Quantcast First ever trip to DL in 2016!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First ever trip to DL in 2016!!!

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.... please move as needed... So Sorry!!!

DH and I are looking into our first ever trip to DL in late April or early May, 2016. We have been to WDW about 38 times now, and decided that next year we wanted to experience the Diamond Celebration at DL. We plan to stay 5 or 6 days. I'm sure we'll get to WDW in October of next year, or maybe include a DCL cruise, too.... , but we must experience the Diamond Celebration.

Still looking at which resort to stay at (Disneyland Hotel is in first place so far). We're not fans of Wilderness Lodge, so the Grand Californian doesn't really move us. The decor just doesn't resonate with us. Any rooms/views at the Disneyland Hotel that are not to be missed?

I already know that we MUST dine at Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55. We also will definitely do breakfast with Stitch at the PCH Grill. We like nice sit down dinners... what else would we love? Any other breakfasts that are must-do's?

We are such WDW pros, and it feels so weird to be a newbie planning a Disney trip, but it's so exciting!! We were watching the Paint the Night parade on YouTube, and as soon as it was over, DH looked over at me with "that look", and I was in tears. I knew a trip was in the works immediately!

So, all tips and advice welcome. It's just the two of us (no kids), so we want to experience all of the adult offerings there.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm SO excited for you!!! 5-6 days is perfect.

Definitely recommend Disneyland Hotel for first timers, and since you are already leaning that way, do it! The hotel oozes Disney history.

I promise you'll want to check out the Grand Californian, and by eating there like you've plan, you can do just that. Besides Napa Rose, and since you were asking about other breakfasts, I'd suggest Storyteller's. It's a fun character breakfast, and you can either do the buffet, or order off the menu. Another wonderful sit down meal is Carthay Circle in California Adventure.

With the amount of time you've planned to stay, you'll have no issues taking everything in. I think you'll be pleased with how easy it is to get around (no busses, no boats, etc.)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to agree with and repeat a lot of the things Melanie already said.

If you know the Grand Californian probably won't be to your liking, go for the Disneyland Hotel. My preference of towers in order: Adventure Tower, Frontier Tower, then Fantasy Tower. No matter which tower you end up in, visit them all. Each has it's own feel and little discoveries to be made.

Carthay Circle is a sit down restaurant I would recommend for lunch or dinner and you can use the visit to get World of Color Fastpasses in what I consider to be the best viewing area. If you don't get to Steakhouse 55 for dinner go there for breakfast, my favorite breakfast on property.

While not fancy, I like the Carnation Cafe on Main Street at Disneyland for lunch or dinner. Also enjoy sitting outside in the middle of Downtown Disney at Uva Bar. Full bar and a menu that has always had something I've enjoyed - salads, sandwiches, and the like. You can eat and people watch at the same time.

Paint the Night was amazing and I am looking forward to seeing it again. I'm happy to hear it inspired you to visit the Disneyland Resort.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I need to add a breakfast at Steakhouse 55 to our list! I will also look into all of the other great recommendations so far! Food is always a big part of our trips to WDW, so it won't be any different here.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Looks like I need to add a breakfast at Steakhouse 55 to our list! I will also look into all of the other great recommendations so far! Food is always a big part of our trips to WDW, so it won't be any different here.
    Yes, Linda is correct. Breakfast at Granville's, errr Steakhouse 55, is a must for us every trip. So good!

Post Thanks / Like

For an adults-only trip, be sure to check out Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's for a nice evening at the Disneyland Hotel. Tangaroa Terrace has some really yummy island-style fare, and the drinks and experience at Trader Sam's are not to be missed!
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I also want to add to not discount the counter service restaurants there. The only one I'd avoid is the Lucky Fortune Cookery (the Chinese place on the Pacific Wharf in DCA). There are some really tasty options at the resort.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    I also want to add to not discount the counter service restaurants there. The only one I'd avoid is the Lucky Fortune Cookery (the Chinese place on the Pacific Wharf in DCA). There are some really tasty options at the resort.

Agreed! Lots of amazing counter service restaurants at DLR.

Post Thanks / Like

You've gotten good advice so far.

I will throw in my standard plug for some of the Downtown Disney restaurants.

Huge thumbs up for Uva Bar. GREAT food and a really unique location.

Naples...it's basically Via Napoli "West Side". Although it was there first.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. Amazing food. Service can be hit or miss, but they have a really lively Sunday Brunch with live jazz piano that is pretty fun.

I can also HIGHLY recommend Catal at Downtown Disney. Both breakfast and dinner are phenomenal.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I'm SO excited for you!!!
    This too was my very first thought when I read your title.

My first trip was a couple of years ago. I hope to make my third trip this year during the Diamond Celebration. I have very little experience compared to everyone commenting so far, but I agree that CS is fantastic. Since I've only been twice, I obviously haven't tried everything but we'll definitely hit Royal Street Veranda again in New Orleans Square. Their bread boules are phenomenal.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I can see already that we're going to eat WAY too much on this trip!!
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I can see already that we're going to eat WAY too much on this trip!!
    That's ALWAYS my problem on Disney trips!
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going in August , basically the same situation, we have been to WDW about 22 times but this is our maiden voyage to Anahiem. We are very excited.
    I booked Napa Rose already, but will use the ideas in this thread for more reservations.

I heard there is a restaurant thats alot like Whispering Canyon. Which is it? Do you recommend it?
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time on your trip! I can't comment on it but i do feel your excitement. We are taking a similar trip ourselves to DL for the first time in 2016. Just hubby and I, thinking we will also stay at Disneyland Hotel. We are waiting until the fall, I hear the Halloween decorating at DL is superior to WDW....can't wait. Have a blast!

First Trip - 2001 February - Off Property
    Second Trip - 2012 October - Pop Century, MNSSHP
    Third Trip - 2013 October - Pop Century, MNSSHP
    Fourth Trip-2015 April -Pop Century, Caribbean Beach
    Fifth Trip - 2015 October - Caribbean Beach Resort, MNSSHP
    Sixth trip - 2016 October - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post

I heard there is a restaurant thats alot like Whispering Canyon. Which is it? Do you recommend it?
    I cannot think of anything at DLR that is similar to Whispering Canyon Cafe. There is Mickey Backyard BBQ inside Disneyland park. They serve a family style BBQ skillet meal. It is outdoors at Big Thunder Ranch.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I second the recommendation for Ralph Brennen's Jazz Kitchen in DTD! We love their food and ambiance/performances. We especially love the gentlemen who is there from 6-8pm on Thursday evenings - he was amazing!!

The Traittoria for lunch/World of Color dining package in CA is very nice as well! I recommend the fast pass/dining package for World of Color. It works really well.

The Blue Bayou is great for ambiance! It kind of reminds me of eating at San Angel only you are watching the boats for Pirates go by. They also have a Fantasmic dining package although since you go to WDW a lot I'm sure you've seen Fantasmic and you may not want to bother with that.

As for counter service - we like to eat at the French Market Cafe in DL, We also like to snack at the Bengal BBQ place across from Indiana Jones.

We will be visiting my aunt in November and staying at Paradise Pier for a few days so we will be trying the PCH Grill breakfast as well as I am a Lilo & Stitch fan myself

Have fun! It's sooooooo different but in a good way. Oh - and don't be disappointed - it's a BABY castle compared to WDW!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: