Quantcast Learn a Lesson From Tickets on eBay...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked turnstiles today for the first time in about five months...LOL

Family of about ten comes up to my turnstile. First kid goes to put their ticket in; it comes up "Voided - no more usage". First parent behind the kid, same thing. I ask for all of their tickets and try a few more. Every one of the tickets - voided, no more usage.

I collect all of the tickets and ask the adults where they got their tickets.

"We bought 'em off of eBay...we paid over 800 bucks for 'em. They're five-day Park Hoppers." Not a bad deal; 80 bucks a piece (avg) for ten 5-days, considering they're well over 200 bucks each for adult tickets. I give the tickets to Ray, our coordinator. He takes them inside and runs them through the ticket reader.

Sure enough, NONE of the ten tickets are any good. "But the seller had good feedback and said they were still good!!"

Unfortunately, this family is now out 800 bucks, stuck with their seven-night hotel reservation, the flight down and back from Indiana, and no way to get into the parks. When people sell tickets on auction sites like eBay, I would recommend staying away from them. There is NO WAY of knowing just from looking at the tickets if they are any good; they have to be run through a reader at any ticket or Guest Relations window. This is something that we cannot control on the Internet.

I'm always telling people to stay away from buying tickets from other third-party sellers (like on eBay), or from ANY of the so-called "Ticket Info" stands along the International Drive or US 192 corridors - you know, the ones that say "2 Disney tickets for $25.00".

I'm not sure what the family is going to do, or if we'll take care of them. We did send them down to Guest Relations outside the park there (down by the bus stops). I hate to see families, especially a large family like that that's probably been planning for a year or more, get duped with things like that.

Just please - PLEASE - promise me y'all won't buy your park tickets off of eBay.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this story with us, Jim, despite how unofortunate it is.

This is solid proof that you can never tell with third-party ticket vendors. : [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
    Eddy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the warning, Jim.

This is a good time to reinforce why INTERCOT does not promote nor encourage "cheating the system". Disney theme park tickets are NOT transferrable and buying them online or from any source other than Disney (or a travel agent or other legitimate,authorized seller) is a violation of Disney's policies.

We don't prevent people from discussing things like ticket reselling and other cheats because we're old fogies ... we do it because too often it results in situations just like the one Jim describes here. INTERCOT exists to help our members ... not strand them at the gates with expired tickets.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just feel so bad for the kids! Hopefully, they'll be able to have some recourse with E-bay. The seller should at least be banned from putting anymore items, most especially Disney tickets up for sale on E-bay!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks. This is a *very* good reminder why you don't buy tickets from somewheres whare you can't *tell* what's left on the tickets.

And, Ian is correct. If the tickets *had* been good and it asked me to "Check ID" on the tickets, and it didn't match, then...again, we'd have to turn them away.

On eBay, with things like this with tickets, just because the seller has "good feedback" doesn't necessarily mean that the tickets themselves are any good.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Awww... I can't help feeling sorry for that family especially their kids!!

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    ºoº25+ Visits!!ºoº
    WDW Passholder: 4 Years
    VMK Alias: wdwMarly

Please stand clear of the doors.
    Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas
    -The Monorail<

WE WANTS THE RED HEAD!!!
    -Pirates of the Caribbean

Disappear disappear! Back! Back! Over the falls!
    -Maelstrom (EPCOT)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the story Jim! I would never buy Disney tickets from anywhere but Disney or a travel agent. It’s just not worth the risk. Disney vacations can be expensive, but the one thing you should never skimp on is admission media. It’s just a recipe for disaster! Also, as mentioned above, the tickets are not transferable – so it’s breaking the rules anyway.
    Michael ºoº

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad for them also. I hope E-Bay will do something. It is such a huge risk. A very valuable lesson learned!
    June 1987 - May 2017
    Upcoming visits - Solo trip November 2017 and daughter's sweet 16 in February 2018 º0º

TiggerRPh Guest

Arrow

Thanks Jim for sharing that.

It's truly sad that this happened.

[img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

[ October 20, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: TiggerRPh ]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your point of not cheating the system.
    However, you can check to see if the tickets have any good days left on them. DW and I checked our tickets from last year to see if we had any days left by emailing disney and giving them the number on the card. Unfortunately for us the days were all used.

[ October 20, 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: disneyjoe ]
    Upcoming Trip:
    Jan 09 CSR Christmas Day Surprise
    Previous:
    Jan 08 CBR
    July 06 CBR
    Jan. 05 CBR
    Feb. 04 POR
    Jan. 01 CBR
    Jan. 00 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

As many things as I've bought on e-bay, WDW tickets would never be among them. I hope that family reports the incident to the e-bay folks. I know they do not like scams--it gives them a bad reputation. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the family paid a little extra for the e-bay buyer protection program when they purchased the tickets.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by disneyjoe:
    I agree with your point of not cheating the system.
    However, you can check to see if the tickets have any good days left on them. DW and I checked our tickets from last year to see if we had any days left by emailing disney and giving them the number on the card. Unfortunately for us the days were all used.
    Not trying to say you are wrong, becuase I dont know for sure because I do not work there.. BUT i have been told a few times by Disney employees that there is no way to tell with the numbers on the back. But Im not for sure Just what I have been told and heard (Jim even said you cannot tell.)
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
    Walt Disney

Who's keeping count anyways?!? We all just love the place.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is a sad story! I can not imagine trying to explain that to my kids when we got to the turnstile. I hope the adults had it in their budget to get new tickets. I am a big believer of "if it sounds like it is too good to be true, then it probably isn't true" Why would anyone sell legitimate tickets that cheap? That family was cheated, but they sure weren't using their brains about the tickets.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Chip Carlton:
    Not trying to say you are wrong, becuase I dont know for sure because I do not work there.. BUT i have been told a few times by Disney employees that there is no way to tell with the numbers on the back. But Im not for sure Just what I have been told and heard (Jim even said you cannot tell.)
    It may depend on the cast member you're talking to; not all cast members may have access to the system to look it up by the number. However, if you lose your ticket or it's stolen, you need the number to help you with a replacement (which is why you should record your ticket information and have it with you separate from your tickets). The number on the ticket is probably encoded in the magstripe or is linked to it in some way. As far as what Jim said about not being able to tell, I think what he means is that you or I have no way of knowing how many days are on a ticket just by looking at it. The only way to know is to have it confirmed by Disney.

I thought I had read in another post that Disney was only verifying the days on tickets at guest relations at WDW, so you may no longer be able to email a request.

Buy your tickets from Disney. Then, you don't have to worry about whether or not the tickets have any days remaining. And, if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and you shouldn't take it.

[ October 21, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: brownie ]
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Brownie makes a great point. You should ALWAYS keep your ticket reciepts and credit card slips until you use up all of the days. Keep them seperate from your tickets, in somewhere like the safe. These reciepts have the same numbers on them as the tickets themselves and your admissions can be researched using these numbers.

When the numbers on the tickets or reciepts are plugged into the computer at Guest Relations all of your admission information is revealed including park date and time.

If you have your reciept and lose your tickets (or they are stolen) you have some recourse because they can research the tickets. They are much more secure for the guests that way. Plus, Disney gets to know how many days are being used more accurately than the paper tickets.
    Former Cast Member
    Mom of a pooh nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Another good point. When I purchased my AP vouchers, I got 2 receipts. The CM told me to keep the other one someplace safe and NOT with my receipt or APs so if they get lost or stolen, they can issue new ones.
    Uh oh...here comes trouble.<br /><br />"Over and over, the crow cries uncover the cornfield."

Post Thanks / Like

I may be seen as hard-hearted here, but DOH! [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

How stupid was that?? Why should eBay or Disney have to make up for a person's mistake?

I do feel sorry for the kids. It must be doubly painful for the parents to see that not only did their kids not get into the parks, but that they had to see the results of this HUGE adult mistake in such a public way.

There are natural consequences for every decision we make in life. This is going to be a hard one to take.

Post Thanks / Like

I've purchased many things from E Bay,including Disney related items such as prints,pins and figurines,but I steer clear of any type of tickets offered for all of the reasons listed by previous posters [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] One thing that always amazed me as I looked at the WDW passes up for bid though,was how MUCH they were going for! Most were more than if you bought them at the Disney store or WDW and people were bidding like crazy [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] I do feel sorry for the kids in that family and what a painful lesson to learn on the day you think you're finally going to meet the Mouse.Very sad
    MousePassion<br /><br />"A dream is a wish the heart makes"<br /><br /><br />Veteran of at least 24 trips to WDW;trips during 2003: January @POR and AKL,concierge and<br />October 6-10 2003@Old Key West<br />Now we're nextdoor neighbors to the Mouse himself~!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Disney-4-Me:
    Why should eBay or Disney have to make up for a person's mistake?
    Disney wants people to have a great experience when they come to Disney World; there's an incentive for them to do something to help the family out. Plus, if the people can't get into the park, they can't spend money on souveniers or food.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim,

What a shame. I feel so bad for the kids. Just goes to show that better safe then sorry works here.

If something sounds to good to be true then it usually is.

Seth
    WDW at least 13 Times Since 1972!
    DLR to many times to count (used to go every weekend when I lived in CA)Next scheduled trips:August 2006-WDW
    October of 2005-DLR for the 50th!

Gwarsh

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: