Quantcast Wheelchair and certain rides

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheelchair and certain rides

How does it work with a wheelchair and steps in a line....TSM is an example. Is there a way around this. My son does not want to experience the rides in a wheelchair. Can he transfer even on rides that do have the ability to ride in the wheelchair? I hope this makes sense

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know there is a separate entrance for Toy Story Mania that bypasses the staircases.

Yes, if your son has the ability to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride, he can certainly do that. If you need to transfer him, you can do that; however, I know that cast members are not allowed to assist people to transfer from chairs to the ride so the person either needs to be able to transfer themselves or be with someone who can assist in the transfer.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, any ride with steps in the line (such as TSMM, or Splash) has a "split-off" point, where wheelchairs go an alternative way onto the ride. When you get to the loading area, for the rides that can take a wheelchair, the CM will ask if you want to transfer or stay in the chair.

We did two trips with DD in a wheelchair. The one before her surgery, she could transfer, the one after she couldn't. Both were easy, and we had almost no issues at any ride (Buzz Lightyear being the only exception). The CM's will let you know where to go, and he will always have the choice to transfer or ride in his chair.

There are just a couple of rides that aren't as accessible: Peter Pan, and the PeopleMover, for both you have to be able to walk, and use a moving walkway.

Haunted Mansion can sometimes be a tricky one too, but we had no issues with them stopping the ride, and us helping DD to transfer.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! It eases my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to be of help!

If you have any specific questions about any rides, just let us know. Disney really does make travelling with wheels as easy as possible.
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

At Jungle Cruise and Thunder Mountain ( MK), you go to the handicap entrance(exit of thunder mountain ) and the CM will give you a return time FP. Looks like the old paper ones. At the Tea Cups just go to the entrance and the CM will let you know where to wait. Don't know about the others at MK. At TSMM, you can use either Stand by line or have a FP. Once you get your glasses and get to the turnstile the CM will have you go to the right ( up the ramp) where they load wheelchairs, ECV etc.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't planning on getting a DAS card. Will they still give me a return time for BTMR? I have a FP+ for that and I am wondering if it will be wasted. From what I understood...the DAS card was needed for a return time. But, I could be wrong. My son is able to walk but tires out and can't stand in lines, that's why we have to bring the chair in the line but I thought that the DAS card was more for someone that had another reason they couldn't be in in line.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some additional information you might find helpful.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by momof3+twins View Post
    I wasn't planning on getting a DAS card. Will they still give me a return time for BTMR? I have a FP+ for that and I am wondering if it will be wasted. From what I understood...the DAS card was needed for a return time. But, I could be wrong. My son is able to walk but tires out and can't stand in lines, that's why we have to bring the chair in the line but I thought that the DAS card was more for someone that had another reason they couldn't be in in line.
    You are exactly correct! The DAS is to provide an alternate waiting area, so it isn't given out for those with mobility needs.

They might still give you a return time for BTMR. I've had it go both ways, I've gotten a return time, and been allowed right on. If it is something you want to be sure to do, use the FP+, and then you can get a return time if you'd like to go again.
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: