Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - August 31-Sept 16, 2015

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Weather Forecast - August 31-Sept 16, 2015

I'll update this first post each day with the forecast (though I'll occasionally miss a day), both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Update Sunday pm, August 30, 2015
    It's hard to believe, but tomorrow marks 10 years of me doing the mostly daily WDW weather forecast here on Intercot. I started this because of Hurricane Katrina and all the questions that came with that and it developed into just doing a daily forecast for Intercot. Time flies.

The high today will be 87-88. Right now things are clear but more showers and storms could develop later this afternoon. For tomorrow look for a high 90-92 with a 60% chance of a thunderstorm. Definitely not an all day rain though as the impact from Erika will be lessening considerably. Wednesday through Monday highs will hang around 90, give or take a degree, with a 50-50 shot of thunderstorms moving through each afternoon. In general, it's the storms that determine the final high temp. If they develop and move through earlier the high will be lower. If they don't develop or move through later then you could see a high up to 92 or 93. And since I am arriving with my family on Sunday we're just excited to be there no matter the weather!

Long range...Sept 8-16 doesn't look much different. Highs upper 80s to low 90s with a good chance of a pop up storm each afternoon. The models are still trying to bring a front south by the end of the forecast period but they're flipping back and forth from run to run as to whether it makes it. In general I would assume no. It's a little early for that strong of a front to arrive. Give it another 2-3 weeks.

Travel Issues
    No major issues today or tomorrow.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here and here to learn a lot about turbulence and other issues that sometimes cause anxiety when flying. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!

Tropics
    The remnants of Erika have been written off and beyond some heavy rain will no longer be an issue.

Fred in the far eastern Atlantic is now a category one hurricane near the Cape Verde Islands. It will move northwest in coming days, and should weaken later this week as it encounters dry air and and shear. No threat to the U.S. as it stays out to sea.

And, finally, the rest of the Atlantic basin is quiet again, though some of the models do try to stir something up in the Gulf in about 10 days. That's total voodoo, though.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris,

My weather search has begun. We are there from 8/19-8/27. We go each year so I know the drill but still fun to keep an eye out!!

Looking forward to reading up each day!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I'm watching this with interest as I am driving from WDW to St Petes on Thursday 13 so am hoping it is not going to be heavy rain!
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    I'm watching this with interest as I am driving from WDW to St Petes on Thursday 13 so am hoping it is not going to be heavy rain!
    The afternoon models today are keeping the front next week up closer to I-10 and not as much of an issue for Orlando and Tampa. We'll have to see if it stays the case but from a climatological standpoint that makes sense. Fronts rarely make it to Orlando in August.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Going August 22 - 30th. I'm glad we won't get that 105 heat index like we did last year!! Thanks for the great forecast Chris!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As departure looms... watching this more closely now.

Wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the weather updates, Chris. Much appreciated.

best,

...............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Chris! We leave in the morning so I've been keeping an eye on your reports.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a great thread! I will be keeping an eye on it, as we are there from 8/29 to 9/12.

Does there seem to be a higher chance of rain than usual for this time of year? We always go this time of year, so expect the daily short downpour (last time was August/September 2011). However, when I looked at the forecast recently, there seems to be a very high chance of rain all day? Maybe I'm being paranoid!

Cheers,
    James.
    1998 : All Star Sports
    2001 : Off-Site
    2005 : Caribbean Beach
    2008 : Caribbean Beach
    2011 : Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2015 (Aug/Sept) : Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShinynewJB View Post
    Does there seem to be a higher chance of rain than usual for this time of year? We always go this time of year, so expect the daily short downpour (last time was August/September 2011). However, when I looked at the forecast recently, there seems to be a very high chance of rain all day? Maybe I'm being paranoid!
    No, it's pretty normal in terms of rainfall. Just daily stuff from the sea breeze. The only fly in the ointment we have to watch very carefully is Erika which could be a threat to Florida. I'll bring a full update on that this afternoon but make sure to keep a check on that since you'll be there during the potential impact time next week.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, Chris - I'll keep an eye on it.
    1998 : All Star Sports
    2001 : Off-Site
    2005 : Caribbean Beach
    2008 : Caribbean Beach
    2011 : Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2015 (Aug/Sept) : Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I am not headed to Florida for another month yet but I still love to read your weather post Chris! You are always my first stop on things like Erika. Thanks for taking the time to keep us all posted.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris!

We arrive Sunday a.m. We are prepared for rain Sun, Mon, Tue. Do you think it will be an all day soaking? Anxious to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris,
    First, thank you so much for the time that you put into these weather reports. I watch them every year before I head down and am so greatful for them!! Living in WI, the weather reports I see for FL just look like it rains all the time.

Wondering if you have any thoughts on flights into Orlando this coming week? We are scheduled to fly in on Tuesday morning arriving about 11:00 am. If there is just a lot of rain, do you think that flights will be affected? I am just asking for a guess, I know you don't have a crystal ball :-)
    Thank you very much!!
    Kari
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen C. View Post
    Hi Chris!

We arrive Sunday a.m. We are prepared for rain Sun, Mon, Tue. Do you think it will be an all day soaking? Anxious to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
    Hey, Jen. Just finished the update. No, I don't think it will be an all day soaking even if Erika rides right up the Florida peninsula. There will be clear periods interspersed with periods of torrential downpours. Umbrellas will be useless, but ponchos should be fine. Just make sure you're wearing flip flops or some shoes you don't mind getting wet! This will all depend on the final track, which is still unknown. It's completely possible WDW gets nothing. Check back tomorrow and I'll have a much better idea of what's going to happen. Have a wonderful trip!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDW&MK View Post
    Wondering if you have any thoughts on flights into Orlando this coming week? We are scheduled to fly in on Tuesday morning arriving about 11:00 am. If there is just a lot of rain, do you think that flights will be affected? I am just asking for a guess, I know you don't have a crystal ball :-)
    Thank you very much!!
    Kari
    Hi, Kari! Thanks. I'm happy to provide this service for Intercot. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I would say there's potential for delays on Tuesday, but you should still be able to get in. Right now I don't think the remnants of Erika at that point would be strong enough to cause cancellations. There will be clear times in between the rain. I'll have a clearer picture tomorrow but as for now I think you'll be able to get in on Tuesday. Just the Hurricane Policy FAQ I just posted in the Vacation Planning forum just in case you have any issues.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate it!! I'll keep watching over the next couple of days too!
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

We will be driving....stopping in Chattanoga area Tuesday night. Then finishing the trip Wednesday morning-afternoon. Do you see any impact in GA on Wednesday that we need to be worried about ( of course, IF it does go the direction that the models show)? THANKS!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by momof3+twins View Post
    We will be driving....stopping in Chattanoga area Tuesday night. Then finishing the trip Wednesday morning-afternoon. Do you see any impact in GA on Wednesday that we need to be worried about ( of course, IF it does go the direction that the models show)? THANKS!!!!!
    No significant impact. If the storm follows its current path you could run into some heavy rains in GA or northern FL but nothing too bad.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We made sure our generator worked last night and bought extra propane for the grill. This morning Erika was no longer a threat. Works every time.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    We made sure our generator worked last night and bought extra propane for the grill. This morning Erika was no longer a threat. Works every time.
    I've found this works equally well for snow
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: