Quantcast Tips for a successful trip with ONE year old

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for a successful trip with ONE year old

Hi everyone,
    I know this is the best place to ask for help- because you are almost all seasoned Kingdom Professionals! I have been to Disney many, many times. However, this time, we will be traveling with our (will be) 13 month old. I'm already terrified (and very excited!) I know we will need to slow down and keep at his pace, rest, etc... But what are some tips and tricks that you wish you knew the first time you took a little one with you?

Logistics- staying at Polynesian, the last week of February, 2016

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Take it slow. As you stated, you have been many times. If there is something you miss on this trip, you are bound to be back. Make sure you have a comfortable stroller. We took 2 of our 3 kids at this age, and we found that they would take naps in the stroller during the day.

Also take advantage of the baby care centers. They are clean and air conditioned. They also have Disney staff in them willing to make your stop a pleasant one. Don't be concerned. You and the baby will do fine.

One more suggestion would be to ship as many baby items to the resort as possible. With carry on's, stroller, diaper bag etc....you will have enough luggage. Consider shipping a box of diapers and other baby items directly to your resort. Just list your name, day of arrival, and confirmation number on the package.
    '91 Grand Floridian
    '01 Caribbean Beach
    '02 Grand Floridian
    '03 Coronado Springs
    '04 Dolphin / Grand Floridan
    '07 Caribbean Beach
    '07 Disneyland
    '09 Caribbean Beach
    '10 Caribbean Beach
    '11 Pop Century
    '12 Wilderness Lodge (January/February)
    '13 Off Site Rental Home
    '14 Off Site Condo

Post Thanks / Like

Well, good choice of time to go, first off. The weather should be fairly pleasant so you don't need to worry about excessive heat. My advice is to also take it slow, and try to maintain the same schedule that you have at home. Keep bedtime close to the same and follow the same routines for naps as well. It is easy to get distracted and let time just pass by and eventually you have a cranky kid who doesn't sleep well. Take advantage of your baby's early wake ups and get going to the parks early. You can get more done before the crowds get too bad and then take a break at the resort midday. Avoid the compulsion to be a pack rat and bring everything but the kitchen sink. Be a baby gear minimalist. It makes it so much easier to get around, board transportation, etc. Take only what you need for a few hours and replenish when you go back to the room.

Know where the baby care centers are and use them! They are great.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Bring the foods that he eats at home so his system doesn't go wacky on you (you don't want him having an upset stomach). I brought the little jars of baby food that were for older babies (green beans, meat sticks). We still to this day (kids ages 17,14,12, 9, 9) take breaks in the afternoon. It's best to catch rope drop and rest in the heat of the day then head back in the evening. The trip memories I have of my kids at this age are some of the best (it is easier now but I would do it again).Have fun!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree & would add that if you are more hungry from walking around and all the excitement, your baby will be too. I was surprised on our first trip with our son who was nearly 2 at the time as he would wake up in the middle of the night crying bc he was so hungry. The first time it took us by surprise and we were unprepared! Now, 9 years later, I still keep snacks in our room for such events

I really recommend sending a box down with diapers and other essentials. Don't forget you can do laundry at Disney. Also, bring a wash cloth in a ziplock bag for extra clean up options as well as an extra set of clothing to the parks.

Some of my best WDW memories are with my kids when they were babes. Have fun!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

I actually do NOT recommend sending a box down ahead of time. Pack the stuff as usual and then you will have plenty of room to bring back souvenirs!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Pack an extra outfit in a Ziploc bag and toss it in your backpack/diaper bag for the day. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll need to change them at some point throughout the day, and the bag gives you a place to put soiled clothes.
    Ice water is free at all kiosks. If the little one gets overheated, or extra thirsty, this is a cheaper/healthier option that purchasing a drink.
    We've taken each of our 3 for their first birthday, then again multiple times after. We've learned that most of the time they love the characters at a year old, but then are terrified of them at 2 (then love them again by the next year). Don't plan your trip around characters until you know how your little one is going to like them. I've had to change ADRs mid trip, because our oldest wouldn't have anything to do with them, and I wasn't paying to scare her.
    Lastly, I would advise to take lots of candid pictures. Don't wait for the pose to snap the pic. The wonder and excitement in their eyes is something you'll treasure for years, so take pictures of them watching the parades, their face when they see Mickey for the first time, watching the balloons on Main Street, and so forth. Memory Maker is well worth it (to me, at least), but keep your camera handy, too.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the tip about candid photos, I wasn't even thinking of things like that!

Thank you, everyone, for all of your helpful tips and tricks! It's great to hear about your past experiences!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: