Quantcast Magic, Mayhem, Wifi and more; Our Return to Disney --Day Ten (Last Day)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic, Mayhem, Wifi and more; Our Return to Disney --Day Ten (Last Day)

Cast:

Me (Husband) -- 54
    DW -- 42
    DD -- 12
    DS -- 5

"The Clouds Open Up!"

There's a cloud over us when we awaken today and it's not the storms. They would come later. No, it's our final day and we are sad. I ready myself, wake wife, and head out for coffee and iced tea. The refillable mugs really got a workout over the past 10 days. On the way, I'm doing my usual wide smile and "good morning" to everyone I see, but today, I'm kind of phoning it in. Normally, I'm so happy each morning, I am eager to spread some of it to other Disney-philes. Today, I'm just trying to fool myself into being excited. Tomorrow we leave.

I've tried several exit strategies in the past, all with poor results. Several trips back, I scheduled a flight out at 7 p.m., giving us time to have breakfast at the Magic Kingdom on departure day. I thought if we could sneak some unplanned MK time in, it would mitigate the sadness. It had the opposite effect. It was heartbreaking, leaving beautiful Magic Kingdom with so many jubilant people pouring in, only to get on plane and go back to gloomy Pittsburgh.

"Never Again!"

Last trip, we went for breakfast at Downtown Disney, which was fun, but anything we purchased had to come with us on the plane because our bags were checked. Plus, our flight was at 3 p.m., so we had to be back around noon, which left little time to enjoy. Too hectic for fun. This time, we will rip the bandage off quickly. Magic Express picks us at 10:15 a.m., time for breakfast and checkout.

But that's tomorrow. Today is about enjoyment. Unbridled enjoyment. I made ADRs for Chef Mickey's at 8:30. My thinking was to do one of my favorite character breakfasts to lessen today's malaise. Time is our most precious commodity so instead of Disney Transportation, I call Mears for a cab. No time to waste at a bus stop.

On the way, I try to put my finger on why this place has such a hold on me. On us. It can't be the rides. There are far better in my estimation at other places. Cedar Point immediately comes to mind. While well themed, I can't think of a single attraction in Walt Disney World I'd hop on a plan to ride. (I've stood for three hours to ride Millennium Force.) Shows and parades are great, as are the food options, but again not worth a plane ticket. Perhaps, it's the immersion, selling us on the idea that this entire enterprise is owned by a Mouse and run by he and his friends and NEVER allowing a crack in the illusion. That's a huge part. But for me, it's being together -- morning to night -- with my family. Coming here is an endeavor, worthy of at least seven days or more. Work, school, life, all interrupt and intrude at home and our time together is fractured. Here, we are one unit for -- on this trip -- 11 days, enjoying each others' company, sharing smiles and stories, hugs and tears. All together. All the time.

"Scarecrow, I think I'll miss you most of all."

We arrive at the Contemporary and DW gets an Iced Mocha downstairs. Up elevator for pictures and seated quickly. Variety is good; food is very tasty. Characters are - pardon the pun -- "Goofy." And fun. And enjoyable. But my plan isn't working as I had hoped. Instead of eating here on the last day, with the intention of making the last day more enjoyable, the gloom of last day is taking the enjoyment off one of my favorite character meals. I decide never to do that again. I can't allow myself to fully enjoy it.

Pay and leave. Look for five-legged goat. (Or cow. I can't remember which.) Grab monorail to MK.

We arrive just after opening. It is just another perfect, sunny morning in Orlando. We go directly to Town Square Theatre. On our last trip to Hollywood Studios, DW purchased a watch, along with several items, including a T-shirt for me. Most items, including the watch, were sent back to our resort. The T-shirt she took for me to wear the next day. She repeatedly said the CM became distracted during their conversation and the watch had not yet arrived. She had the receipt. So today, she took it to a CM and told her story. A manager was called and she described it to him. He knew exactly which one she was talking about and walked her over to the Emporium while we remained. A few minutes later, she returned, wearing the watch. It was quintessential Disney.

Our first FastPass is with Talking Mickey at the Theatre. When I made this, I really thought I was throwing a FP away. You see Mickey EVERYWHERE! How enjoyable could this be? But as we got closer, I became excited. You feel like you're about to meet a real-life celebrity in his dressing room. The setup is well done. We enter and he gives us a standard "Hiya, Pal!" I'm a little in awe, and yet observing everywhere, trying to solve this riddle. I listen closely to all his replies. Is he answering live in real time? Or, are these pre-recorded phrases which are played at the appropriate time? I believe it is the latter and not the former. Either way, the illusion is fantastic and I feel like I've met a Star!!! We all are glad we did this.

Our next FastPass is for Pirates of the Caribbean. It's soft opening was yesterday and we are eager to ride. Unfortunately, when we get there, it is not running. We are told if the ride is up and running later, we can return anytime today and our FPs will be honored. In the meantime, we get paper FPs, valid in Fantasyland. We leave disappointed. If we don't ride it today, we will have missed it the entire trip.

We ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, then mosey up Frontierland. Popcorn and Coke Zero. We ride the Hall of Presidents for first time of trip. Man, what a great attraction. It has changed slightly since last time we rode this. Now, George Washington speaks, along with Abraham Lincoln and Barack Obama. The attraction moves DD & I to tears. I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud of your country. Our story is, while imperfect, amazing nonetheless.

We want to eat at Columbia Harbour House, but the line is out the door so we opt for Pinocchio Village. Better than I remember. Paper FP at Peter Pan. Then DW & DD ride Haunted Mansion one last time. (Little man & I sit this one out.) I notice on My Disney Experience that POTC has a wait time. We decide to walk back. Yep! It is up and running! (Yippee!!) Ride is great. Visuals are great, but a water canon goes of next to boat and I get soaked! (I don't remember that ever happening before.) We all agree: this is best attraction in Magic Kingdom and we are glad we got to ride it.

I still have to go back to Lost & Found to retrieve two bags I left in Downtown Disney a few nights ago. I tell family I will go while they ride and shop and we will meet up in front of Epcot Ball. This will be first (and hopefully last) time I leave Magic Kingdom for final time of vacation on my own. I move quickly so I don't have time to think.

In and out of Lost & Found. On monorail. Through security. I'm there fast. Text says, they're just leaving MK so I people watch for 30 minutes or so. So many happy faces.

My daughter runs to me and hugs me when we rejoin. (My son fell asleep in stroller on the way.) She & I ride Spaceship Earth, then get in line for Test Track. We haven't ridden it yet. (Little man misses his chance.)

Sixty-minute wait, but we hope it's worth it. Once in the design station, the CM does something peculiar. Instead of each guest designing his or her own vehicle, she opts to have one per group. Not sure why. So when we get in our vehicle, instead of competing against five different designs, there are only two. It took away just a bit from the experience. Still, I much prefer the new version to the old. I never found the original Test Track worth more than a few minutes of my time. Even though it is the same layout, I was immersed and enthralled throughout. I'd ride this again in a minute.

When we exit, we feel sprinkles. I ask DD if it's raining and she says "It's the Cooling Station." But I look at radar and I see trouble. We text DW to meet up, but within a few minutes, the skies open. We join them in the Innoventions Underpass. It is a torrential downpour. Epcot, which was packed only a few minutes ago, now has barren pathways, flooded over. Everyone has run for cover. The rain is cold and hard. DW comes up with an idea: "Let's ride Ellen's Energy Adventure."

Ponchos on, we rapidly hike it over, almost no one else in the path. DW wants to bring stroller in, but CM is adamant. DW says leave it here, but again CM is adamant about where it is to be left. I tell DW and kids to ride and I will go to Innoventions. We can meet up at MouseGear. Once inside, DW texts there are only five people on attraction and kids are crying, hysterically for their "Dad-o!"

"I'm fine. Enjoy."

I work my way back to underpass and sit, listening to a young couple discuss how they'll get to their car with a newborn in stroller. Forty-minutes later, we are together again. DD & DS hug me. (All worth it.) DD tells me CM was "jerky" on how rude she was. I explained if she allowed us to enter with stroller, she'd have to allow everyone else, too.

"Yeah, but she didn't have to be a jerk about it."

On that point, I concede. She was the only un-Disney-like CM we encountered all trip. One last trip in MouseGear. Wife asks if my heart is set on watching Illuminations one last time. I look at radar and realize, leaving now is probably best as there's a slight break in precipitation.

Soaking wet, we make our way to the bus. While on, DD makes me video the entire ride so we can have the audio with us.

As the PA announcer says, "Welcome Home!" She cries and hugs me tight.

Our trip is over. Thanks for coming along.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2. Thanks faline, Donald thanked for this post
    Likes faline liked this post
    Dislikes Donald disliked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have greatly enjoyed traveling around Disney World with you and your family! Thanks for your wonderful reports!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

5. Thanks MrPeetrie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read all your trip report posts. Liked this one the best- love your reason for loving DIsney so much. I too agree. Food is a close 2nd tho. Thanks for sharing.

7. Thanks MrPeetrie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So enjoyed your reports!

DH and I say it every trip, its the only vacation that we feel real life doesn't intrude. It brings us back again and again.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

9. Thanks MrPeetrie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

THANK YOU for the great reports, I have LOVED reading them.

Isn't the last day feeling the worst?
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

11. Thanks MrPeetrie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Thanks for taking me on your Trip with you. It was the most enjoyable full vaca report I've ever read here. I think I am almost as sad as you are that you didn't get to stay longer.
    We leave in 9 days and you've helped me definitely get in the mood!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

13. Thanks MrPeetrie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to post! I really enjoyed reading all of them and am so happy to learn that I am not the only one who leaves things behind!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

15. Thanks MrPeetrie thanked for this post
    Likes MrPeetrie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You

Thank you so much for posting your in depth review. Having the trip so close to mine was so fun to read along (after just reading the last two installments on my first day back at work-blah!)

Sorry you had rain on the way out but glad you got to do some other fun last day things.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

17. Thanks MrPeetrie thanked for this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: