Quantcast Rotational dining ...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotational dining ...

After a mediocre dining experience on our last voyage, I was wondering if anyone; on a 7 day cruise or longer, skipped the dining in the main restaurants and did the buffet/food stations by the pools & Palo's instead? If so, what did you do about the "tipping" since you did not utilize the dining room staff?
    Animal Kingdom Lodge(2)
    All-Star Movies/Music(6)
    Pop Century(3)
    Beach Club Villas(4)
    Boardwalk Villas(8)
    Coronado Springs
    Hilton Head Island(3)
    Old Key West(4)
    Port Orleans-FQ(2)
    Disney's Santa Fe Resort-Paris
    Disneyland(2)
    Disneyland Paris
    Disney Magic(8)
    Disney Wonder(2)
    Disney Dream

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I have only been on one cruise (a 7-day), and I ate in the MDR each night, it is my understanding that you would not adjust the tipping because you did not eat in the MDR. The servers are assigned and there regardless, and even when they are not serving at dinner time, they are serving in Cabanas or elsewhere on the ship throughout the day.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

You have to tip regardless. Those servers for the MDR work All DAY at the other food service locations throughout the day. They man the poolside food areas, cabanas, and the BBQ at Castaway Cay. They work 12 hour days. The gratuity covers all the places they serve food.

We have done Cabanas in lieu of the MDR on occasion. It is nice because the food is fresher, and you get a menu that is a compilation of all the MDR menus with a couple selections from each available. The downside is SLOW service, less attentive service, and limited accessibility (it is not available the first or last nights of the cruise). It is not a buffet at dinner time. There are no dinner buffets on DCL.

I have not done Palo or Remy. I would probably try Palo. Remy, no desire.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we're going to find out. I just booked an Alaskan cruise next summer & going to go the Cabanas/Palo's/poolside route. After 11 cruises on DCL, I know the waitstaff work all food areas and "ALL DAY". What ticked me off was the p*sspoor service we received from our MDR waitstaff. Neither one deserved the "recommended tip" and neither received it either. We've received more attentative service on Carnival at a MUCH lower price and honestly, better food. It was one of many little things on this cruise that made us wonder (no pun) if Disney is losing it's touch or just doesn't really care.
    Animal Kingdom Lodge(2)
    All-Star Movies/Music(6)
    Pop Century(3)
    Beach Club Villas(4)
    Boardwalk Villas(8)
    Coronado Springs
    Hilton Head Island(3)
    Old Key West(4)
    Port Orleans-FQ(2)
    Disneyland(2)
    Disneyland Paris
    Disney Magic(8)
    Disney Wonder(2)
    Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cabanas at night - great service!

We went to Cabanas one night because they were serving an appetizer that we loved and wanted to have another taste of (truffle pasta purses from Animator's Palate). We were greeted with applause by several servers when we arrived because we were their first customers. So that was fun. And we received top-noch service from our waiter. We felt bad we were only there for one item because they seemed so excited to serve us dinner. I like the main dining room, but I found this to be a great option, especially if you are looking for a quiet night or a more simple experience. There were few people who came in with young children. It was not crowded and had a nice relaxed vibe, while still being full-service.

Post Thanks / Like

Well , we're going to give it a try. I booked an Alaska cruise for next July and I am hoping the seating in Cabana's will be more favorable to seeing some sights instead of being in the dining rooms. One question though, if you see something that is posted on the menu outside the restaurants for that evening; but is not on the menu you are offered at Cabana's, can you request the item?
    Animal Kingdom Lodge(2)
    All-Star Movies/Music(6)
    Pop Century(3)
    Beach Club Villas(4)
    Boardwalk Villas(8)
    Coronado Springs
    Hilton Head Island(3)
    Old Key West(4)
    Port Orleans-FQ(2)
    Disneyland(2)
    Disneyland Paris