Quantcast 25 new projects for wdw

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 25 new projects for wdw

I was just reading about a long list of new changes and additions for Disney World. I was wondering if the estimated dates are pretty solid. Or do they normally get a lot of delays or maybe even opener sooner. Why would the Avatar projects take so long?

1. JEDI TRAINING … 2015
    2. STAR WARS LAUNCH BAY … 2015
    3. MILLENNIUM FALCON RIDE … TBA (To be announced)
    4. STAR WARS CREATURE CATINA RESTAURANT … TBA
    5. THE FIRST ORDER BATTLE ATTRACTION … TBA
    6. SOARING AROUND THE WORLD … 2016
    7. NBA EXPERIENCE RESTAURANT … 2016
    8. JUNGLE NAVIGATION CO. SKIPPER CANTEEN … OPEN
    9. NEW VILLAIN THEATER HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS …TBA
    10. FROZEN EVER AFTER … 2016
    11. ROYAL SOMMERHUS FROZEN MEET AND GREET ..2016
    12. STK RESTAURANT … 2015
    13. SLINKY DOG ROLLER COASTER … TBA
    14. BUZZ LIGHTYEAR SPINNING RIDE … TBA
    15. NEW DISCOVERY ISLAND RESTAURANT / ANIMAL KINGDOM … 2015
    16. FLAMINGO CROSSING FAMILY SUITS / 500 SUITS … 2016
    17. MORIMOTO’S … OPEN
    18. JACK LINDSEY’S … OPEN
    19. PLANET HOLLYWOOD OBSERVATORY … 2016
    20. RIVERS OF LIGHT ANIMAL KINGDOM … 2016
    21. THE EDISON BAR … TBA
    22. KILIMANJARO SUNSET SAFARIS … 2016
    23. AVATAR FLIGHT OF PASSAGE RIDE… 2018
    24. AVATAR BOAT RIDE … 2018
    25. AVATAR MESS HALL RESTAURANT … 2018

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say there are 25 projects as many of what you listed are all part of 1 project...

Avatar is taking long because 1) Iger got the IP rights as a knee jerk reaction to Wizarding World Of Harry Potter's extremely successful opening... 2) They announced Avatar without having any ideas or plans nailed down... 3)James Cameron is a perfectionist, and Disney management has been known to be cheap and instead of looking to build extra, they always look to cut costs, and budgets, well combine the two and you have a recipe for head butting and disaster...

There are sometimes delays as unforeseen circumstance can happen... Also, Disney is notorious for spreading out construction costs, so construction seems to take forever with them... I wouldn't expect that to be the case with Star Wars land are though... By all accounts, Star Wars has been fast tracked... At first, opening would have been 2020/2021... now it is looking like 2018/2019...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping they don't build Avatarland. How can you expect there to be excitement about it when the movie came out in 2009 and has not had any sequels?! It will never match Harry Potter.

Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they do a better job than they did with FantasyLand. The new attractions are sub-standard. Seven dwarfs is basically thunder mountain, Ariel's attraction s cheap looking, and they added another Dumbo. The imagineers should take a walk over to Universal. Their new attractions are fantastic. Never thought I'd see the day.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Euby View Post
    I'm hoping they don't build Avatarland. How can you expect there to be excitement about it when the movie came out in 2009 and has not had any sequels?! It will never match Harry Potter.

There are 3 sequels to Avatar coming and the initial additions to AK for Pandora should be active about the same time as the first of the sequels release. Both keep getting put off, so a 2017/2018 time frame sounds about right.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Euby View Post

Hoping they don't build Pandora? Too late... Construction is in full swing with the show building pretty much up already... So, yes, I think you are about to be highly disappointed cause it is coming...

And as PopPhan said, there are three sequels in the works... People haven't forgotten about Avatar as much as Disney fans want to think... And to compare ti Harry Potter, well, that's not fair... The only IP I would compare to Potter is Star Wars, and even then, Star Wars probably beats Potter as top IP...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DizneyFreak2002;2470898]People haven't forgotten about Avatar as much as Disney fans want to think..QUOTE]

This is true. I just got an email from our local concert venue about a Cirque du Soliel show "Inspired by James Cameron's Avatar." It's called Toruk and it's supposed to be almost like a prequel I guess?
    Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie
    Disney Honeymoon~~Aug. '02 Off Property
    1st Family Trip~~Feb. '13 ASMovies
    Surprise Trip!! Dec. 2014!!! Off Property
    Next trip booked! July 2015! Wyndham Bonnet Creek!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I never hear any discussion about Avatar. And, I'm around my share of sci-fi/fantasy geek discussions. When I mentioned Avatar coming to AK, the first thing that came to their minds was the cartoon, Avatar The Last Airbender.

I saw the movie and was not horribly impressed with the story, acting or the dialogue. The visuals, however, were amazing! Even not liking the movie, I'm excited to see what they do with this in AK. Hopefully the sequels will have better stories and do away with the cheesy dialogue.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Suzanne. Avatar was more of a fad thing in that it caught the new wave of 3D films that year. It pulled in a ton of money but has not really aged very well for movie or sci if fans. Bad idea to base a theme park off of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acetate View Post
    I agree with you Suzanne. Avatar was more of a fad thing in that it caught the new wave of 3D films that year. It pulled in a ton of money but has not really aged very well for movie or sci if fans. Bad idea to base a theme park off of it.
    Well, they're only basing a land, not a theme park, off of it.... no 5th gate.

Also, the planet of Pandora is beautiful in the movie. The bioluminescent forest is gorgeous, and will be an incredible addition to AK. Avatar is all about conservation, as is AK, so it's a perfect fit. Even if you don't like Avatar, Pandora in AK will be amazing.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Well, they're only basing a land, not a theme park, off of it.... no 5th gate.

Also, the planet of Pandora is beautiful in the movie. The bioluminescent forest is gorgeous, and will be an incredible addition to AK. Avatar is all about conservation, as is AK, so it's a perfect fit. Even if you don't like Avatar, Pandora in AK will be amazing.
    I agree. Hopefully, it will be like Splash Mountain. Very few people remember or have ever seen Song of the South, but the ride remains a favorite. I cannot take credit for this analogy (I forgot who said it and am too lazy to figure it out), but I think it is a good one.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: