Quantcast What's your pick for 'small' things to do?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Well, it's official. We're going to stay for seven days. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] It's so exciting. It will be the longest trip we've managed so far. (Thank goodness hubby is in Natl. Guard and we can stay in the world for such a reasonable price)

My question is: What would you do if you couldn't afford to do the major parks for every day of your trip? [img]graemlins/mixed.gif[/img] It doesn't have to be completely free, but just cheaper than fifty bucks a person. We're traveling with an 8 year old and two year old twins and we're thinking one or two 'down' days might not be such a bad idea even if we had more money to spend!

Thanks for any tips,
    Barbara
    Gotta crawl, gotta crawl, gotta crawl to the ugly bug ball<br /><br /><br />Fort Wilderness(tent for two days/cabin for the rest:)) September 1998<br /><br />Shades of Green 1999<br /><br />All Star Movies 2001<br /><br />Contemporary Resort January 2003<br /><br />Upcoming Contemporary Resort in September!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's warm when you go, the water parks are always a fun thing. Also, just going swimming is fun.

You can wander around Fort Wilderness and see the petting zoo. I think you can even rent bikes to ride on the trails there.
    "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

1. Put the swimming suits on the kids and take them to Downtown Disney to play in the fountain.

2. Go to the outlet mall and have lunch at Sweet Tomatoes.

3. Spend a day at the pool.

4. Go explore other resorts.

5. RELAX

Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 miniature golf courses at WDW, Fantasia Gardens near the Boardwalk and Swan&Dolphin and Winter Summerland near Blizzard Beach. We have played at Fantasia Gardens twice and had a great time. Each hole has a musical poem to read that gives you a hint on how to play the hole. There is also a pro course for those that don't find the regular one challenging enough[we tried it and it was REALLY hard]. The price is about $9-10 for adults and $7-8 for kids with 50% off on a second round played the same day. We plan on trying the Winter Summerland course on a future trip. This might be good for the 8yo but I'm not sure about the 2yo twins

A previous post suggested the fountains at Downtown Disney, here's a drier alternative, the Legoland Store has a cute playground area that was recently redone, my daughter loves it there and as long as you're at Downtown Disney try Ghirardelli's Soda Fountain-YUMMY!!!!!

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Have a Magical time!!!!! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    "It's going to be Walt Disney World, so people will always know that this was Walt's dream." - Roy Disney

Off-Site 5x
    ASMu 2x
    AlSMo 1x
    PC 3x
    POR 3x
    POFQ 2x
    CBR 2x
    CSR 1x
    WL 4x
    AKL 3x
    Y&BC 2x
    BWI 3x
    Polynesian 1x
    GF 2x

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Be sure to see the Electric Water Pageant. It plays every night and it's FREE! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I like the idea of just relaxing at your resort. Enjoy the pool and/or water activities that they offer. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Back in 2000 we stayed for 8 days and for relaxtion we stayed by the pool and had a GREAT time...
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    1990 - CBR
    1998 - Disney Institute
    2000 - All Star Movies
    2003 - Land and Sea - CBR
    2004 - CBR
    2006 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2012 - Art of Animation-Nemo
    2013 - Art of Animation- Lion King
    2014 - Star Wars Weekends - Pop Century
    2015 - Aulani
    2016 - POFQ
    2017 - POFQ Again

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

When we took our 19-month old to WDW in 2001, we found that starting our days with leisurely breakfasts at various resorts, then seeking out each resort's playground offered our little one the chance to blow off some steam before spending lots of time in the stroller the rest of the day. While one of us watched our son, the other had a chance to check out the lobby, gift shop, etc. Those nice, relaxed mornings offered us a lot of exploration time at the resorts and Fort Wilderness--which is a great place to hang out as mentioned in an above post.
    "Oh <b>man</b>, this is really livin'!"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the Electrical Water Pagent is a must!

Mini-golf ( WinterSummerland and Fantasia Gardens is also a cheaper (compared to other activities) alternative.

Definately relax at your hotels pool for half a day. Dinner Shows are just over $50 a person, but provide a great evening of entertainment!

You can also check out the recreation activities, through the link to Info Central. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <b>Eddy</b> <br /><br /><i>"Remember the Magic"</i> <br /><br /><i><b>*Happy Holidays!*</b></i><br /><br /><b>Next up:</b><br /><i>All Star Sports</i>-<b>February 2003</b><br /><br /><b>12</b> weeks and counting!<br /><br /><b><i>"We Go On"</i></b>

Post Thanks / Like

Things we do that won't cost anything:

Ride the monorail to Epcot and back to MK

Explore the resorts

Walk on the boardwalk

Go to outlet malls

Go to downtown Disney

Watch the Electrical Water Parade from the beach at the Poly around 9pm

Watch the fireworks from MK at the beach at the Poly
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

My DD gets her hair wrapped each year we go to WDW. Some of the parks and resorts have stations set up for hair wrapping. One year she had it done at DD. Depending on the length of hair, it costs approximately $20.

This may be an option for you (if you have girls, I've never seen a boy who had this done).
    Nov. '98, DxL
    Nov. '00 DxL
    Nov. '01, ASMo
    Nov. '02, WL
    Dec. '03 PO-R
    Sept. '04, SSR; Nov. '04, OKW
    Aug. '05, SSR; Nov. '05, SSR
    Aug. 06, SSR; Nov. '06, OKW
    June '07, VWL; Nov. '07, SSR
    Aug. '08, AKV; Oct. '08, SSR
    June '09, OKW & AKV; Oct. '09 SSR
    Aug '10, SSR & AKV

Post Thanks / Like

GO FISHING...You can rent poles or even go on a fishing trip (boat, snacks, guide). I want to go fishing around the Disney lakes on our next trip.
    [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    Dec- 93 Dixie Landings, 94&98- off site, Feb 00- AS Sports, March 03- off site, Feb 04- POP, June 04- POFQ, Feb 05- Wyndham Palace (married), CB, & DCL. Sept 05- POP, Feb 06- CS, Sept 06- SSR & BWV. Feb 07- BWV, Sept 07- BCV, Sept 08-VWL, Jan 09- BWV, Aug 09- AKL. Aug 10- AKL
    DVC MEMBER

Clermont, Florida...ten minutes from Disney :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Eat beignets at Port Orleans and go see the geyser at the Wilderness Lodge. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ~Mary Burk~<br /><br />Living the dream as an entertainment CM :)<br /><br />Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Katzateer...
    - enjoy a monorail ride from Epcot to MK
    - explore the resorts
    - try Disneyquest and the other sites at Downtown Disney
    - I haven't been there yet, but my parents said that there is so much to do at Fort Wilderness, you spend a vacation enjoying the campground.
    - Take a drive to International Drive, park the car and window shop. There are also some low cost attractions on I-Drive.
    - Old Town on 192 a few miles from WDW is neat to see also.
    "Behold, the Great Millenium Walk..." TTFN - Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Gatorland
    Kennedy Space Center
    Gulf beaches
    Fantasy of Flight
    Mideval Times
    Green Meadows Petting Farm
    Flying Tigers Warbird Museum
    Downtown Disney
    Ripley's Believe It or Not
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

UgleeBug- Exploring the resorts and their playgrounds would be lots of fun. Dine at their food courts. As already mentioned, go to Downtown. Then take the boat to POR to see the the Piano Man. He does an early evening show for kids thats lots of fun. Also, see the sights at Boardwalk. And every resort has a video arcade too.
    '77- Offsite - '98,'99, '00, '01 - Dixie Landings; '01 - CS, Poly Cons, POR; '02 - WLV & WL; '03, '04, '05 - POR / Poly Cons.; 11-'05 AKL & Poly Cons.; '06 BCV & Poly Cons.; '07 POR & Poly Cons.; '08 SSV; '10 BWV & AKV; '12 BWV & AKV; '14 BWV & AKV; '15 BCV, BLV, BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

After reading the previous posts, I'm surprised that no one mentioned searching for hidden Mickey's at your resort. It's a lot of fun with the younger kids (and adults too).

Be sure to ask Guest Services at your resort for their hidden mickey's clues and then spend your down time looking. When we were at AKL in May, my 8 yo daughter and I spent several nights trying to track them down. Then when you think you've located them all (or most of them anyway) take it back to guest services. The GS CM will go back in the back office to check them and will return with a certificate signed by the mouse himself
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

You guys are great! [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img] So many wonderful ideas. Oh gosh, I just can't wait to get there to try them out.

[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Thank you [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Thank you
    Barbara
    Gotta crawl, gotta crawl, gotta crawl to the ugly bug ball<br /><br /><br />Fort Wilderness(tent for two days/cabin for the rest:)) September 1998<br /><br />Shades of Green 1999<br /><br />All Star Movies 2001<br /><br />Contemporary Resort January 2003<br /><br />Upcoming Contemporary Resort in September!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: