Quantcast Tipping at WDW Restaurants

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping at WDW Restaurants

Whether you call it a tip or a gratuity or paying for service, I like doing it. I’ve long since decided if I can’t afford to tip I can’t afford to eat out.

As the leader of a 6 person family using the DDP, I understand the TS restaurant will calc the gratuity and place that amount on my room account. Swell, fine, convenient and I don’t care if my Disney resort puts a jillion dollar hold on my CC.

My question is, do people tip on top of the service charge that is calc’ed and added automatically? What is normal?

A built in service charge is a tricky thing. In Germany, it is customary to round the amount up slightly, less than a dollar, as “bier gelt” – beer money and tipping more than that doesn’t mean you’re a generous big shot, it means you’re a rube who doesn’t understand you’ve already paid for service.

And please don’t tell me to give our server something like a pamphlet or a picture of Mickey that one our kids drew. I assume my server is working to pay the light bill, not to meet vacationers.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you.

I always leave a 20% (occasionally more) tip when dining out, whether at home or travelling.

I use the TIW card in WDW, so an 18% gratuity is automatically added to the bill. I always add a bit more when paying the bill, to insure that the server receives at least 20%.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

While there were only two of us this past trip every server we had was fantastic and we felt deserved large tips. Most of the meals we left between 25-40 dollars. The exception was Grand Floridian Cafe were we had the best waiter and gave him 50. They all work so hard to make sure everyone is happy they deserve to be rewarded.

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We often use the Tables in Wonderland card which automatically adds an 18% tip. For mediocre or average service, we do not add any additional to the tip (and figure that saves us about 2% over what we normally tip outside of Disney). For good to excellent service, we will add an additional amount to the tip depending on the level of service.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    My question is, do people tip on top of the service charge that is calc’ed and added automatically? What is normal
    I don't use the dining plan and have nothing to add; I'm only commenting because I know my Mendelson/Mendohlson/Beethoven thing perplexes you.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

We generally leave 20%.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I still live with my parents and I think they pay 15%-18% depending on the service quality. I just wanted to say thank you to someone who gets it. I work a minimum wage job at a kid's party place and rely on tips. Most people tip way below 15% and it means a lot that there are people out there who tip generously. I always aim to tip heavy when the service is well done. Thank you!
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

We go with a party of 7 so the 18% is automatically added. For most meals, that is all we leave. If we have a waiter/waitress that is exceptional though we have left extra.
    1984 - Contemporary
    1989, 91, 92 - Caribbean Beach
    1992, 94, 95 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Caribbean Beach
    2007, 08, 10 - Pop Century
    2012 - AOA
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2014 - Pop Century
    2015 - POR / Yacht Club

10. Thanks Donald thanked for this post
    Likes Donald liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We use the dining plan but I never charge the tip to the room. I always have envelopes that I save tip money in and leave a cash tip. We never leave less than 18% and many times go above 20% if the service is good. I don't ask for much, just keep my glass refilled and I am happy, you will get at least 20% that way!! If I am left in the Sahara begging for a refill on my water or soda forget it, you are getting 18%.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

We have TiW (just me and DH, no kids).

At buffets we just tip the 18% auto gratuity unless the server does some exceptional (which honestly never happens). Service is always fine, just not spectacular.

Most of our dinners are at signature restaurants, where we always tip over the 18% (at least 25% or even more if service was really incredible).

At TS meals in the parks, we almost always add to the 18% to hit at least 20% gratuity or more. We don't see the highly personalized service at park restaurants like we do at the TS resort restaurants (I know it's a more frantic pace), so it's usually 20% (but we have tipped more as well).
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: