Quantcast AD Placement

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AD Placement

Post Thanks / Like

Default AD Placement

Just so you know, we are testing some ad placement on the boards. Hopefully it's not too annoying for everyone. Unfortunately, in the life of a site, they are a must to keep the lights on and improvements coming.

I had the option of putting them as the first post or the last post. Not sure I prefer one over the other. Going to watch to see how things go.

Just trying to be transparent with everyone in case you were wondering what's up. Google recommends running 3-4 ads per page of differing sizes - so we're giving it a shot.

Thanks for bearing with the changes and testing.

John
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The ads are showing up inside the post itself. Doesn't bother me. I'd maybe go with putting it in the last post, though. That way, the initial post of each thread isn't clogged up with the ad.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

4. Likes missymouseworld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey John! I understand that ads are an important part of keeping the lights on here. INTERCOT is one of the only sites that I've disabled my ad-blocking software on, for that reason. Having an ad appear actually inside a post is a little distracting for me, and in my opinion it takes away from the clean look that you've always striven to achieve. Just my
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

6. Thanks John thanked for this post
    Likes John liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Hey John! I understand that ads are an important part of keeping the lights on here. INTERCOT is one of the only sites that I've disabled my ad-blocking software on, for that reason. Having an ad appear actually inside a post is a little distracting for me, and in my opinion it takes away from the clean look that you've always striven to achieve. Just my
    Thanks for the feedback and for unblocking us.

Like I said - we're trying things out and totally understand where you are coming from. May move it to the last post as Natalie suggested. Problem is that there aren't any other places where the 300x250 ad will fit - and it's a VERY popular ad unit.

At some point, we might be able to widen the site more, and move the ads out to the right of all the posts - but for now, the look is the look while we work on updating content and other things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The ads are showing up inside the post itself. Doesn't bother me. I'd maybe go with putting it in the last post, though. That way, the initial post of each thread isn't clogged up with the ad.
    May just try that... I'm gonna give this look a few days and then switch the other way and see what folks prefer.

9. Likes missymouseworld, Jforrest2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you get credit by me simply coming to the same page as the ad, or do I actually need to see it? My habit is to jump to the last post of a thread I've already accessed. Therefor, ads on the last post will always be seen by me.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

11. Thanks John thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Typically ads are no longer impression based, they are click based. So, unless you click on an AD, the site the ad is on gets no credit.

There used to be a day when a site got paid simply for the ad showing... Those days are long gone.

Post Thanks / Like

John,

What is the best way - meaning what is most profitable for the site - to take advantage of the ads? For quite awhile now, my habit has been to always click on some ad at least once each day. It that still a worthwhile strategy, or is there another way that helps out more?

Thanks for all you do.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

14. Thanks John thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    John,

What is the best way - meaning what is most profitable for the site - to take advantage of the ads? For quite awhile now, my habit has been to always click on some ad at least once each day. It that still a worthwhile strategy, or is there another way that helps out more?

Thanks for all you do.

Steve
    Steve:

As far as our direct site sponsors (Magical Journeys, The Timeshare Store, Official Ticket Center, Universal Orlando, All Star Vacation Homes, Quicksilver) - use them and mention INTERCOT, that's the best way.

When it comes to other ads, if something interests you - check it out just like you have been doing.

Thanks for your support!
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Yes, I agree....the last post would make it better than the first. It is like when you call a company to ask a question, you hate getting all that up front phone stuff to get thru, you just want to get to ask your question. At the end, seems better.

BWV & HH

17. Likes disneymom15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey John,

Not a fan of the Ad in the actual post as mine are showing up over top of the writing and I can't get around / under it. Kinda annoying. Like Pirate Lover, I liked the cleaner look. I come here to be with my "Disney" family, not for the ads.

Last post or showing like a separate post, 2nd or third down might be nicer as well, if that option is possible.

Good luck with it.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

19. Thanks deedee73 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Hey John,

Not a fan of the Ad in the actual post as mine are showing up over top of the writing and I can't get around / under it. Kinda annoying. Like Pirate Lover, I liked the cleaner look. I come here to be with my "Disney" family, not for the ads.

Last post or showing like a separate post, 2nd or third down might be nicer as well, if that option is possible.

Good luck with it.
    Unfortunately, the ads pay for the Disney family to exist... which browser are you using that the ads are overtop the writing? Can't replicate in IE 11, Edge or Chrome.

We may move to the last post. Only options are first and last....

Post Thanks / Like

C'est la Vie, huh? No worries. :-)

I'm running Windows Explorer 7. Mighta just been a burp. I know that they can do these things. Not a biggie.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

22. Thanks John thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving the move to the last post. Makes the first post (which is often longer) MUCH easier to read, and it doesn't seem to get in way so much at the last post.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

24. Likes disneymom15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Heather, I like it better on the last post.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

If nothing else, I would think that keeping it at the last post would definitely be better in terms of having a higher chance of translating into a "click" or even a sale. When I browse I always click on the little "New Posts" button for each thread, meaning I do not see the top of the thread but one time, but I will always see the bottom of the thread each time the thread is updated.

Just my
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

John,
    You are amazing in everything you do on and for Intercot! I'm quite sure that 95% of the people on this site have no idea of the cost financially or time investment that you personally put into keeping this THE best site about Disney anywhere!
    It is a common love of all things Disney that brings us here, but it is the highest quality, family friendly, funny posting, jort hating, Illuminations vs. Fantasmic battling, framily that keeps us coming back for more!
    Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I for one do not tell you enough, THANK YOU!!!

Patty
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

28. Likes deedee73, Patricia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
    John,
    You are amazing in everything you do on and for Intercot! I'm quite sure that 95% of the people on this site have no idea of the cost financially or time investment that you personally put into keeping this THE best site about Disney anywhere!
    It is a common love of all things Disney that brings us here, but it is the highest quality, family friendly, funny posting, jort hating, Illuminations vs. Fantasmic battling, framily that keeps us coming back for more!
    Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I for one do not tell you enough, THANK YOU!!!

Patty
    Very nice of you Patty to say. I appreciate it, but without my great staff, I'd be nowhere...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Very nice of you Patty to say. I appreciate it, but without my great staff, I'd be nowhere...
    And a very nice staff you have!!!!! Thank you to all who make Intercot THE very BEST!!!!!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

31. Thanks John thanked for this post
    Likes John liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have to say about the ads, and I dont know if you can control this, but I have a hard time with ads that are videos that automatically play. Some have sound and some don't and it kind of hijacks my sound and slows down my browser. I use Firefox, just fyi.
    "That is just poor show" -Cruella DeVil

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: