Quantcast Is the service REALLY declining? Where's the proof? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Is the new system perfect? No. It needs some tweaks. I would like to be able to get more Fastpasses without going to a kiosk in the park and maybe make some Fastpasses for two parks at one time. And be less limited in my choices. Was the old system perfect? No. Standing in lines to put everyone's ticket into the FP machine and hope they all came out okay.
    I agree...the system is not perfect, but I don't dislike it quite as much as I anticipated disliking it before our first trip with the new system.

Just wanted to note that this past trip in April, we discovered that some changes had been made. We were able to book our additional FP+ from my phone when we were in the parks. Which was nice some evenings when we were able to make a FP+ for something for 20-30 minutes later, go get a ride in and then go back for our FP+. We also discovered that as long as we used our initial 3 FP+ reservations in whatever park we started our day at, we were able to make our additional ones (still one at a time) in whatever park we ended up in that evening.

The official line on the Disney site now is : "Use the First 3, Then Get More
    Once you redeem your initial set of FastPass+ selections (or the last arrival window has passed), you can make another FastPass+ selection for the same day at an in-park kiosk or using your mobile device, up to park closing. After you redeem the additional FastPass+ pick, you can return to a kiosk to make more selections (one at a time).

If your ticket includes a Park Hopper Option, after you use your initial FastPass+ selections at the first park, you’ll be able to make additional FastPass+ selections (one at a time) at the second park you visit that day, up to park closing. Just visit a kiosk or using your mobile device to make the additional selections."

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

2. Thanks WiltonJohn thanked for this post
    Likes baldburke, WiltonJohn liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly feel like each person's experience and perception is going to be the basis for their experience. We've had bad experiences in the past but this past trip was near perfect. We consider ourselves lucky to have such an amazing trip. WDW is amazing and all but they can only do so much because we still live in the real world. Yes they train their employees to a certain degree but they are not responsible for every individual reaction or word that comes out of their mouths. CM also have to bear the brunt of unhappy people who may be unhappy just because they chose so. For example a visitor was mad at a CM at writers stop bc he 'didn't like the set up they had' and he was quite rude to them and treated them like it was their fault. Like yeah maybe things are a little different but that person acted like a child and created a less than savory environment for the people around him. It's a store at a theme park, dude. You are so lucky you get to even go to a theme park. Enjoy what is around you and live up the magic and create it for yourself because its a mindset. And if you don't think that a store in a theme park is worth your money then don't pay the money for the theme park and don't come back.
    Had previous account but can no longer access :(
    8 previous trips, including honeymoon.
    Two kids 5 & 7 years old.
    One of 'those' WDW fans.

Next: POFQ, our home! April 2018!

5. Thanks Terra thanked for this post
    Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the service has suffered, as a whole. However, in my opinion, that is not enough to offset the nickel-and-dime mentality that Disney has adopted through the years. Memorable experiences that used to be a part of regular admission are now a separate charge (if you choose to do so). Perhaps the added cost and extra planning leads to increased expectations on the guest part, as far as service. I don't think that's hard to understand; when so much time and money is invested in a vacation you expect it to knock your socks off. If it's a mindset, it's one that Disney has cultivated, IMO.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

7. Likes lindique liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FP + is the pits if you don't have a smart phone. We spent a lot of time going from kiosk to kiosk. I thought even the QS food prices were ridiculous. The food wasn't that great. The bus waits at night were awful.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mandaep View Post
    I honestly feel like each person's experience and perception is going to be the basis for their experience. We've had bad experiences in the past but this past trip was near perfect. We consider ourselves lucky to have such an amazing trip. WDW is amazing and all but they can only do so much because we still live in the real world. Yes they train their employees to a certain degree but they are not responsible for every individual reaction or word that comes out of their mouths. CM also have to bear the brunt of unhappy people who may be unhappy just because they chose so. For example a visitor was mad at a CM at writers stop bc he 'didn't like the set up they had' and he was quite rude to them and treated them like it was their fault. Like yeah maybe things are a little different but that person acted like a child and created a less than savory environment for the people around him. It's a store at a theme park, dude. You are so lucky you get to even go to a theme park. Enjoy what is around you and live up the magic and create it for yourself because its a mindset. And if you don't think that a store in a theme park is worth your money then don't pay the money for the theme park and don't come back.
    I could not agree with more. I've been to Disneyland several times as a child. And I've been going to WDW since 1999, so 16 years now. We have been AP holders that whole time. We go at least monthly if not more.
    I haven't noticed a decline in magic or service. Have things changed? Of course, that's the one sure thing in life. Do I miss some of the old stuff? Of course. But I also love the new stuff.
    I go into it with the mindset as an escape from reality and submerse myself in the magic.
    I have been going since before I was married with children. And my children have been going since they were less than a month old.
    And especially for my special needs son the CM always make it so magical for him.

I think for us, even now WDW means so much more. My son [like many of you know has ASD/SPD/Anxiety, and he also had ITP and is currently undergoing chemo]. Due to his health, so many doctor appointments, another personal things, I had to begin staying home and I am also homeschooling him.
    So we are once again a single income household. My husband is an ESE teacher.
    We had to make cuts and sacrifices and one of them was our AP passes [well for me and the boys, my DH hates Disney [for shame! LOL] ]
    And I miss it so much, my boys miss it so much. So in the grand scheme of things for myself and my family. There are just more important things to worry about than "why did they change this or do that."
    I'd give anything to be able to give my sons that magic back, but it is what it is.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

10. Likes ThanxForNoticin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Overall, I would contend that service has not declined over the years. There still are great people working at Disney as there were decades ago when we first starting going. And there are still the rare negative "less-than-Disney" type cast members, as there were decades ago when we started going!

Every trip we start out planning, hoping for that perfect trip. Sometimes we come close. Sometimes we don't. But I think sometimes the things that make it less than perfect are actually out of Disney's control - the flight down is delayed or the rental car is messed up or the weather isn't ideal or something has us distracted back home. But we still love the Disney resorts, parks, restaurants, shops,.... and a very large majority of the Disney cast members. We find those cast members still try to make our stay as magical as possible. And with the craziness of the real world so much of the year, we still seek out the special feeling we get vacationing with Mickey and friends!

12. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been in quite some time however I was discussing this with several people yesterday that travel often - we believe the service is not declining but perhaps has reached a more stressed point. More people & the same number if not fewer CMs being stretched & therefore stressed out perhaps coming off as service declining. I think the lovely conversations & loads of time CMs once had to actually interact with guests is a thing of the past and if not it is definitely becoming more of a rarity.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point about value vs. service. Value decreasing doesn't automatically equate to service decreasing. And, the "making it right" attitude is still there in our experience. After our last two trips there were things that didn't go smoothly that I offered suggestions on in surveys. They weren't even complaints, and each time they were one small part of what was otherwise overwhelmingly positive feedback. Both times someone from Disney called us and insisted on offering us something to make it up to us.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really point to any ways that the service in Disney has suffered over the years, but I CAN tell you that the quality of what I see has suffered. We've visited many, many times in the last 20 or so years and I've watched the little things I loved about the place gradually disappear. Back when we first started visiting, one would be hard pressed to find a piece of trash in a queue line or public area. By comparison, during our last few trips especially, I was appalled by the messes I saw almost everywhere. Gum, water bottles, maps, food trash, even dirty diapers in the Big Thunder Mountain queue line AND thrown over onto the scenic portions of the ride itself? Wow. How about the really annoying array of hair elastics left on Expedition Everest right at the point where we see that the tracks have been broken and we're about to plummet backwards? To me, this is inexcusable. Theming and attention to detail are what Disney was known for and, for people like us who notice these things, appreciate these things, and love these things, it's upsetting to see them fade away into our memory of what Disney used to be like.

Also, I know that many aren't thrilled with Fastpass Plus (personally, I don't like it, but I'm giving it a chance), I honestly believe that everything started changing for the worst when Disney implemented the Dining Plan. Food before the dining plan was fun and we looked forward to having our favorite treats during each trip. It was part of the anticipation. Now? TERRIBLE quick service food adds nothing to our trip. We simply eat because we have to, and that's it.

But, I love Disney World. Always will. We roll with what changes and see the magic where we can. There's still plenty of magic at the happiest place on Earth.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a good time, but things could be better. Why are some people such slobs? There are trash cans everywhere. The one Fantasmic per night was a disaster. FP+ is the pits without a phone. The food court was out of an item for 2 days. The hotel had a foul odor. Several rides had issues.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

We have experienced very good to excellent service at WDW since we began visiting regularly 12 years ago. We have noticed that the cm's often do not have time to add special touches. For example, when celebrating a birthday/anniversary, you would often receive a card and Mickey glitter on your table. There has been a more substantial decrease in value in recent years. In addition, the rising crowd levels diminish the quality of your WDW experience.

We were visiting family in FL in the beginning April, and were flying out of MCO. We added a few days at WDW prior to departure. MK was overrun, like Hershel's farm, and it was difficult to do many rides. Wishes is now complete chaos. Epcot was a bit less hectic, however FP+ has created long waits in rides such as Spaceship Earth and Pirates. The decline in guest behavior is very evident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickey View Post
    There has been a more substantial decrease in value in recent years. In addition, the rising crowd levels diminish the quality of your WDW experience.

Wishes is now complete chaos. Epcot was a bit less hectic, however FP+ has created long waits in rides such as Spaceship Earth and Pirates. The decline in guest behavior is very evident.
    Yeah, totally agree. And I think that people then equate this with "service". But really, it's something else. My overall Disney experience isn't nearly as good as it was when I first started coming. It always seems more crowded, and with rising prices and changes to the dining plan (which we still get), the value has declined. And it's frustrating to have to wait for things that never used to have a long wait, such as Spaceship Earth. We think that we've figured out FP+ well enough that we can deal with it, but we still prefer the old system.

That said, we still love our WDW trips. We're going in Sept. and again in the spring. And possibly inbetween (for a conference). We still love the atmosphere in the resorts and in the parks. We find that the quality of the food is still pretty good, and are looking forward to trying out some new places like Boma on our next trip.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickey View Post
    The decline in guest behavior is very evident.
    I think that is the "cut to the chase" comment.

best,

...............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i'm grumpy View Post
    We had a good time, but things could be better. Why are some people such slobs? There are trash cans everywhere. The one Fantasmic per night was a disaster. FP+ is the pits without a phone. The food court was out of an item for 2 days. The hotel had a foul odor. Several rides had issues.
    I have been going to Disney since 1971. Believe me, we have seen so many changes. It's gone from a wonderful experience to an average theme park visit. I remember when the little things, like cast members walking around with little sweepers, picking up anything and everything. I remember when you didn't see cast members carrying lunch packs, and purses, on their way to break. I remember when you could walk into a restroom that was spotless and each bathroom had an attendant. You never saw chipped paint, dust. Cast members never looked messy, each one was dressed, tucked, ironed. Now things are average, empty buildings, dust, walks are not clean. Cast members have their phones, texting away, or having conversations with other cast members. Fast food places are not that great. To view parades or fireworks now, you have to pay for a prime spot. They raise the prices, cut back on the people that are essential to their business, the cast members that work in the parks. They have focused on moving guests like cattle, guests now make spreadsheets so they can run from ride to ride. Fast passes for FL residents are few and far between. I'm not going to get excited about the new things Disney is planning. I was so disappointed in the Fantasyland addition. We got a mermaid ride that mimics the Nemo ride at Epcot, another Dumbo, the Seven Dwarfs ride that is thunder mountain railroad with little people and an overpriced restaurant. So I'm not going to let myself hope they will give us something new.
    I have always been the biggest Disney fanatic. Don't get me wrong, I still adore Disney but I also am not blind to their faults. I wanted to cry a couple of years ago, when we went to Universal after years of not going. It was wonderful, it was like the old Disney. I felt so disloyal because I had to admit that they had risen above in a few areas.
    I'm still an annual passholder, and I will always love Disney. But I am disappointed with what has happened since Iger took over.
    Last edited by Daisy'sMom; 06-19-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markyv View Post
    Three words describe the issue for our family. Fast Pass Plus. Disney vacations used to be magical when you could go there, wake up in the morning and decide what park you were going to and what restaurant you wanted reservations for. Those days are gone and so is the stress free vacation. Disney wants more money for less value and less attractions than is required for the size crowds that they are accepting. Fast Pass Plus is their attempt to route guests more efficiently in order to not have to add attractions, and I am sorry but a Frozen sing along is not an attraction. I am very turned off to WDW right now, and honestly don't plan on returning for a while.
    This.

Planning a vacation almost requires a Project Management Certification today. So many things have to be juggled, and timelines laid out in order to do what you want. I don't really want to break out an excel spreadsheet to plan a vacation, I have to use excel enough at work, I want to escape that. Disney is finally putting money into WDW with the new attractions coming on line over the next 5 years, but the lack of investment and adding new things is absurd. The fact that we have tiered fast passes at some of the parks is proof that those parks do not have enough for guests to do.

Parks are over crowded because Disney has neglected WDW and failed to add new attractions to absorb those crowds.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiLounger View Post
    I can't really point to any ways that the service in Disney has suffered over the years, but I CAN tell you that the quality of what I see has suffered. We've visited many, many times in the last 20 or so years and I've watched the little things I loved about the place gradually disappear. Back when we first started visiting, one would be hard pressed to find a piece of trash in a queue line or public area. By comparison, during our last few trips especially, I was appalled by the messes I saw almost everywhere. Gum, water bottles, maps, food trash, even dirty diapers in the Big Thunder Mountain queue line AND thrown over onto the scenic portions of the ride itself? Wow. How about the really annoying array of hair elastics left on Expedition Everest right at the point where we see that the tracks have been broken and we're about to plummet backwards? To me, this is inexcusable. Theming and attention to detail are what Disney was known for and, for people like us who notice these things, appreciate these things, and love these things, it's upsetting to see them fade away into our memory of what Disney used to be like.

Also, I know that many aren't thrilled with Fastpass Plus (personally, I don't like it, but I'm giving it a chance), I honestly believe that everything started changing for the worst when Disney implemented the Dining Plan. Food before the dining plan was fun and we looked forward to having our favorite treats during each trip. It was part of the anticipation. Now? TERRIBLE quick service food adds nothing to our trip. We simply eat because we have to, and that's it.

But, I love Disney World. Always will. We roll with what changes and see the magic where we can. There's still plenty of magic at the happiest place on Earth.
    On a trip a few years ago I noticed a plastic coke bottle that someone tossed into the ride on Splash Mountain, right next to one of the Brer Rabbit animatronics. When we rode it a few days later, it was still there. I've noticed the same type of thing in It's a Small World as well.

I get that you're going to see trash sometimes, especially in areas where you can't just grab it, like on a ride, however it should be cleaned up when the park is closed. There's no excuse for trash to lay around in full view for days.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, exactly. I know it's unrealistic to except that trash be picked up instantly in hard to access areas, but what happened to all the after hours clean up? Trash left to pile up for days is upsetting. I also remember that years ago, cast members with brooms and dust pans walked the parks and constantly cleaned up trash from the queue lines and public areas. I don't see nearly as many now. I know I'm probably ranting at this point, but my other question is, why is there so much trash floating around, anyway? There are plenty of trash cans all over the parks. I know that stray trash happens...items get absentmindedly dropped, but this can't account for all of it. I guess it's just easier for lazy people to drop it than to walk to the nearest trash can.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    I think that is the "cut to the chase" comment.

best,

...............john
    It's interesting that you say that. It's just an observation and I have no factual evidence to back it up, but it seems as though some people just have it in for Disney as a response to either Disney's image or perhaps what they're being charged by Disney (again perceived value).

Seriously...how many people drop their trash on the ground and say, "Oh well..Disney has people to clean that up."

The other side is how many people just down right desecrate the Disney facilities? Some are partial owners via DVC and some are partial owners via stock, but we're all essentially guests. Would we treat our own homes like that or people think it's okay to mar walls and furniture? I don't care if it's Disney, the Ritz-Carlton or a Red Roof Inn, I try to respect the property.

Maybe it's parents who think they are obliged to fulfill "The American Dream" and take their kids to Disney, but don't really want to be there? Or maybe it's parents who either don't teach their children respect and/or care about their children's behavior?

Maybe I'm just getting old?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

25. Likes SurferStitch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only consistent decline in service that we have experienced is in Mousekeeping.

In three different resorts, All Star Music, Riverside French Quarter, and Coronado Springs, on three separate trips.

There was always a day or two where Mousekeeping was not done at all or towels not replaced, or beds not made (I usually pull the covers up so it's neat, so maybe they thought I didn't want it made completely?), or... That is contrasted with previous trips where we couldn't leave a big enough tip because they went way above and beyond. The "oops" in Mousekeeping just seemed to get more frequent.

But we've solved all that by becoming DVC members where there is no Mouskeeping for the most part! Seriously though I do like DVC and the sense of "home", and make my bed every day!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

27. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    This.

Planning a vacation almost requires a Project Management Certification today. So many things have to be juggled, and timelines laid out in order to do what you want. I don't really want to break out an excel spreadsheet to plan a vacation, I have to use excel enough at work, I want to escape that. Disney is finally putting money into WDW with the new attractions coming on line over the next 5 years, but the lack of investment and adding new things is absurd. The fact that we have tiered fast passes at some of the parks is proof that those parks do not have enough for guests to do.

Parks are over crowded because Disney has neglected WDW and failed to add new attractions to absorb those crowds.
    Based on your signature, you seem to like neglected theme parks that do not have enough for guests to do. We all must see that the glass is at least half full and that the value is still there or we wouldn't be going so frequently. We need to have our expectations better match what a corporate theme park, in business to make profits, is capable of providing. Not trying to make waves, just being realistic.

17 - OS (DL)
    17 - Yacht
    17 - Sequoia (DLP)
    15, 16 - Poly
    14 - GC (DL)
    14 - Fantasy
    13 - Poly
    12 - Dream
    09 - Magic
    08 - Poly/Wonder
    07 - Magic
    06 - Poly/Wonder