Quantcast Thanksgiving Turkey: Fresh or Frozen?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanksgiving Turkey: Fresh or Frozen?

What kind of turkey does everyone buy? I normally buy a fresh one, but just read an article that there will be a shortage of fresh birds this holiday due to the avian flu that wiped out 9 million turkeys this year. Frozen turkey will not be in short supply, only fresh.

That leads me to wonder, just how long are frozen turkeys kept frozen?

If I buy a fresh bird, how long will it keep fresh in the fridge? Should I buy it now and freeze it at home? The article said if you want fresh, buy early. I usually buy the Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving and am thinking that is probably nota good idea this year.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I always buy fresh. I would often wait until the day before Thanksgiving to go out and get the bird but a few years ago, we got talking to someone in the grocery store who said waiting would make no difference - the supply they had on hand in the store was what they would be selling through the holiday so it would either sit in their fridge or it could sit in mine.

I'll go with the flow. If I can't get a turkey for some reason, I might decide to go with a nice ham.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Frozen turkeys shouldn't be kept more than 3 months in the freezer, I believe, but I could be wrong (in fact, I just looked and have seen people say up to 1 year, so I am wrong). Years ago, I ordered a farm-fresh pre-brined turkey through a popular kitchen retailer and it was so good, worth the price for us (and it is pricey). We have bought from them every year since then, now four years. A fresh bird will keep for 2-3 days before cooking, I think? I wouldn't go more than that, though brining might extend the cycle (not sure).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Frozen turkeys shouldn't be kept more than 3 months in the freezer, I believe, but I could be wrong (in fact, I just looked and have seen people say up to 1 year, so I am wrong). Years ago, I ordered a farm-fresh pre-brined turkey through a popular kitchen retailer and it was so good, worth the price for us (and it is pricey). We have bought from them every year since then, now four years. A fresh bird will keep for 2-3 days before cooking, I think? I wouldn't go more than that, though brining might extend the cycle (not sure).
    Was it a Willie Bird? I am thinking of getting one. Just a breast, as we only eat white meat. And there are just two of us eating the turkey anyway.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We are doing a frozen turkey breast this year, and popping it in the smoker instead of roasting. With it just being the two of us, a whole bird is just too much for us. We smoked a whole bird last year and it was delicious, but the leftovers lasted way too long !
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I am highly allergic to turkey especially fresh (without all those wonderful & nasty preservatives) so for many many years now it is a large roasting chicken or 2 for us. We do all the other holiday favs except the gravy is also a chicken based one not turkey.

I don't feel bad about the lack of turkey (everyone asks this of me) mostly bc 1) I'm used to it now & 2) my mom has the best basting sauce for the roasting chickens.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been getting a smoked turkey for the past few years.DH gets it someplace upstate NY by my BIL. We love it but this year I'm having some of my cousins so I hoping to get a fresh turkey too. DS20 wants a Tur-duck-hen but I think he may be out of luck due to oven space.

Here's my question, I've never done turkey for 22 people. I'm thinking 1.5lbs per person, considering some are children is that enough?
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Lynn, years ago when we had the largest house in the family we used to host Thanksgiving dinner for about 30 people each year, including a fair number of kids. A 25 pounder was always plenty, and we usually had leftovers.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

10. Thanks VWL Mom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love foodie threads! Lynn I would consider two smaller turkeys since they tend to cook a little faster that way and are just flat out easier to handle. That big of a bird is a real space hog.

I usually do frozen, (esp since they are such a good price at my store right now .59 cents a lb) so I already grabbed one. But for just the two of us I have lately been doing a recipe off Pinterest called The Turkey Breast of Wonder. It's REALLY easy and good and makes an awesome gravy too. Still plenty of leftovers for sandwiches etc.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

12. Thanks VWL Mom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's a Willie Bird.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

As far as how long a frozen turkey is good for, a year would be the max. DH worked in the meat department for many years. For best taste, you really should try to use it within 3 months though. No matter how well you store it, it's hard to stave off freezer burn. Fresh meats tend to keep in the fridge for up to a week before they need to be frozen but there should be a use/freeze by date.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: