Quantcast Disney for One Traveler??!!!! Help!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Hey Everyone! I had my disney trip all planned with 2 friends for this December at the AKL. Well both of them unexpectedly cancelled!!! I bought my plane ticket, passes, (and Mickeys X-Mas party tickets for all of us) and paid for the hotel. Even though they are not coming, I don't want to cancel. I have been planning this for months!!!! I dont mind travelling alone. Has anyone ever went to Disney all by themselves? When I think about it, I know that I would probably enjoy myself more, because I can do whatever I want!!!LOL. What do I do about dining, etc. Any suggestions, comments, would be so appreciated!! Thanks. I only have less than 2 months to go...!!!
    Stephanie

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just think--now you're free to whatever your heart desires! If you want to ride Space Mountain 10 times, you can do so!

It may seem a little awkward, but from what I've read on the boards, many people do Disney alone. You could also check out Downtown Disney and the Pleaurse Island complex of nightclubs.

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    <b>Eddy</b> <br /><br /><i>"Remember the Magic"</i> <br /><br /><i><b>*Happy Holidays!*</b></i><br /><br /><b>Next up:</b><br /><i>All Star Sports</i>-<b>February 2003</b><br /><br /><b>12</b> weeks and counting!<br /><br /><b><i>"We Go On"</i></b>

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Eddy! Your words are words of encouragement! Now actually thinking about it, I can ride Splash Mountain 20 times.. LOL.. Thanks so much!!!
    Stephanie

Post Thanks / Like

I've never gone alone, but I can steer you in the direction of our Single Travelers page. --- [img]smile.gif[/img]

Disney World - A Single Traveler’s Perspective
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I enjoy Disney with my family, I love going solo.

It is a whole different world to explore when there is no one that is hungry, needs to rest, doesn't want to ride what everyone else does, is thirsty, is tired etc. I've actually spent an entire week on my own and was able to hit four parks in one day.

Don't be afraid to make PS and dine alone at any restaurant. I've dined at Flying Fish, Alfredo's, Biergarten, Tony's as well as a number of others. The CM's are great. Have met some wonderful people while dining alone & park hopping alone.
    Cher (aka TheSorcererofFantasia)

If you live each day to it's fullest you will never have regrets . . . there is no rewind.

4/15/55 - 4/7/08 Til we meet again
    2/25/87 - 4/27/11 Always & forever in my heart & soul BKB!

Next DVC Trip:
    AKL Jambo Kilamanjaro 1 bedroom Unit Sept 10th - 24th

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love my wife, I am glad she only want to go with me every two years.

I hope she cuts back.

Alone is the best!!!
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes going to Disney all alone isn't all that bad. I do it all the time, in fact.

You might also want to possibly see about getting together with some of the locals that post on here, or maybe even some of the Cast Members since it is our job to know everything there is to know about WDW, and then some

Just a couple of suggestions. Did you book in a Savanna room at DAKL? It is a very pretty resort and I think you made a great choice there.

If you have any questions, post them on here, and I'm sure that someone will have the answer......somewhere [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    WDW Resorts Front Desk Cast Member as of 3/14/2002<br /><br />Resorts I've stayed at:<br />Yacht Club - 1994<br />All Star Music - 2002<br /><br />Resorts I've worked at:<br />Coronado Springs (Statused Location)<br />Boardwalk<br />Contemporary<br />Grand Floridian<br />Fort Wilderness<br />Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge<br />Carribbean Beach<br />Port Orleans - Riverside<br />Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Yacht & Beach Club<br />(more to come)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Terry & everyone! Thank you for all of your replys. They are very helpful. Terry, I am staying at the AKL in a Savannah Room. The CM on the phone recommeded this to me and I went for it. I got a really good deal using the Intercot codes!!! I am going to try to meet up with people while I am down there...
    Stephanie

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know hen you'll be at WDW in December but would be happy to say Hi! When are you at MVMCP?

You can always find lots of people to chat with and I love to people watch which can be difficult in a party. Just as well my friend and I are very alike!
    Jane<br /><br />July 1983 Off site<br />Sept 2001 POR<br />Dec 2002 BC (Can't wait - friends 30th B-day vacation surprise planned!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!
    I go to WDW by myself and have a great time!!
    There are some people I'd like to share it with but due to work etc it hasn't been able to be done yet. In the meantime I go and do what I want when it fits into my budget and time frame.

One good thing about going with others is you can share the expense of room etc but I save a lot of money on rooms by using priceline. Of course this does not help with the real
    Disney hotels! I did splurge 1 night on my last trip and stayed at AKL. Since I have an annual pass I got a good discount but it still was pricey for me.
    Bell = hard working poor person who knows the value of a dollar!

I also will be at WDW in Dec on 7th, 8th 9th & 10th and am going to MVMCP on the 8th. This trip is my Christmas gift to myself.

I have found the restaraunts there comfortable for going to alone and the servers very pleasant. I plan on going to the CP also and have my reservation at La Meridian for the CP package.

If you have any questions at all just send me a message and I'd be happy to answer anything I can and if you'll be there the same time as me I'd be happy to get together at the park to share some of the magic with you [img]smile.gif[/img]

Each visit I learn something that makes the visit more enjoyable and what's important in the planning etc.
    "A mouse named Mortimer would be too pretentious" ~Mrs. Walt Disney~ <br /><br />Six Trips Down..... <br />Many More To GO!!!<br /><br />August 2002 Downtown Disney Hilton<br />*****<br />September 2002 Off Site (Tampa)<br />*****<br />October 2002 <br />MNSSHP<br />Off Site, Downtown Disney and finally, on-site Animal Kingdom Lodge! <br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />December 2002<br />MVMCP/CP<br />Off Site <br />Kissimmee<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />April 2003<br />Birthday Trip Off Site Kissimme<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />August-September 2003 <br />Off Site Kissimmee

Post Thanks / Like

I go alone frequently, as I get a lot of business trips to Florida, have an annual passport, and can't pass up a "free trip" to Disney World.

It's really not bad - you can do what you want to do when you want to do it. People always talk to me on the busses and on line. I do a lot of shopping while I'm there alone - something I can't do when I'm with my male friend.

I'll be down there on December 2-9 - if you want to send me a message, maybe we can get together.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done the solo trip more than once and on my trip last december, the person I was with wanted to spend more time at the hotel than the parks, so i spent a lot of park time alone. You definitely can do more alone, but it's a very different experience. This is a good time to try out one of the tours like Keys to the kingdom and the CM's are always really nice...also, there will be so many intercotees there during early december, I'm sure we'll get a meet together(I'm there dec 7-14).....I'll be with my mom on this trip but we'll definitely be into meeting up if you get a meet together.
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

I have done Disney Semi-Solo....My mother was attending a conference so I was alone from 7am to 7 or 8pm...I loved being on my own. I was able to see what I wanted and not worry about other people's schedules or plans. I really enjoyed taking my time and really seeing the parks....I also loved sitting on main street and people watching. I found that the meals were not a problem. I mostly ate at the counter service and I did not feel weird. As for the sit down, the staff makes you feel great and you will have a nice time....
    I would love to do Disney solo again...
    The only time I felt weird was when I wanted my picture taken...and I had to ask people...but most were very happy to do it for you!!

have fun!
    Jenni b
    "if you can shape it in your mind, you can find it in your life."
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I attend a conference in WDW nearly every October and often find myself alone to do the parks. Now, I am in general a VERY shy person, but I have a wonderful time going solo there! I don't know what it is about the place, but it seems to make me less introverted. I find myself striking up conversations that I normally would never do. If you take the buses..sit up front and talk to the driver while waiting to leave a stop. They are full of great info. Same thing with all the CMs. I would recommend Epcot for going solo. If I were going tomorrow by myself, I would go to the Rose and Crown pub, get a "Black and Tan" and sit outside to people watch. If you are lucky, the British Invasion will be playing and you will think you are in Liverpool! Savoring the details is what is possible when alone. Another perk.... you often get to skip ahead of people in line for attractions when the CMs are looking for that single rider to fill out a car!! Go for it and have a wonderful time. You just might learn something new about yourself!
    10/95 Beach Club<br />10/98 Coronado Springs<br />10/99 Coronado Springs (20th Anniversary!)<br />10/2000 Coronado Springs<br />10/2002 Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't until I joined these boards did I ever consider Walt Disney World a place for a solo traveler. I know better now. As you can see, you can have a fantastic time taking the trip all by yourself. You're free to really do what you want, when you want. Strike up as many conversations as you can. You never know who you might meet. Have a great time! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I have been down to WDW solo many times... Look at it this way, you can basically do whatever you want. It is a lot of fun. I had a ball. Disney Cast Members make everything special. You can also tend to get one rides quicker if there is only a few spots left. Dont worry at all Disney World you are never alone, you are with an extended family.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about going solo! Keep your head up and have a blast.

I have been to WDW, DL and even Disneyland Paris numerous times by myself and have never experienced a problem. I have enjoyed meals at the sit down restaurants and attended the dinner shows. And I even consider myself shy! LOL

Yes, it's true that there will be times you will wish you had a friend with you (like when I tried to find my way on the Metro to DP and I don't speak any French! LOL) but your positive experiences will far outweigh any negatives.

And trust me on this...you will be the envy of all your friends and family when you return. They will all be so jealous!

I will be making a solo trip in Dec (9-15) and am totally psyched. This trip I will be going on the Sunrise Safari through AKL concierge, CP dinner package on Wednesday (Le Cellier...yummy!!), Magic Behind the Steam Trains tour on Thursday, the Xmas party Thursday night, and the Yuletide Fantasy tour on Friday. I'll also be attending the Doll and Teddy Bear show at Epcot (Fri-Sun).

I don't expect my family and friends to give up their hard earned vacation time and money to humor me and share my interests in Disney "behind the scenes" stuff. I have wanted to take the Steam Train and Yuletide Fantasy tours for years, and this year since I will be going solo I am finally doing it!

Looks like there will be quite a few solo Intercotees at the World in early December!

Have a great trip!!!
    Deb M in PA

Post Thanks / Like

For the first time ever, I was at WDW alone last month...for one day. It was an unplanned business trip that left me with a free Sunday and me staying at a DD resort. It was kinda weird for me at first because I'd never been alone before. But, with a Seasonal Pass, I realized that I could go where I wanted and see what I wanted and eat where I wanted without having to discuss with someone else.

IT WAS GREAT! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

In my lifetime, I've been to WDW more times than I can count...and so I hit just the things I wanted to see.

I breezed through the Magic Kingdom (rode the TTA twice in a row, hit the HoP among other attractions), hit the highlights at Epcot (breezed through TT as a single rider [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] and other things), and finally enjoyed a couple of faves at the Studios and AK.

In the end, I couldn't believe how much I saw and did in one day all alone. I even ate at Cosmic Ray's, which I seldom get to do, but I timed it just right.

You'll have a great time. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Enjoy! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Last trip: May 26-28, 2006
    DVC Members since 2001
    "When you imagine, time becomes timeless..."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your input and help!!! My situation has changed a little since my last post. My sister who is 23(i'm 25) has decided to come along with me! Silly me didnt think to ask her and it turns out she is very very happy and excited to go.. After all of these good comments, however, now I do kinda want to go alone!! LOL... I am going to plan a solo trip in May!! I will at Mickey's X-Mas party on Tues December 10th. I was staying at the AKL but are looking at others as well!!!
    Stephanie

Post Thanks / Like

That's terrific! I hope you both enjoy your trip.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: