Quantcast Keys to the Kingdom Tour - is it worth it?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keys to the Kingdom Tour - is it worth it?

Looking for opinions of the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at Magic Kingdom. We are thinking of doing it in November but want to get everyone's thoughts on the experience.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We did it in October 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The biggest downside for us was that that day was so stinking hot (and humid) that walking around even in the morning was extremely uncomfortable. Our tour guide was very good and the information shared was not just the usual stuff we already knew. We did go backstage, including into the Utilidors, which was pretty cool. During the tour, we had a special tour on the Jungle Cruise - the Skipper got to sit back and our tour guide took over and explained a whole lot of stuff about the JC instead of the normal "cruise" (although we still got to experience the "back side of water"). We also had a ride on the Haunted Mansion, after a pretty thorough explanation of the history and building of the attraction.

Overall, we felt it was well worth the time and money, and plan on doing it again sometime (when it's cooler, hopefully).

All that said, we actually enjoyed the Undiscovered Future World tour more - but that tour guide was absolutely incredible. But i would not hesitate to do KTTK.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Absolutely Worth It, But Only If...

You are willing to let go of some of the "Magic".

I took the tour a few years ago, and was completely satisfied. You get a great new perspective of what it takes to produce the "magic" that all park guests see during their visit. The special insight into how and why things were done is fantastic! Lunch isn't bad also! Highlights include:

"Special" rides on attractions (mine were Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion).

Backstage views of several attractions.

Utilidors! (Actually, a lot less impressive than I thought it would be.)

VIP status while on the tour. ("Let them eat cake").

One thing to remember - Your guides will answer questions differently depending on whether they are "onstage" or "backstage". Apparantly Disney rules. So be sure to ask your critical questions twice.

The more questions you ask, the more you'll get out of the tour, so I'd suggest having a list ready!

Bottom line, well worth the the time.

BTW, Backstage Magic Tour amps this up to 3 parks. Again, totally worth iot.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

5. Likes waymickey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! I never realized how much you miss trying to get thru the crowds. MK is still not my favorite park but I have a new appreciation for all the meaning put into the park.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the tour! If you've been to WDW at least a half dozen times like yourself then it is a whole new way to experience the MK. The guides are great and you learn some fun stuff along the way. We had never eaten at The Harbour House so that was good. It was, like any other Disney day, a full trip with lots to absorb. After the tour we spent some extra time at the pool just to re-energize. Good luck!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Beware, we just did the Backstage Magic Tour last month and while it states that you visit all 4 parks, we only visited Epcot and Magic Kingdom. They said with all the construction in Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom they dropped them from the tour. It was an expensive tour and I was disappointed that I was not told this when booking it. I have done this tour before around 10 years ago and it was fantastic. I have done almost every tour they have over the years, but I would not pay for another one until all the construction is done.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

9. Thanks baldburke thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the great tings about each tour is the Microphone the Tour Guide speaks into that goes directly to an earpiece that each person wears. As others have said, there is a TON of information and depending on where you are standing it can be hard to hear without these handy devices.

The tour was COMPLETELY worth every penny, you're immersed in the magic from beginning to end!

I also have to say how accommodating they are as well. We were scheduled for a morning, early in our trip, but I got extremely sick and didn't even get out of bed for 2 days. I sent my husband on to go on the tour, no need for him to miss the fun. When he got there, they were able to reschedule our tour for a later date in our trip, so I didn't have to miss it at all!!!

You will be so glad that you decided to do this! I have my name tag and pin hanging where I see them on a daily basis and I sigh a fond happy memory sigh each time I see them!
    Last edited by Isabella; 06-03-2016 at 02:03 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

11. Likes Genie1953, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

We did this about 10 years ago, and I definitely have mixed thoughts on this. For one, as a Disney Lover, it was amazing to see how much thought goes into even the smallest detail. Nothing "On Stage" is by accident. Everything is well thought and implemented. It gives the tour-goer much more appreciation of how much is going on behind the scenes. We saw the utilidors. We visited where they store the floats. And much more.

But an earlier poster is right -- you definitely have some of the "Magic" removed after the tour. For example, one thing I remember was a white line that delineated "On Stage" from "Off." Our tour guide told us as soon as Cast Members (from the parade) cross that line, clothes come off and modesty goes out the window in favor of "cooling down." You want to believe you're in this "Fantasy World," where Goofy and Mickey actually live, and that "Illusion" is removed.

In conclusion: I did it once, but wouldn't do it again.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness