Quantcast Southwest or Delta

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southwest or Delta

Delta can get us to MCO for 140 one way but it has a stop of 1 hour and 12 minutes. Southwest fares are not out yet. This is our April break so JetBlue is crazy money. Would you wait for Southwest to have their fares or book with Delta?
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough call. For us, there would be a few factors. Can you get SW non-stop normally? That's a big plus for me.... Do you have to add on fees for bags or booking seats on Delta, or is that the final price?

It's a very busy time of year, but our preference for SW would have us waiting - but get right out there when your dates open on their calendar!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like airfare for april 23 won't be out until Sept. since August 11th they are up to April 11.

Thinking of waiting also and booking the minute they come out. Is that normally at 12 a.m.? Have never flown them before.
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catzle View Post
    Looks like airfare for april 23 won't be out until Sept. since August 11th they are up to April 11.

Thinking of waiting also and booking the minute they come out. Is that normally at 12 a.m.? Have never flown them before.
    Southwest typically releases their new schedule around 10am Central time, but they've been known to do it earlier.

Personally, I would wait. Southwest is by far my favorite airline. Every once in a while I (unwisely) decide to fly another airline for some reason. I always regret it. For instance, we're taking our granddaughter to WDW in about a month. Flights from Portland to MCO on SW were typical, but with a 7 year old, the schedules were not ideal - either having to get up way too early or not get in to Orlando until very late. I decided to go with the red-eye (she likes redeyes, apparently) on American. Price-wise, AA was about $25 more after baggage fees. The trouble started about 3 weeks later. AA has changed our flight twice now, eliminating the redeye altogether. The first change was bad, but the second was worse. They not only wanted us to get up as early as the SW flight, but do a 3 hour layover and end up getting in to Orlando even later than the SW flight we had rejected as being too late. I was able to make enough stink with AA that they put us on an Alaska flight from PDX to DFW (FYI, Alaska is a partner of AA and, frankly, a much better airline) that is actually a redeye. But I had to research that myself - AA didn't offer it as an option even though it's on their schedule. But now I have to change terminals at DFW .

One of the things I like about SW the best is that they almost never change their schedule once they've released it. Friendliness, competence and consistency are 3 words that best describe SW.

So for me, this is a no brainer. I'd wait. But your mileage my vary.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to wait. Will keep an eye on when flights will be out and book the day they come out. Thanks!!
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

When we recently booked SW for our Nov trip I went on at 6 am the day they were released and found out I could have gone on at midnight. The senior fare for my Mom and other deals were gone so try to get on as early as you can.

We were like you because the last few trips to Disney were during holiday time so we were concerned about waiting for SW to get fares out. No airline except SW goes to Orlando nonstop from our airport so we would choose US Air which had the best times and price of the other big airlines. It was tough but this time I held out for SW where we do not have bag fees and will fly straight there instead of like our past trips where we flew for an hour or so and then had to try to make another flight in a tight window and then another hour or so flight. The price is a lot cheaper as well. We paid for the early bird checkin to get a good boarding spot. In case you do not know what I am referring to is that they do not assign seats. When you check in online the day before you are assigned a group to board and they call you to get in line to board based on your group in number order. Most people do that at 24 hours before. If you pay extra for the early bird for both ways I think it was $12 per person each way and they automatically check you in a certain number of hours before the 24 hour people so usually you can get in the late A group or early B group. We feel it is worth it so you do not have to worry about checking in and getting a good position ensures your group can sit together and where you want on the plane.

Post Thanks / Like

I would all but guarantee that Delta flight will change many times before your actual trip. That's why I stopped considering them for air travel, period.

I'll pay more on any other airline than travel with Delta. I've never had a problem on Southwest. I'd pick them, hands down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I've never had a problem on Southwest. I'd pick them, hands down.
    Ditto.

best,

....................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Southwest! Everytime I choose something else I get screwed somehow in the process (it changes 10 times, mechanical problems, layovers, etc).

Plus no charge for luggage!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Plus with MANY flights with them under my belt, their flight crews and cabin crews seem to have a wonderful sense of humor. Not just the cabin crews either... often the guys and gals on the flight deck clearly have some fun with what they are doing.

One time I had one head cabin crew member that could have been a stand up comic and been quite successful.

And oh yeah.... FREE baggage. Did I mention free baggage?

best,

..................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

We avoid Delta and American like the plaque. I have looked into some of their flights out west and their layovers are absolutely ridiculous. As are their prices.
    We used to fly all the time with Southwest, but we switched to Jet Blue. Both fly out of Providence and Jet Blue usually has lower prices and you get to pick your own seat. You have to pay something like $12.50 a flight segment to get an A boarding pass with Southwest.
    Jet Blue now has bag-check fees, but my wife and I have decided to pack lighter and take our luggage on the plane with us as carry-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

You actually don't have to pay anything to get an A boarding pass on SW - if you check in at the 24-hour mark. If you do opt for the Early Bird purchase, it's $12.50 for the entire flight - not each segment. And even a B boarding pass allows us to sit together.

Love JetBlue, too - but so disappointed they now find it necessary to charge for bags.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: