Quantcast Your Tips for a Stress Free Disney Trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your Tips for a Stress Free Disney Trip

Sounds a bit like an oxymoron, doesn't it?

I just read an article written by someone who offered tips on how to alleviate stress when planning/executing a Disney trip. Now, some of the tips offered may be outside the pocketbook of many/most of us. For example, the writer advocated hiring a Disney tour guide, a personalized concierge service to plan the trip, and to stay at the Polynesian. It got me thinking about what we all do to destress our Disney vacations.

Now, some of what works for me won't work for others. For example, I have been to Disney World a number of times, often several times in the same year. Therefore, I have already eliminated the stress of trying to do it all or trying to do most of it that the one-time visitor might experience.

My tips for a stress free vacation:
    - Don't try to do it all even if you are a first timer or only time visitor. You can't. Know that before you go and decide what is important to your trip and then focus on those things.
    - If you are an infrequent visitor, or a first time visitor, learn about Disney World BEFORE you arrive. So many folks have a miserable time because they have done no planning at all.
    - Don't decide your trip will be a failure if there is a specific dining reservation you are unable to get (Be Our Guest; Cinderella's Royal Table come to mind). And certainly, don't promise your children you will take them until you KNOW you have gotten the reservation.
    - Be flexible. Rushing from ride to ride - attraction to attraction is not fun. It makes people cranky!! If someone needs to sit down and have a rest in an air conditioned spot, do it. If someone wants to stop and watch the dancing fountain in Epcot, do it!
    - Allow adequate time to rest. You are not getting your money's worth out of your park tickets, if you are in the park from opening until closing and drag yourself back to your room, cranky and exhausted.
    - DO explore the Disney resorts especially whatever resort you might be staying in. Take time to go for a swim in the pool.
    - If your budget allows it, do at least a few table service meals and don't consider the time you spend dining as "wasted". It's a chance to enjoy your companions, rest and regroup for a bit, and enjoy what is, hopefully, a good meal.

These are the tips I can think of for the moment. I would love to hear your tips!!!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

2. Likes lawgirl liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great topic!

Off the top of my head is be flexible with the people you are traveling with. The more you try to keep a big group together, the more stress everyone will have. Set meeting times and/or group meal times but chill out and let the park commandos be commandos and the loungers be loungers.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

5. Likes Patricia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say, if you are traveling with small children, don't forget about their needs. Meals, snacks, naps, etc. I see so many cranky toddlers who are probably in need of some down time and the parents just continuing to plug away to get more stuff "done." Just slow down and make sure everyone is really enjoying themselves. And, maybe be willing to give up some things you want to do so your kids can be well rested.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I am so in agreement with the tips listed here. When friends ask me for advice, I tell the "quality over quantity", which is basically what everyone is saying here. Don't stress over trying to see it all, and if small children are involved in the trip, view the trip through their eyes - Sometimes that means going back to the resort in the afternoon to enjoy the pool (or take a nap!), sometimes that means stopping and playing in the water at EPCOT for a few minutes, sometimes that means sleeping in an extra hour some mornings...... Those are the memories I have of my kids - I wouldn't want the memories to be of cranky, overly-tired young ones not having fun! Or, overly-tired cranky adults for that matter!

8. Likes luvkatiebug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So good! Love this! For me, it's letting go and being flexible. Trying not to have unreasonable expectations, and to just enjoy the experiences that come to us. Which means I have been cutting back on alot of planning- I do try to plan a few nice table service meals at our favorite places, and try a new place each trip, but to just chill and enjoy being!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with the don't try to do it all. It just won't happen.

And our secret is a midday break. We start the day in one park, when the crowds hit we head back to our room or rental for a break and then head back out later in the afternoon.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people to try and relax. Stop and watch the entertainment, look at all the beautiful details, let the kids follow that cute duckling.. You won't see it in one trip. Enjoy the moment you are in and don't worry about what you might be missing. I know it's important to some, but more than one sit down reservation is too much stress for me. I have no idea where I will end up on any given day. (This may change with the new advanced fast passes.. or maybe I won't use that feature either.)

Our first family trip, many years ago, we went during off season. At first, finding out the parks closed earlier, we thought that was a bad idea. Instead it turned out to be what we needed to get us back to the resort for a relaxed dinner, maybe a quick a swim for the older two and off to bed early, rested and ready for the next day.
    We didn't see it all, instead we planned the next trip (trips) to see what we missed.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a stress-free vacation comes from reaching the fine balance between planning enough in advance and leaving room for spontaneity. Make plans for key experiences in advance, but be aware that plans can change and go with the flow. Getting to the point where I realized there is no one thing that will make or break my vacation helped me to let go of stress.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Sounds a bit like an oxymoron, doesn't it?

I just read an article written by someone who offered tips on how to alleviate stress when planning/executing a Disney trip. Now, some of the tips offered may be outside the pocketbook of many/most of us. For example, the writer advocated hiring a Disney tour guide, a personalized concierge service to plan the trip, and to stay at the Polynesian. It got me thinking about what we all do to destress our Disney vacations.

Now, some of what works for me won't work for others. For example, I have been to Disney World a number of times, often several times in the same year. Therefore, I have already eliminated the stress of trying to do it all or trying to do most of it that the one-time visitor might experience.

My tips for a stress free vacation:
    - Don't try to do it all even if you are a first timer or only time visitor. You can't. Know that before you go and decide what is important to your trip and then focus on those things.
    - If you are an infrequent visitor, or a first time visitor, learn about Disney World BEFORE you arrive. So many folks have a miserable time because they have done no planning at all.
    - Don't decide your trip will be a failure if there is a specific dining reservation you are unable to get (Be Our Guest; Cinderella's Royal Table come to mind). And certainly, don't promise your children you will take them until you KNOW you have gotten the reservation.
    - Be flexible. Rushing from ride to ride - attraction to attraction is not fun. It makes people cranky!! If someone needs to sit down and have a rest in an air conditioned spot, do it. If someone wants to stop and watch the dancing fountain in Epcot, do it!
    - Allow adequate time to rest. You are not getting your money's worth out of your park tickets, if you are in the park from opening until closing and drag yourself back to your room, cranky and exhausted.
    - DO explore the Disney resorts especially whatever resort you might be staying in. Take time to go for a swim in the pool.
    - If your budget allows it, do at least a few table service meals and don't consider the time you spend dining as "wasted". It's a chance to enjoy your companions, rest and regroup for a bit, and enjoy what is, hopefully, a good meal.

These are the tips I can think of for the moment. I would love to hear your tips!!!!
    These are great tips. Our family likes to have one sit down each day and reminisce about our day. We love trying new and returning to old favourites. After several trips I have made a promise to myself to not go commando. We have been on every ride, time to really slow down and relax. I am thinking going at Christmas time may help in that regard also.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to be the general consensus that not trying to do everything and taking breaks is the best advice. I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately since my husband and I both teach and my girls are school age,we have to go on breaks or during the summer. Our last 2 trips have been in July. Taking the midday breaks is the best, and my girls are 11 and 15. The teenager gets cranky! I also agree that you can't do everything. We make our "absolutely have to do" list and try to accomplish just that. One of our best days on the the last trip was just walking around the countries in Epcot and shopping. We probably spend 2 hours in China and Japan - and that's what my kids talk about the most. I had a revelation about this last trip - less is more!
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Post Thanks / Like

My number one tip for reducing stress on a WDW vacation.

1) Don't make it all about you or your family. Instead, take a second or two to do something to make somebody else's WDW vacation a little better. You'll feel better and so will somebody else. Think what a WDW trip would be like if everyone did things like:
    a) Give up your seat on a crowded bus.
    b) Let someone else get in line in front of you.
    c) Offer to take a picture for another family.
    d) Introduce yourself to somebody next to you in a long queue and make a new friend.
    (everybody at Disney has something in common.)
    e) Walk all the way to the end of the row in a theater before sitting down, so others don't have to step over you.
    f) Take all the pictures you like, but turn off your flash in dark rides. They won't turn out and
    the flash ruins the experience for other guests.
    f) Smile and say hello to people.

Trying to make your WDW dream vacation perfect for yourself and your family will only make you more stressed out. Instead, try to make someone else vacation little better. You'll be surprised how much better your trip will be. It's easy to do and best of all, it costs nothing.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

16. Likes faline, lawgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love these!

Don't run from one thing to the next (which is advice i will need to follow when i try and see the storytellers in a few weeks)-including the bus stops and park entrance/exits.

If your kids want to ride dumbo 100 times, then do that.

Enjoy your resort. I'm terrible at this because i want to get "my moneys worth" at the parks, but the resorts have some really great things that you will miss out on if you don't plan a little time there.

put your phone away and convince fellow guests to do the same.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    My number one tip for reducing stress on a WDW vacation.

1) Don't make it all about you or your family. Instead, take a second or two to do something to make somebody else's WDW vacation a little better. You'll feel better and so will somebody else. Think what a WDW trip would be like if everyone did things like:
    a) Give up your seat on a crowded bus.
    b) Let someone else get in line in front of you.
    c) Offer to take a picture for another family.
    d) Introduce yourself to somebody next to you in a long queue and make a new friend.
    (everybody at Disney has something in common.)
    e) Walk all the way to the end of the row in a theater before sitting down, so others don't have to step over you.
    f) Take all the pictures you like, but turn off your flash in dark rides. They won't turn out and
    the flash ruins the experience for other guests.
    f) Smile and say hello to people.

Trying to make your WDW dream vacation perfect for yourself and your family will only make you more stressed out. Instead, try to make someone else vacation little better. You'll be surprised how much better your trip will be. It's easy to do and best of all, it costs nothing.
    Love this list!!!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post
    put your phone away and convince fellow guests to do the same.
    This is a great idea but with the Disney app, it can be very difficult to do!!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

My friend is going for the first time in January with her two girls, age 6. I keep telling her to relax, and to not max out their days with plans...some of our best moments have been when we didn't have specific plans and stumbled upon some magical moment. You just cannot see and do everything, so focus on enjoying the experiences you do have. And take a break! WDW is so overstimulating- noises, people, bright lights, so much to take in...one of the best things you can do, especially with kids, is to take a break! And I love what an earlier poster listed as nice things to do for someone else. That is great!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

We had been to Disney many times bf we had kids.

On our first trip with them, they were 5 and 7. I decided ahead of time to not tell them EVERYTHING that is available in the parks. I never told them there's a restaurant in the castle or that there's a boutique for a make over.

Disney is already very stimulating without all the extras. "Less is more" works. Our goal was to have a kid friendly trip. We only had one meltdown each during the weeklong trip (I'm referring to the kids)!

I will say that we didn't get to the camp fire/movie with chip n dale. It was high on my list. It was just too late for us. I'm still upset about that... Wierd.
    Susan A

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: