Quantcast Southwest

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Southwest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southwest

Does this happen often? We were booking our flights for our upcoming October trip..6 people flying total but buying in 3 separate units. First two groups bought theirs..then the price jumps up..in a matter of 15-20 minutes..Same flights...
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It happened to us back in December. My parents, husband and I are going to Vegas in July. They bought their tickets, a few minutes later I logged on to book the tickets for my husband and I and the ticket price for one leg of our trip jumped $15. So weird.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    ~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, a fairly common occurrence. I book travel for an entire sales team, and many of them are faithful Southwest flyers (as am I). If I have to book several of them on the same flights for a conference or trade show, I usually get two or three of the lowest available fares, then it jumps for the next couple. It usually is not a substantial fare difference though.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it happens because Southwest (like every other air carrier) sells a limited number of seats at each price point. Once those seats are gone, they move to the next highest price point.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

As Natalie says, this is a normal and industry standard occurrence. There are indeed a limited number of seats tagged at specific price points, and the airlines (Southwest in particular, since they've been doing it longer than anyone else) know pretty much exactly how many seats they need to sell at what price to not only fill the plane, but maximize their revenue.

Because of this, even when you're flying with just 2 in your party, you should always check what the price is a single seat. It could be that there is one seat available at a lower price. But you won't see that price if you try to book 2 seats - you'll only see the next higher price. Same thing happens for any size group. I booked a trip for DW, myself and our granddaughter a couple of months ago. Price per seat for all three of us at once was $244 each. Price for just two of us? $164 each. I booked two at $164 and then booked the third seat at $244. Yes, I now have 2 confirmation numbers to keep track of, but that's hardly a problem - especially when saving $160.

Oh, and at least on Southwest, those lower priced seats "can" come back into the available inventory. If someone purchases a seat with a low fare and then months later cancels the reservation, it is most likely that the seat(s) will still have that lower fare attached to them, and the next person looking for a seat will see that price. This is why you will occasionally see "price reductions" on certain flights as you get closer to the actual departure date.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

For some idiotic reason last year, I booked my husband's flights first, then went back in and did mine separately within 5 minutes of each other, start to finish. My flight was about $50 higher than his. Called SW and got told there are only so many "special" seats and apparently he got the last one. I always knew he was "special"!

Post Thanks / Like

Booked mine for September because I was afraid prices would go up and now it's $99.00 out of Chicago - arggggghhhhhh. 72 hour sale
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    Booked mine for September because I was afraid prices would go up and now it's $99.00 out of Chicago - arggggghhhhhh. 72 hour sale
    Just cancel and rebook. Southwest doesn't charge to do that. The dollar amount difference will be given to you in the form of a SW credit.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Just cancel and rebook. Southwest doesn't charge to do that. The dollar amount difference will be given to you in the form of a SW credit.
    You don't even have to cancel and rebook. Just go on-line and "Change" your flight. The system will let you "change" a flight to the same flight and in the process it will use the current available fare and give you any credit due.

You do have to use any credit (meaning complete a trip using the credit) within a year from the original purchase date.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - may cost more than just an airline credit as it may force another trip to WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    Thanks - may cost more than just an airline credit as it may force another trip to WDW
    And that's a bad thing?

Steve

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    And that's a bad thing?

Steve
    Haha - it's never a bad thing

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: