Quantcast Walking Path for Monorail resorts?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walking Path for Monorail resorts?

I know this has been asked before and I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is there a walking path connecting all of the Monorail resorts?
    Looks like we might be staying at the Contemporary for a few days in December, and relatives are staying at the Poly. We don't mind a nice walk, so I was hoping not to have to take the monorail every time we wanted to go over there and hang out with them.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be a negative. The walk around the world was planned but never completed.

The portions completed are...

- Mk to contemporary

- GF to Poly to TTC

Mk heads in the direction of the GF but ends where a bridge would be required to cross the water.

If you want, take the monorail one stop to the TTC and enjoy the stroll to the poly and then on to the Grand Floridian
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, my theory is that someone woke up and figured out that if they completed that bridge or walk that day guests to the parks might start crowding the Deluxe Monorail Resorts - and they decided to pull the plug.

I could be wrong.... At least I got my brick in front if the Magic Kingdom! 😁

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Btw, my theory is that someone woke up and figured out that if they completed that bridge or walk that day guests to the parks might start crowding the Deluxe Monorail Resorts - and they decided to pull the plug.
    Well that makes sense, except that park guests can still go to the monorail resorts all they want to, even easier than walking, on the monorail!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want, take the monorail one stop to the TTC and enjoy the stroll to the poly and then on to the Grand Floridian
    Great point! I forgot about that. That's why you're the best! Thanks for the info!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Well that makes sense, except that park guests can still go to the monorail resorts all they want to, even easier than walking, on the monorail!

Used to be they would check for your resort card id to get on the resort monorail. You also had to show a guard at a shack on the way over to the contemporary if you wanted to walk that way... But I'm old enough to remember that.

I guess if you could just wander over, it might make it easier. Truth is, the infrastructure and cost probably is the real reason 😉

Post Thanks / Like

Used to be they would check for your resort card id to get on the resort monorail. You also had to show a guard at a shack on the way over to the contemporary if you wanted to walk that way... But I'm old enough to remember that.

I guess if you could just wander over, it might make it easier. Truth is, the infrastructure and cost probably is the real reason ��
    The small canal that would have to be crossed is the staging area for the barges that carry the Electrical Water Pageant. It appears that the screens on those barges sit as high as 20 feet, maybe even higher. A bridge that high with that short of a span would be a rather steep grade, or they would have to construct a couple of flights of stairs on each end similar to the new pedestrian bridge at Downtown Disney. I can see that getting pretty expensive.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    The small canal that would have to be crossed is the staging area for the barges that carry the Electrical Water Pageant. It appears that the screens on those barges sit as high as 20 feet, maybe even higher. A bridge that high with that short of a span would be a rather steep grade, or they would have to construct a couple of flights of stairs on each end similar to the new pedestrian bridge at Downtown Disney. I can see that getting pretty expensive.

Drawbridge... 😁

Only real solution but one that could have been done given the boats only roll out once a night.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. I also remember a cast member standing at the entrance to the monorail at Epcot and you had to show a resort ID card to start up the ramp to the monorail.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    That canal is connected to the Rivers of America and needs to be able to get the Liberty Belle out for drydock.

I'm sure it's an expense thing though. Even at $50-$125 a brick (pretty sure that was the cost back in the mid 90's) it probably didn't cover the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    That canal is connected to the Rivers of America and needs to be able to get the Liberty Belle out for drydock.

I'm sure it's an expense thing though. Even at $50-$125 a brick (pretty sure that was the cost back in the mid 90's) it probably didn't cover the cost.
    Its also used for barges to take large items to and from backstage areas.

The span is fairly large and they would run into a few problems creating it. It would have to be wheelchair and ECV compliant which would mean 240 ft of ramp on each side assuming a 20ft rise. So a fixed bridge would be out of the question.

So it would have to be a lift bridge. But that means controlling the access. In this world of liability it would likely mean CMs at both sides ensuring the bridge is clear before moving. They could try automated surveillance but that isn't reliable and does no good for the inevitable people who would ignore gates. So, real people at real cost.

So a bridge costing several million with non- trivial operating costs means it's a no go. The ROI just isn't there.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: