't care for the negativity either and I found the book poorly updated from one year to the next.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar experience, twice actually, with family who scoffed at the expertise imparted by the UG who realized that short waits and planning were better than 'playing by ear' and standing in line all day. Last trip they kept saying "We'd do about 3 things all day if it wasn't for you (meaning the UG readers)."

I don't think any guide book is worth buying again for at least 3 years after the last edition-I know things change but do they really change that much? That's what Intercot is for-learning what's changed since last time!
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by MR.MIKE:
    ...If a book goes to press in mid 2002
    for an early fall shelf arrival
    then it shouldn't be called the 2003 edition...
    How about card that come out in the summer
    of 2003 and are called 2004 editions?

If someone wants to go in January of 2004,
    you could never convice them to buy a book
    dated 2003, but if someone goes in December 2003,
    they will gladly buy the 2004 edition.
    Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac<br />Cultural Representative CM '89-'90,<br />Le Cellier Restaurant<br />Canada Pavillion<br />World Showcase<br />Epcot Center

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac:

If someone wants to go in January of 2004,
    you could never convice them to buy a book
    dated 2003, but if someone goes in December 2003,
    they will gladly buy the 2004 edition. [/QB]
    I understand the reason why they list it as a 2003 edition. To make money by keeping it on the shelf longer. Magazines used to do the same thing with monthly issues.

Maybe they should write "2002/2003" on it.

To look at it another way.. it is the end of may....right now they are getting ready to print thier 2004 edition

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the touring plans take into
    account the Fast Pass system?

What I mean by that is, does it say;
    "Leave attraction X,
    ang go towards attraction Z,
    but don't forget to get a fast Pass
    for attraction Y on the way"
    Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac<br />Cultural Representative CM '89-'90,<br />Le Cellier Restaurant<br />Canada Pavillion<br />World Showcase<br />Epcot Center

Post Thanks / Like

The UG plans do include Fastpass for some attractions, but make the point that often hitting certain attractions at the right time can be faster than using fastpass. It comes across as sort of an alternative, or something to use if you get off-track.
    May 1995: All Star Sports
    March 2004: daytrip MK
    January 2006: Pop Century
    August 2008: Port Orleans Riverside w/ Mom

Post Thanks / Like

I happen to be a big fan of the UG books. I appreciate the fact that is isn't a big sugar coated advertisement for WDW. It gives a pretty fair picture of WDW, warts and all. I also think it has a lot of tongue in cheek sarcasm, but I find that funny. Before I discovered Intercot, I relied a lot more on my guide books. I would read and re-read them to help pass time between trips. It would give me a little Disney fix when I needed it. Now I use Intercot for that and the guidebooks are less important to me. But I still think they are a valueable tool for beginners. It helps so much to have a little familiarity and some plans before you get in the parks. It is so overwhelming the first visit. I would still highly recommend the UG to anyone looking for info in a guidebook form. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

See, I just bought the small version of the UG. I too thought the plans they have for doing the parks seemed like "over-planning".

But if you guys are saying it really works, then I guess I will have to try it. I'm kind of controlling , but I guess I will have to let go.

You guys that have used it swear by it eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Impostor:
    See, I just bought the small version of the UG. I too thought the plans they have for doing the parks seemed like "over-planning".

But if you guys are saying it really works, then I guess I will have to try it. I'm kind of controlling , but I guess I will have to let go.

You guys that have used it swear by it eh?
    Yes. I would "swear by it". On our first visit to WDW I also feared it was overplanning but my DW insisted we give it a try. For the first hour or so I was kind of a turd about it and fought her plan. However, it became apparent rather quickly that the plan was working very well. I changed my "you can't plan a vacation" thinking and followed along willingly after that.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Some complain about the amount of walking involved in the plans. I find that standing in line hurts my feet more than walking, so I follow the plans.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Share This Thread On Social Media: