Quantcast Scheduling after the Marathon

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Scheduling after the Marathon

How busy is it the week after the Marathon? I am thinking of going down Jan 9-13 but wanted to know what the crowds would be like. Also any clue what the weather is like the beginning of January?

Thanks,
    Cathy

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We're going Jan 12-16. I just did my ADRs this morning, and judging by what's available, it's not going to be very crowded. I had no problems getting CRT, BOG or Chef Mickey's.

Weather in January is always hard to predict. We've been there when it's been in the 40s, and we've had 80-degree weather. The best advice is to prepare to layer clothing to prepare for any type of weather. It will be chilly in the morning, but could get hot by afternoon. January is by far my favorite time of year to go!
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

January has become much more crowded in recent years due to the marathon, cheerleading and dance team competitions and, most notably, South American tour groups. However, indications are that the tour groups are down significantly so that might make January better than it has been.

As for weather, Florida winter weather is 100% impossible to predict more than 5-7 days out. Check the weather thread then. As noted above it can be cold (I've had it 33 and snow flurries at noon on Main St in Jan, though that is an admitted aberration) or in the 80s.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I would expect the week after the marathon to be a slightly quieter time, especially after coming through Christmas, New Year's, and the marathon periods. As mentioned above, Central Florida weather is unpredictable, but especially in January! We've been on trips around that time where we've done some swimming - and some trips where we've built up on Disney souvenirs - like gloves and hats and blankets!

Post Thanks / Like

I went this past January---Jan 4th-12th and the crowds were not bad at all! The only time you will have to worry about is the beginning of the race and the end of the race. Make sure you find out where and when both occur; the start of the race shouldn't interfere with your plans or cause traffic since they begin at 4am.....but the end of the race be sure to check which park it will be. My family failed to research this, and ended up at the finish line in EPCOT. The only interference was when guests were trying to cross inoventions---the race goes right through it, and also around world showcase (but you could walk around them). I would just steer clear of the finish line area and you'll be fine. We found that even after the race, the runners and their families didn't add on much volume to the wait times since early January is naturally a quiet time anyway. A day or two after the race, it will be a ghost town.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

We've gone for Marathon weekend and usually stay a couple days afterwards. Crowds drop off very quickly. My husband was very surprised at the number of people at the start of the Marathon who had plans to return home that day. Several people had DME buses to catch that afternoon. I thought the weather was great-mid 70s. Maybe not warm enough to swim, but it depends on where you live. Some people swim in that weather, some of us wait until the mid-80s. On the first couple days you're there, expect to see some people walking around wearing their medals from the Marathon. I always thought that's pretty fun!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: