Quantcast Moderate vs. Value resort

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moderate vs. Value resort

Hello!

I just booked airfare to Orlando for a trip October 16th-22nd with my wife and 2 sons (will be 7 and 4). As you can see from my signature, our recent trips to WDW have involved stays at Moderate and Deluxe resorts.

For this trip we are considering staying at either Coronado Springs (our fave moderate) or All Star Sports (our boys are huge sports nuts). Having not stayed at a value resort, I am curious what opinions you all have on staying at this resort?

What are some pros and cons to staying at a value vs. moderate? We'd be able to save $550 or so to go to a value resort, which would be great, but not exactly necessary for us to make the trip. Is it worth it to save the money and stay at a value? Or should I say, worth it to spend more for the moderate level?

On another note, is it worth it to pay for a preferred room?

I look forward to getting your thoughts! Thanks in advance!
    Off-Site - 86, 90, 94, 99, 01, 03, Jan 04, Jul 04, May 05, Dec 05
    96 Polynesian
    May 04, Nov 10 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 04, Apr 05, Jan 06, May 09, Oct 15 Coronado Springs
    Dec 04, Dec 13 Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct 05, Nov 07 Caribbean Beach
    Oct 12 Bay Lake Towers

Next trip - ??

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If money is no object I'd stay at a moderate. We have, many times, in our 20+ years going to WDW stayed in the values because of $$$. In the past, with the kids, we could afford to go almost every year by staying in the value resorts. Our least favorite value is sports. Even the kids preferred movies over the sports.

We found the sports resort was louder and seemed to have more unsupervised children running around than the other values.

Have fun whichever resort you pick!
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

The rooms and beds are smaller. We've enjoyed staying at Value resorts but Moderates are where we like to stay.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Are you a park commando or do you like to spend time at the resort? If you like to spend time at the resort I think the nicer feature pool (with slides), larger rooms, sit down dining options and extra amenities are worth the extra cost. I definitely prefer moderates but lots of people are happy at the values.

But if you only stay at the resort to sleep, I'd try out a value and see if you like it.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We're moderate fans, really for the pools. Even though DD is getting to be a "big kid" the themed pools (and the slides) were always very important to her, and DH and I loved the hot tub at the end of the night.

The value resort rooms are also smaller. We like to spread out a bit, and find that over the vacation we (and our stuff) "expands. The extra room is very much appreciated for us.

Now, the values are fine, and there is no doubt you can have a great trip, no matter where you stay. But, if you're planning any resort time at all, I think a moderate is money well spent.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We prefer mods, especially POFQ. Much prefer queen beds over full.
    wdwfanva

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the extra money spent on your resort doesn't mean skipping experiences/extras such as character meals or shows, park hopping, children's activities & the like, I would go with the moderate. For all the reasons mentioned above.

If there is ANYTHING AT ALL you would have to take a pass on in order to go moderate, the values would do just fine.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Values- Like going on a Greyhound.
    Moderates- Flying first class
    Delux- Private Jet
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have not stayed in a value but I have seen them as other family members have stayed there. I have however done moderates & deluxes. There is a Big space difference. But being at Disney is all the matters - what do the kids think? Some of the theming is cool. Some of the pools seem like they would be fun but the values re always packed or so they seem. The social layout of the moderates really give you more of a relaxed atmosphere that I desire on a vacation. What I don't like is the limited space & the noisy aspect of the values. And I see less of a savings when you look at the suites or preferred rooms. With that little of a savings it isn't worth the compromise to me. Enjoy your trip no m atter where you stay. Have you considered a split stay for the best of both?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your replies and input.

We do spend most of our time in the parks, however we would also likely spend time at the pool. I didn't realize that the rooms and beds were that much smaller in the values vs. the moderates.

Yesterday we watched youtube videos of both resorts. Our boys preferred the theming of AS-Sports however with the pool slide (7yr old) and playground (3yr old) they warmed up to Coronado. At this point based on the bed size, noise factor and the preference of my wife and I we will probably be staying at Coronado again. Thanks again!
    Off-Site - 86, 90, 94, 99, 01, 03, Jan 04, Jul 04, May 05, Dec 05
    96 Polynesian
    May 04, Nov 10 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 04, Apr 05, Jan 06, May 09, Oct 15 Coronado Springs
    Dec 04, Dec 13 Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct 05, Nov 07 Caribbean Beach
    Oct 12 Bay Lake Towers

Next trip - ??

Post Thanks / Like

It has been many years since we have stayed at All Start Sports, but with it being just my husband and I at the time, it wasn't a big deal. I think things were different back then (2006), and the parks were less busy. These days there are meets, cheerleading events, large groups that take over the smaller values. Staying in the Sports one was nice bc it seemed like we were the first dropped off and the first to be picked up. I can verify if that is true anymore. Now that we have kids, 3&5 yo and after having stayed in a value last year (Pop) I am so looking forward to staying in a moderate in the future. The laid back nature of POFQ especially is WORTH the extra $ when you are trying to relax, in some respect. The lines for the busses are longer at values, the food courts are more hectic, the pools are more hectic. I haven't stayed at Coronado but I have entertained the idea, however POFQ is our favorite mod we have stayed at so far.
    Had previous account but can no longer access :(
    8 previous trips, including honeymoon.
    Two kids 5 & 7 years old.
    One of 'those' WDW fans.

Next: POFQ, our home! April 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    Are you a park commando or do you like to spend time at the resort? If you like to spend time at the resort I think the nicer feature pool (with slides), larger rooms, sit down dining options and extra amenities are worth the extra cost. I definitely prefer moderates but lots of people are happy at the values.

But if you only stay at the resort to sleep, I'd try out a value and see if you like it.
    I agree. I always tell people to consider how they are vacationing at WDW. If you are planning on spending all your time at the parks, don't waste your money on the Deluxe or even moderate resorts. You will be paying for a lot of features that you will not use.

On the other hand, if you like to spend your waking hours at the resort then you should upgrade to the moderate or deluxe resorts.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of reasons to choose the moderates over value resorts, and one could even argue that if you don't plan to spend much time in the room, why pay more for a moderate? My answer would be, "Because I've never stayed at a moderate where kids ran up and down past our room knocking on the door at midnight as a prank."

Values are where all of the school groups go. Most groups do a good job of keeping the kids in check, but not all, and all it takes is one rowdy group to ruin your night.

Besides that, the food courts at the moderates are far better than the food courts at the values.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

All Star Sports is where we had our worst stay ever on Disney property. Granted, it was a looonnnggg time ago, but there was noise and constant activity in the public areas until the wee hours of the morning (we had a room off the big football field). It turned us off to the values for a long time, until Pop Century came along (which I've stayed at several times, including last March). If you want to save some money, than the values are the way to go, but I still much prefer staying at a moderate.

I love Coronado Springs, but have you thought about trying out one of the other moderates? It would be a whole new experience for the family and sometimes the other moderates are a little cheaper than Coronado Springs.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops--just saw from your signature that you have stayed at Riverside and Caribbean Beach, so I guess you know what they're all about too. If Coronado is your favorite, then it sounds like a good choice!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

The moderates are a very big upgrade, the grounds are beautiful, rooms are better etc. HOWEVER, we stay at the values almost every trip. It makes it possible to go more often due to their cheap price. We still have a great time! They have a food court and pool and the "disney magic." They are a little more "motel" like, however, they are not even comparable to the moderates in price, much cheaper!
    #rundisney

Marathon Weekend Half Marathon: 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015

Next Trip: Wine and Dine Half Marathon-November 2015 (trip 24)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

We've stayed at both and personally prefer the mods.

We stayed at POP and it was a neat experience but we found it to be busy, loud and crowded all the time. It had the same energy as being in the park all day. Big downside for us was no hot tubs for the end of day soak.

At the FQ, we find it's like taking a breath after running all day, still busy but not with that same frantic energy, and more relaxing.

We also noticed that there seemed to be a lot more irritated, yelling parents and kids at POP. Not our ideal atmosphere.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: