Quantcast First Food/Dining Memories....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Food/Dining Memories....

Some may have to think back a ways (like me!) but what are your first/favorite food memories from that first trip to the World. For me, June '77, 10-years old....three food memories stand out.

Mickey's breakfast buffet at the Contemporary - 10 years old, food choices galore, characters roaming the tables - the best for a kid

Hoop Dee Do Revue - I remember tasty fried chicken and corn on the cob, actually watching a show while eating, and we got absolutely drenched leaving the place

Top of the World - for some reason I remember the bacon at the breakfast buffet as being crazy good, and dinner AGAIN with entertainment AND viewing the fireworks....
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, one of my first dining experiences was a place where they used to have Captain Hook. I was and still kind of am terrified of Captain Hook It was a buffet restaurant, which I think is either 1900 Park Fare or Akershus. I hid under the table and he stomped his foot, and I began crying. I was probably 3 or 4 haha.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

My first visit was in 1987 when I was a young mother. My favorite memories involve character meals we went to-remember Melvin the Moose ("Wake Up You Silly Moose" at the top of your lungs and the kazoos. both at breakfast time. Good times!)? And the Minnie's Mennehuene character meal. We also remember how the kids loved the newly opened "South Seas Dinner Theater", for kids, at the Polynesian, while Mom and Dad dined at whatever Ohana's was called then. And I'll never forget our very first meal-at Liberty Tree Tavern in MK. We lived near Boston at that time, and to me, it seemed like a Boston restaurant. So I sat there, thinking "I came all the way here and spent all this money for something I could do at home?"

Post Thanks / Like

My first visit was in 2003 and MGM was the first park we visited. I remember we ate at ABC Commissary and it was horrible, we ended up throwing the food away. We still haven't been back there. On the same trip we ate at Crystal Palace and Alfredo's. Alfredo's stands out in my mind it was so good and everything was so authentic./

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

In 1999, my wife and I took our first trip to Walt Disney World. It was part of a time-sharing "scheme," so we stayed off property and we're only at Walt Disney World for three days. We were newbies. We had no ADRs and so none of our dining experiences stand out, except possibly Pecos Bill's. Still, it was enough to know we were going to be WDW addicts. The next spring, I planned a long trip to Disney World and we stayed on property (Coronado Springs.) Our first meal was at the Rainforest Café at Animal Kingdom That still stands out for me as a highlight. I was so excited to be staying on property at Disney for nine days. The whole trip was just beginning. Our eyes were so wide inside the cafe, taking it all in. For many ensuing trips, our vacation starts there. It feels like it was yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    My first visit was in 2003 and MGM was the first park we visited. I remember we ate at ABC Commissary and it was horrible, we ended up throwing the food away. We still haven't been back there. On the same trip we ate at Crystal Palace and Alfredo's. Alfredo's stands out in my mind it was so good and everything was so authentic./
    Speaking of horrible food reminds me-the only time we threw away food was on our first visit and now don't remember the name of the restaurant. It was in Epcot Future World, sort of where Inventions is, if I remember right. A fast food place with lots of Italian Food, what we threw away was pizza. Anyone remember the name? Fortunately it no longer exists.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember getting a ham and cheese sandwich wrapped in wax paper from Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer Island. That was our first trip when my daughter was just two. That would have been 22 years ago. WOW! Time flies

Post Thanks / Like

First trip was 1990 and remember eating at Chef Mickey's. It was on the waterfront in Downtown Disney and was not a buffet restaurant. I remember my wife getting a pork chop that was dripping blood. The waiter tried to convince us that was the new best way to eat pork...
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Our first dining experience at Disney World was lunch at Le Cellier in Epcot.
    My first Disney dining experience was at Disneyland the first year it opened. We ate at the Chicken of the Sea restaurant which was in a pirate ship and you were joined by Captain Hook. Quite exciting, nothing else remotely like it at the time. Wish we could post pictures here, I have ones that even include construction of Frontierland in the background. This was before Disney started putting up cute walls with cute sayings - interesting.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

First trip, 1981, age 12. I remember dining at the Empress Lilly riverboat (later became Fulton's) and how beautiful quiet little Buena Vista Village (later became Downtown Disney/Disney Springs) was all alight with fairy lights in the trees. Top of the World, for a broadway review dinner show that featured some stars from the Laurence Welk Show at the time (impressing my grandmother to no end). And my favorite, the buffet at the Polynesian (Papeete Bay Verandah?) with Pink Leilanis (a non alcoholic strawberry punch).

In park (which was only the MK at the time), I loved the Crystal Palace and King Stefan's Banquet Hall (Cinderella Castle, now Cinderella's Royal Table). My family did not believe in counter service/quick dining, so we had three full table service meals a day (which seems so excessive now).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip was a family reunion in 2005. I had read about O'hana's here on Intercot and booked it for our first night. Everyone was exhausted, and we wound up waiting an hour past our ADR time to get seated. It wasn't anyone's favorite meal of the trip, but we did thoroughly enjoy the caramel and pineapple along with the view of the castle.

Everyone's favorite meal of the trip wound up being breakfast at Crystal Palace. I only booked it in order to get into the park early for pictures on an empty Main St, because no one in the family is a Winnie the Pooh fan. It became a must do for every trip.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Going way back, I have very fond memories of staying at The Golf Resort (now SOG), and a few really great meals at their restaurant - The Trophy Room. Outstanding seafood options at the time, but that's been gone a long time!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SBETigg;2493597]First trip, 1981, age 12. I remember dining at the Empress Lilly riverboat (later became Fulton's) and how beautiful quiet little Buena Vista Village (later became Downtown Disney/Disney Springs) was all alight with fairy lights in the trees.

Me too! We ate on the Empress Lilly for a character breakfast in 1983. That is the first one I remember.

I also vaguely remember eating at a picnic table and watching an armadillo go by at Fort Wilderness and watching my parents freak out. "Mom it's just a 'possidilly!" I was 4 so this must have been 1975...
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

In all the times we hvae gone when i was a child, usually we would eat outside the park. The first time i went as an adult we had the free dining plan and our first dinner was at The Contempory Steak House. It was awesome, I remember we were just looking around like "this is free"?
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I have somewhat similar memories to RavsRuleDisney! Our first night was spent at the Hoop Dee Do Revue...a very fitting intro to WDW. I also recall two other meals, breakfast at Top of the World and a missed dinner at The Empress Lilly. I don't recall if it was a buffet at Top of the World, but I do recall being able to see Spaceship Earth out in the distance under construction. As for Empress Lilly we had reservations but in looking at the menu when we got there some of the kids didn't want to go. So my parent's kept their reservation and my older sister must have gotten us something else at what was then the Disney Village. I don't recall what the food offerings were there onsite back then, but I guess all things considered it was a nice way for my parents to get some time away from the kids.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: